New purchases

Mazza227

I have been out and bought a few new things recently ready for shippers coming in soon. I know that new items are liable for tax, and so should not get too much new?

I bought my kids new mattresses which are memory foam ones rolled up in box, this obviously takes up a lot less room than if I unroll them, but not sure if they should be new, or taken out and flattened etc before shipped?

Do they actually check everything and charge for new items?

I have been out and bought a few new things recently ready for shippers coming in soon. I know that new items are liable for tax, and so should not get too much new?

I bought my kids new mattresses which are memory foam ones rolled up in box, this obviously takes up a lot less room than if I unroll them, but not sure if they should be new, or taken out and flattened etc before shipped?

Do they actually check everything and charge for new items?

They are not really looking for householders with a few new things, they are looking for commercial imports. Nevertheless, best to lose original packaging.

I am still trying, but failing to picture rolled up mattresses. :laugh:

That was my next question, do I declare them and an ironing board I've bought? Only other things are new duvet covers etc but I've washed all those so they can be seen as not new I guess
They are not that picky! So all your new knickers will be safe as well!

I bought my kids new mattresses which are memory foam ones rolled up in box, this obviously takes up a lot less room than if I unroll them, but not sure if they should be new, or taken out and flattened etc before shipped? Do they actually check everything and charge for new items?

Really? Why!

Sorry I don't understand why anyone would ship all this stuff.

Fair enough I suppose to bring Great-Grannies chest of drawers that you cannot bear be parted from.

But why would you bring brand new stuff; when you can buy it here.

Personally I would sell all my stuff in the UK, just bring myself over with a suitcase or two (save on shipping costs), then with the money I got from selling stuff and savings on shipping costs - buy the stuff I needed here.

If you have not found a house by the time your stuff arrives, it will have to go into storage and that can be quite expensive.

Not having a go or anything. I just don't understand why people lug stuff to the other side of the world like this.

I will say that customs are very strict here. So make sure all your paperwork is correct and above board. I also recently read on here about people wanting to smuggle food in containers and undeclare it. A big no-no.

Really? Why!

Fair enough I suppose to bring Great-Grannies chest of drawers that you cannot bear be parted from.

Personally I would sell all my stuff in the UK, just bring myself over with a suitcase or two (save on shipping costs), then with the money I got from selling stuff and savings on shipping costs - buy the stuff I needed here.

If you have not found a house by the time your stuff arrives, it will have to go into storage and that can be quite expensive.

Not having a go or anything. I just don't understand why people lug stuff to the other side of the world like this.

I will say that customs are very strict here. So make sure all your paperwork is correct and above board. I also recently read on here about people wanting to smuggle food in containers and undeclare it. A big no-no.

We are paying for a 20ft container anyway so just got a couple of new bits which will all fit in there no problem. It will cost us a heck of a lot more than the £3500 shipping costs to replace everything we are taking, also can't stand shopping so the thought of having to go round the shops out there to start buying everything would drive me mad! so for us it was an easy decision to take everything. Plus I like to think having my furniture which is not that old, will give me a more homely feel when we arrive ;-)

I can understand it, having moved recently. Even given the problem of synchronising the arrival of the stuff and finding a place, it would've been SO much easier to just unpack my own stuff, than to have to schlep all over town - and an unfamiliar town especially - buying everything we needed. We're retired so at least we had the time to do it - but if you've got a couple trying to find work, look after kids, etc, I could imagine it would be even more of a hassle.

Also, there's the question of cost - we sold our old furniture but we got almost nothing for it. We saved on shipping too. But the cost to replace everything has been considerably more than the money we saved, even though we've just bought the basics.

Anyway, when there are kids involved I think you have to ship some of their stuff - toys if nothing else, and having some of their familiar furniture would help them settle in. Once you've decided to ship something, it's not that much more expensive to ship extra, and you may as well go the whole hog.

Really? Why!

Well I wouldn't buy things to ship them, not unless it was something big and I had some really strong proof that it was much more expensive in Australia. But selling everything would raise peanuts, require a lot of time and effort and it would be hugely more expensive to refurnish a 3 bedroom house (say) than pay for a container.

I did the maths on replacing everything, didn't work out favourable for a family of 4. Also the hassle of trying to sell everything. I guess its different for each individual but in our case the cost of a 20' container would not pay for replacing all the stuff once we get there. I remember reading a post on this forum that beds, mattresses etc are quite expensive to buy in Oz.

I'm thinking of getting a move cube to take a few items ( bikes, few kids toys, one expensive wardrobe, one nice bed) but not a shipping container. As we've just bought a new tumble drier and Dyson I'd like to take them. Any problems with taking electrical items to AUS? Then I'll probably stuff in whatever fits to make use of the space....

I did the maths on replacing everything, didn't work out favourable for a family of 4. Also the hassle of trying to sell everything. I guess its different for each individual but in our case the cost of a 20' container would not pay for replacing all the stuff once we get there. I remember reading a post on this forum that beds, mattresses etc are quite expensive to buy in Oz.

Same here. I actually worked out a rough replacement cost for all my stuff for insurance purposes and it came out at about $80,000. Cost of shipping was £4000. We sold a few things like the furniture from our spare bedroom and loads of stuff we decided we could live without and made maybe £500 or £600 from it. Even if we had sold everything there is no way we would have made even half the cost of replacing it all. Financially it made far more sense to ship out stuff. And we had the added bonus of the kids having familiar furniture around them when we moved in to our rental which helped them, and us, feel settled and at home.

That was my next question, do I declare them and an ironing board I've bought? Only other things are new duvet covers etc but I've washed all those so they can be seen as not new I guess

I'd not bother declaring that stuff.

Just one thing though, unless you are timing it right down to the wire you are going to be without your household items for a while at one end or the other. Things like a new irnning board I'd buy here not buy new there and ship. You can pick them up for a decent price in most general stores.

Things most people need once they arrive and are waiting for their container are the general household items, day to day stuff. Kitchen stuff, TV, iron, kettle and so on. I'd not be worried if those things didn't ship as could easily buy here and get a couple of months use out of them before the shipping arrives. The bigger items that cost lots, sofas, beds etc, I'd ship if they were decent. And all the rest of the kitchen stuff. That costs a small fortune and time to replace if you ditch it all in the UK. Make do with the very basics from cheapy stores or op shops to keep you going till the container arrives and you should be fine.

Yes even doing the insurance form and you soon realise how it adds up. Even kitchen equipment, pans, crockery, cutlery and utensils are pretty expensive if you had to replace everything all at once. Just looking around my living room now and if I had to replace every item in this one single room it would be nearly the cost of a container.

Re new purchases, $1000 value of imports into Australia are permitted without having to pay import duty. For those migrating I have understood that household items older than 12 months are exempt for import duty. Please see http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Impo

I would personally declare everything. One would have to have a pretty expensive ironing board and memory foam mattress to cost more than $1k