What to ship?

So I am going on my own to Australia next year. I have applied for a 189 visa but am initially going out for 2 years to see how I find it, and will then make a decision whether to stay longer term.

What do I take? All my furniture in the UK is cheap IKEA stuff so not sentimental or of much value. So I'm not attached to taking it with me. Especially if I decide to come home in 2 years for a while. Unless anyone thinks its worth it?

But is it realistic to get everything I'd want to take with me into 2 suitcases and in 30kg? Currently I can only think of clothes/shoes and paperwork.

I read posts on here about taking things that make a place feel like home? Like what? Photos?

Any advice/ideas lovely community?

What is important to you and what you want to keep.

Each person is different. If you are happy with only what you can carry in your luggage, then thats fine. If you want to bring a bit more, some more personal effects, ie books you've collected over the years, knick knacks, items of sentimental value, then bring those and ship a couple of extra boxes.

Hi, to me your question is all about your personality, and without knowing you its a tricky answer to give. I came here in 2003 with a shipping container 3/4 full and really didn't need it. I live in newcastle and there is nothing I cannot get here..except skips crisps LOL. If I was going to run with your scenario I would have provisions in place sell up and move out here and give this place a real good 100% go. If its for you....you will know in a short time once the honeymoon of a couple of months has passed. Then send a message home saying sell it all, or I will be back soon. From what I've seen it's the heart and family that pull most people back to the UK. So try not to pressure yourself with the small stuff and just see if you like it first, then decide about the rest.

What is important to you and what you want to keep.

Each person is different. If you are happy with only what you can carry in your luggage, then thats fine. If you want to bring a bit more, some more personal effects, ie books you've collected over the years, knick knacks, items of sentimental value, then bring those and ship a couple of extra boxes.

Is getting a small amount of extra stuff out easy? Like 3 or 4 boxes rather than big bits of furniture or large quantities?

Is getting a small amount of extra stuff out easy? Like 3 or 4 boxes rather than big bits of furniture or large quantities?

It is. You just need to contact shipping companies that deal with that sort of thing. Seven Seas are good. We shipped 4 extra boxes (tea chest sized) with them. Keep in mind you'll need proper cardboard shipping boxes which are easy to buy online or from the shipper. And you'll need to comply with customs checks etc.

Family of four who emiigrated in may only came with our 30kg each, aold everything back home brought an album of my wedding pics and one i put togeater of my children growing up the rest of photos in storage at my in laws and each time someone visits they will bring some once we know we made the right choice! Also brough some seentimental things such as kids xmas tree decs they made in school we had plenty or room with our hand luggage and enjoyed buying new cheap furniture for now! Everyone is different but we havnt missed anything other than family and friends. Good luck!

Everyone is different. I could never leave with a tea chest of items.

We're doing some Maths here on what to bring....bear in mind, most of us will want similar living comforts / mod cons that we had at 'home', right?

- 2 adults and 3 children's required house contents:

- Full 20 foot container shipping of required house contents (Rep. of Ireland to Melbourne): 5,400 EUR (circa 7,722 AUD)

- Cost of replacing same items in Australia (modest Ikea spec): 9,900 EUR (circa 14,157 AUD)

- Example rate: 1.43 rate AUD= 1.00 EUR

We're lucky enough to have assembled 'nice furniture' so to speak - the cost of replacing above is just very basic Ikea rates.

So, we ship, instant home, quality items we know, our identity, all clothes, kids toys, bikes, sporting gear...

Not to ship. A lot of 'selling'. A lot of 'stress' of sourcing and shopping in Aus along with evil 'Ikea assembly'.

To us, and everyone is different, it's a no brainer to pack 'n' ship.

B

Edited by Beaty