How do you sell your car if you decide not to ship it?

Struggling to understand how to sell the car. We'll need it up to the last minute - is WeBuyAnyCar.com the only option for a fast sale?

On our last two moves we have sold back to an authorised dealer. Don't get a good price this way, but you are pretty much guaranteed that they will take it and means you ca keep it until the very last minute you need it.

Yes I went to a dealer...arranged sale/price n kept it few days after that till I was ready to drop off and finalise everything, they would have taken it that day if I wanted too...not best price but quick and easy...we buy any car offered me much less than even dealers were willing to pay, I would only use them in truly desperate circumstances

Yes I went to a dealer...arranged sale/price n kept it few days after that till I was ready to drop off and finalise everything, they would have taken it that day if I wanted too...not best price but quick and easy...we buy any car offered me much less than even dealers were willing to pay, I would only use them in truly desperate circumstances

I once tried a webuyanycar kind of place. They agreed a price based on year, make, model and mileage, we drove an hour for drop off but then when we got there they started sucking in breath, tutting and kicking wheels and tried to knock more money off agreed price. The reality is that the car was in excellent condition that reflected its age but obviously was not in pristine, showroom condition. I would never try anything like that again.

We have a webuyanycar and a wewantanycar by us. We usually get a quote off each, then play them off each other when they try and knock the price down (which they annoyingly always do). Hub's also got them to waiver the admin fee (£50ish) for his last month. Ultimately they do pay less than selling privately but it is a quick guaranteed sale, just play hardball with them.

Edited by M1cha3la

Struggling to understand how to sell the car. We'll need it up to the last minute - is WeBuyAnyCar.com the only option for a fast sale?

Hi

I guess it depends what car you are selling. We agreed a price with we buy any car and a dealer, then offered it on a classified ad on EBay at 14.99 also put it on Gumtree for free. In the ad we said we were emigrating and needed the car up to a certain date. 5 days later we have taken a deposit on the car and he picks it up 21 June! It's worth a try there is nothing to loose.

good luck

Julie

Guest Priscilla101

All of the online ones give you a quote but then change their mind when you get there. I had excellent condition seat online price said £5300. When I went they said as it had been previous fleet car that counts as more than 1 previous owner so could offer me £2300.

I sold it on gumtree for £5000 cash the next week.

Depends on how much more you can get selling privately. If it will be enough to cover the cost of renting a car to cover you then might be worth it.

otherwise hassle free is a dealer.

We have used a dealer and got a competitive price and also once left the car with a relative to sell, they drove us to the airport in it then sold it and sent us the money.

The basic process I followed:

Go online and get estimate for private sale value. Take photos and put the car on Autotrader 2-3 weeks before you want to emigrate.

Go to a couple of dealers and find out what they would give for the car. That's tells you the bottom price you would accept.

See whether anyone is interested in the Autotrader advert. Be aware that people will try to battle the price down and will be rude about the condition of the car, talk about damage, etc. It is wearisome. Do not under any circumstances mention emigration or deadline dates - a buyer will sense you are weak and cut the price they will pay - and the nearer the deadline, the lower their price.

If someone offers more than the dealer, and if it's not going to leave you without a car for too long (hire cars for a couple of days can be affordable) then take the deal - insist on cash or a bankers draft as you can't be around to deal with a bouncy cheque.

Otherwise, arrange a date and time with the dealer and drop the car off on the way to the airport.

You will probably lose money compared to what you could have got if you had been able to sell at your leisure. Accept it and move on.

Get it on autotrader as early as possible and a bit less than similar models, normally would take 4 weeks to sell maybe? if anyone interested and depending how close you are to leaving just ask if you knock a little extra off can you keep hold for a little longer ( get a deposit ) worked for us ( just tell them you got a car on order or something ) final resort dealership or similar.

Webuyanycar quoted me £1700 by email for my last car and I believe they would have cut that down if I had taken it to them. I put it on Autotrader instead and had 5 or 6 people after it. It sold for £3,400. So I agree with others - only use WBAC if you are really really desperate.

We went to WBAC. Offered is £2000 but told us straight out to sell private (it was a Merc C Class Sportscoupe with low mileage). We put it up on Autotrader on Thursday night at 1100pm. Off the driveway at £5500 at 8am the following morning. We flew the following Monday.

I am really surprised by peoples experiences at webuyanycar. We have sold 3 or 4 cars to them, the last one being hubbys bmw. They quoted £19k online, we got £18,700. We could of got £21k privately, so not a huge difference and hassle free. They do have competition by us though with wewantanycar. We just stand firm on what we want for the car, yes they do try to knock you down but it is also discretionary, you can get them back up to the online quote.