What's the right timing to sort shipping out?

Hi,

We are looking to go back to UK about May 2016 ish (no set date we have to go).

We have only just made the decision and as I'm over anxious im wanting to know what I can sort now and what can be done nearer the time.

we are wanting to use probably just half a container -well this is another question, prob 10 -15 boxes and a queen bed some drawers and perhaps the sofa. I've been reading on here a variety of costs but don't really want to get an official quote as not sure how much we need yet. Any advice?

and any advice on when this needs to be sorted by?

any other advice or suggestions are welcome too, I came with just a suitcase on a working holiday visa and am going back with more than that!! X

You can get quotes and then get them to confirm nearer the time. We got quotes 9 months ago and have just redone them as we are getting close to moving.

Having said that I need a 40 footer because I am taking my Kombi too!

Hi Sarah,

The average international moving customer starts to arrange quotes 3-4 months before move day, although there is no harm getting quotes earlier (although too much earlier you might find prices change) or even at shorter notice than that (although if you're moving in peak season you may struggle with availability if you leave it too late).

If you're only moving a small volume then a shared load service might be a cost effective way of moving, this comes with a slightly longer transit time from collection to delivery in the UK (possibly 12-16 weeks depending on the company you use) so be sure to factor that in when working out your required timescales. If you're looking at budgeting then most companies will be happy to give you an estimate over the phone or using an online volume calculator to give you an idea of cost and then do an official fixed quote nearer the time.

Hope that helps!

Hi Sarah, I'm in the same position except wanting to move a couple of months later. We're just wanting to move our queen bed with matching bedsides & chest of drawers plus some boxes. I got a quote from move cube for just under $2000 but am unsure if it will be big enough. Pls let me know how you go :)

Hi guys, thanks for your help.

ive just been chatting to a friend who said that the container is one quote but the customs taxes/fees are on top and can be thousands.... Is this true? If I've been quoted about. $3000 (with chess), how much may customs cost?

thanks

sarah

I am also looking to move back in Nov 2015 and looking at options. Do you think i should ship home things like fridge freezer, washing machine or would shipping cost mean make more sense to buy in UK?

Hi guys, thanks for your help.

ive just been chatting to a friend who said that the container is one quote but the customs taxes/fees are on top and can be thousands.... Is this true? If I've been quoted about. $3000 (with chess), how much may customs cost?

thanks

sarah

No it is not true. Uk customs is even less likely to look at a container than Australian customs, the chances of you having your container inspected are quite remote. And even then the chances of there being customs to pay is quite remote on your personal possessions.

In terms of timing, there is no need for you to even think about this right now. Get some quotes in about two or three months before you travel, give yourself a bit longer if you are planning to move at a busy time of year, which I understand from my recent move is December / very early January.

Hi Sarah, when I was doing research on this there was one site I went to that said if you were a British citizen returning to the UK you had no tax to pay for shipping in the UK but if you aren't then you would have to. I don't know if this is correct or not :/