Shipping day - how it went

Debs

Well, I was feeling rather anxious having done the obligatory cleaning of shoes, garden chairs and my beloved bike. I was recommended to use Jays disinfectant.

The packers (3 guys) arrived at 11am and we're here until 3:30pm. They came with one van and then a second van came later just to load the boxed up things.

I tried to put my keeping stuff in a separate room, but did go around house to talk through what was going. They worked hard, each starting in a different room, basically boxing everything and sticking with tape and a label with my name on and a number relating to a list saying what was inside. They didn't seem to struggle with any items or size or moving things.

It felt rather strange standing back and letting all this happen, having never experienced packers in precious moves. Large items were wrapped in brown paper and labelled as well.

Generally they seemed methodical and organised and happy to dismantle the beds, legs off table etc, they brought own tools.

So step 1 all good, hard to imagine seeing all the stuff again at some place in Melbourne....

Also hope I've left the right clothes for the interim and hope the amount left fits in my suitcase!

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

We had the opposite, so stressful , one of the packers had Me in tears , he actually left parts of our BBQ out out on the decking out side ,and when I showed them this he just put them on top of my faux suede cream curtains! Not in a bag -just straight on top! He was very rude and discourteous . They broke our drawers through overloading it and pushing it onto two side legs. This is the only one we know of as yet. We've not had out stuff delivered yet. We will never get them in again. I will do it ourselves , I nearly did and I wish I had , but I just couldn't find anyone to pick it up Ozzie end from port and deliver.

Edited by 99redballs

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

I have news my furniture will be delivered tomorrow. :wink:

So it left my UK house on the 26th August and the ship docked Friday 28th October, cleared by customs the following Friday the 4th November and earliest delivery was tomorrow Tuesday the 8th November. So 9 weeks to get to Melbourne and an extra week for clearance.

Overall I think I've managed well. Bought a sofa bed from ikea and kitchen essentials along with TV, kettle, toaster (I didn't pack my uk TV or kettle or toaster). In reality I did manage ok with my large suitcase of clothes.

I stayed in a serviced apartment for 4 weeks that I booked from the uk, and have managed 2 weeks in the house rental. However, I'm really really looking forward to the sofas and bed arriving....

I found the ikea here along with DIY shops and Woolworths supermarkets, the reject shop and The Good Guy's for electrical all reasonable and comparitable prices to the UK.

Anyway... I await tomorrow's delivery to see how everything else has travelled.