Items to stock up on and send in our shipping - please help!

Hi everybody,

I started a post very similar to this a few months back but I didn't get a lot of response. We're going to be sending our shipping in a couple of weeks and are really keen to hear what other Brits are, either glad they stocked up on, or wish they had stocked up on when they left the UK.

We're planning on stocking up on toiletries and cosmetics and have been advised to send a supply of new bedding as it's expensive to buy once in Australia. Somebody also mentioned sending a stock of gravy as the stuff bought in Australia doesn't taste the same.

Is there anything else from home that people miss whether it be food or just general items that you'd advise us to make sure we send in our shipping or to send a supply of?

Please help! Thanks very much :-)

Hi, I can't think of exact items now but here there are no one stop shops the same way we had Argos for example. So sometimes those little things are hard to find. I would not send food items you risk of getting stuck and delaying your shipping and paying fines or fumigation fees (these even can apply to wood items).

Thanks @emu. Yes I remember when we had our gap year in Australia in 2008 it was really hard to just pop out and buy little bits and bobs, same with toiletries as well as I never came across a Boots or Superdrug type of store.

If you can think of any items that cost you a lot more in Australia, or that you just wish you could buy and you can't then do let me know :-)

They have Priceland and Chemist Warehouse, just google them, but I do miss Boots, never thought I would but the range is so much better. Books are very expensive I normally order it online from the UK on Book depository.

Hi everybody,

I started a post very similar to this a few months back but I didn't get a lot of response. We're going to be sending our shipping in a couple of weeks and are really keen to hear what other Brits are, either glad they stocked up on, or wish they had stocked up on when they left the UK.

We're planning on stocking up on toiletries and cosmetics and have been advised to send a supply of new bedding as it's expensive to buy once in Australia. Somebody also mentioned sending a stock of gravy as the stuff bought in Australia doesn't taste the same.

Is there anything else from home that people miss whether it be food or just general items that you'd advise us to make sure we send in our shipping or to send a supply of?

Please help! Thanks very much :-)

I didn't stock up on anything and don't wish I had either.

Toiletries are available in Australia, there is no need to stock up, you will find many products are the same and maybe you need to swap a few brands, but you need to adjust sooner or later. Same comments on gravy stock!

Bedding comes for a range of budgets, same as in UK. Sizing is a touch different so if you are bringing beds you might want to bring some spare sets, although we had no particular problems buying in Australia.

The only items I can think of recommending are those which we found ourselves purchasing on trips back, this was good quality, mans business suits, business shoes, business shirts. These things can be pricey or limited in choice in Australia.

I didn't bring anything extra and don't find many things that are much more expensive then the uk. Bedding is not expensive just depends where you buy it from. Food you get used to not having the same brands but most are just as good. The only thing I miss and cannot find is angel delight lol

Edited by Chloe Emerson

Whatever you stock up on will run out eventually and you will have to adapt anyway.

After 6 years, the only thing the yorkie OH still insists on sourcing is Bisto gravy. And it can be found in Sweet Success.

Everything has a substitute.

Do not buy anything you would not normally use. We bought over shampoo etc etc and yes the same brand, same price etc over here. If something is very cheap in UK then stock up otherwise as mentioned simply make your way over with an open mind and find alternatives.

S

I didn't bother stocking up either. Can find Bisto in lots of Coles and Woolies in the Pom section - alongside Marmite, Penguins, Iron Bru, Helmans, Paxo and so on.... As others have said, you're going to have to get used to unfamiliar brands sooner or later, so mights as well embrace the change.

I wish I'd brought huge quantities of Yorkshire Tea, since the supermarkets sell an inferior version over here (same box, but the bags are on a stupid string and it doesn't taste great. It's packed in the United Emirates). Treats From Home and the like import the proper Stuff but charge over 3 x the price you'd pay in the UK. I think a different brand of tea has been the only thing I've been unable to adapt to. I've tried to find a substitute but nothing else will do.

if you have a particular item of clothing you like, buy multiples of it! My favourite jeans have just worn through and they are no longer available on the website I got them from, so really wish I'd purchased more of them. I haven't done much clothes shopping yet, but there's a pretty big mark up on stuff that's usually fairly cheap/basic in the UK. And if you need suits or shirts for work, get a load of them too. M&S deliver for free (over £30) I think, but you have to pay the return postage if the items don't fit.

Food wise, there seems to be substitutes for most things, although I've avoided eating chocolate so far - out of taste and health reasons!

Edited by vickyplum

To be honest, if you buy anything in the quantities you have in mind, you could just buy it online and have it sent. You can get most things in Australia anyway. I wish I had packed my stepladder as they cost an arm and a leg here. I also resent the cost of bedding here (bizarrely called Manchester) but there's no point in stocking up in Britain as bed sizes are different.

I know it's simple and annoying but the thing we couldn't get were boots' bite and sting because you will collect insect bites, much better than anything in oz and pepto bismal for stomach upsets , bed linen and towels are expensive but need to be unwrapped to avoid duty, clothes are expensive, basics like business shirts, short sleeve if going north, are worth considering.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

I haven't found the Yorkshire Tea sold in the supermarkets here to be of inferior quality to the British variety. It still makes a really strong brew, in my opinion. I haven't been to the UK for a while, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the strings had started appearing there too!

I generally don't order anything from the UK or miss very much at all - except the cheaper price of a pint. Having said that, I'm having trouble tracking down a regular towelling bathrobe which is not really expensive, or with short little arms or both. I am considering ordering one in from M and S and taking advantage of the free shipping.

Many of the threads on this forum that moan about the expensive prices in Australia are rapidly becoming out of date as we hit the two dollars to the pound mark once again. Things are certainly about 25% 'cheaper' now than they were in 2012 when I emigrated.

Being the saddo that I am, I did ask Taylor's of Harrogate about the Yorkshire Tea issue and they stated that Yorkshire Tea made in UAE and sold here is blended for Australian water (won't the water quality differ throughout Australia though? They alter the blend to suit hard and soft water areas in the UK), and is 'only marginally different' from that sold in the UK, and also that Australian consumers prefer the string. However, I maintain that it tastes quite different! There's no accounting for taste, I suppose.

Good point re: the cost of things.

I ordered a few items from the UK M&S website recently and they arrived in 3 days! Maybe they hold a load of stock over here.

Does anybody know the situation with paying tax on goods being shipped? I'm stocking up on my usual cosmetics which I know will cost a lot more in Australia but I'm not sure whether to put these in my shipping or my suitcase? I'm looking at sending about 6 of each item I.e. Foundation, mascara etc. Thanks :)