Shipping Costs

BearnBob

Hi All,

We are moving from Cheltenham to Sale (Victoria) in April and have had three quotes for shipping.

For a 20ft container, prices range from £4,500 to £5,000, plus marine insurance.

Is this a typical ball park figure?

Many talk about this being the first quote. How do you bring the cost down from such a figure?

Bear

Eek I was expecting under £4k rather than closer to £5k. Speaking to movers at Expos I suspect that they are giving the lowest possible quote. Have just done an online quote for PSS (after being panicked by this thread ;-) ) and it is coming out at £2,300 - £2,800 for a 20ft door to door UK to Brisbane + insurance on top. Will feel disappointed if it comes out substantially more that this when the do formal quote.

How much roughly is insurance?

Will be keeping an eye out to see what other quotes people have had.

Three quotes in so far. Most expensive £4,940 from Crown and £4,040 from White.The only obvious difference is that the Crown service includes AFRA fees. Crown estimate that his will cost £300-£500. Both quotes exclude insurance.Any thoughts on either company or the costs of customs would be appreciated. Bear

I've had three quotes so far for shipping from Feltham (West London) to Melbourne (within 30 miles).

Not taking any large furniture or appliances except double bed and single bed but still seem to have quite a lot of other stuff!!

All three companies have come out to see what I'm shipping and have had varying quotes as follows:

Doree Bonner:

£3489 (+VAT if applicable) - for sole use 20ft container

estimated size required upto 883 cu.ft.

Insurance: 3% of declared value of goods

PSS:

£2779 - for shared container

estimated size required 599 cu.ft.

Insurance: 2.8% of declared value of goods

Crown:

£3200 (approx. - told over phone but waiting for written confirmation) - for shared container

estimated size and Insurance was similar to PSS.

Once I've got all my quotes, I'll try negotiating a discount, but will probably not bother with Doree Bonner. They have wildly over estimated the size I require and as a result their quote is a lot higher.

I have used Crown before (when moving from Dubai to UK) but I wasn't paying for it then. I had no issues with them then and I like the fact that it is the same company at both ends. As previously posted by someone, they also include some of the additional fees in their quote.

Will try and update once I have full quote from Crown.

Thanks Baby Pom,

Guess living 232 outside the Melbourne CBD adds a bit - not sure what effect Cheltenham might've on the UK costs.

Am keen to drive the quotes down a bit further. I do like the all-in approach of Crown but not the price! White appear keen for the business but at £4k that's still fair chunk of money.

Bear

Thanks Baby Pom,

Guess living 232 km outside the Melbourne CBD adds a bit - not sure what effect Cheltenham might've on the UK costs.

Am keen to drive the quotes down a bit further. I do like the all-in approach of Crown but not the price! White appear keen for the business but at £4k that's still fair chunk of money.

Bear

Can anyone tell me when using a shipping container if it matters what boxes are used to fill it? I mean do you get them supplied as part of a package or do you source your own?

If you're having a full packing service boxes should be included, if you're self packing then you should be given the option to purchase these from the moving company and have them delivered in advance or to source your own (but if you do make sure they are proper moving boxes and not used supermarket cartons etc).

Have now received proper quote from Crown as follows:

£3250 - for shared container (This also includes DAFF inspection fee which may be in the region of £200-250)

estimated size required 640 cu.ft.

Insurance: 3.7% of declared value of goods (plus 6% tax)

Based on this and my previous quotes, I will try and get Crown to reduce to closer to £3000 and arrange my own insurance.

I'll try to let you know how I get on.

Guest The Pom Queen
Have now received proper quote from Crown as follows:

£3250 - for shared container (This also includes DAFF inspection fee which may be in the region of £200-250)

estimated size required 640 cu.ft.

Insurance: 3.7% of declared value of goods (plus 6% tax)

Based on this and my previous quotes, I will try and get Crown to reduce to closer to £3000 and arrange my own insurance.

I'll try to let you know how I get on.

We used Crown based on reviews here for our last move we were told it was a Crown to Crown service but it wasn't they outsourced to a local company up here and we ended up with them unloading someone else's container on us, they then went back and came in a road train style truck which there was no way it would go up our hill so they once again had to go back and reload. We had lots and lots of damage, we used a third party insurance company who were excellent thankfully as Crown didn't want to know.

I have invited 3 companies to come and quote. John Mason, Pickfords, Bishops Move. Might try a 4th, trying to decide who. We expect to need a full 20ft container as we have a fair amount of furniture in our 3 bed house. Don't trust these online estimates the sites have. They all come out at less than £3000. Judging by threads on PIO I am expecting nearer £5000. I will post quotes in due course. Are others posting VAT inclusive costs?

Guest The Pom Queen
I have invited 3 companies to come and quote. John Mason, Pickfords, Bishops Move. Might try a 4th, trying to decide who. We expect to need a full 20ft container as we have a fair amount of furniture in our 3 bed house. Don't trust these online estimates the sites have. They all come out at less than £3000. Judging by threads on PIO I am expecting nearer £5000. I will post quotes in due course. Are others posting VAT inclusive costs?

We found that with the online calculators.

I haven't posted on here in years, although this caught my eye as location wise we were similar.

We we only shipped just under half a 20ft container from Oxfordshire (near Whitney) to a small town near Traralgon (about 45mins before Sale).

It it was back in May 2012 and cost £2k (not inc insurance). That was door to door inc packing in the UK. They did say that only using a part container is the more expensive way. But as we didn't want to bring everything it worked out great for us.

We used Robinsons. A family business from Oxfordshire and couldn't fault them at all. We got them down a little in price and did insurance through them which was 2%. Over this end they used Grace and couldn't fault them either. Nothing was damaged and only took 6wks door to door as they managed to get it on a ship straight away.

Just contacted Robinsons for a quote today - coming next Tuesday.

£2,000 seems a long way away from the £5,000 starting point offered by Crown and am hoping that they have a depot in Bristol and Abingdon will be in our favour.

PSS also coming next week before we make the choice.

Out of interest, what have people done with the removal of valuable items such as gold jewellery etc. Hand luggage would seem safest? I guess it would amount to £10,000 but that really is a guess.

Bear

Ours was for just under half the 20ft container. When you get the quotes do confirm it is in fact to Sale. We had about 7 quotes and I was amazed that after looking at them carefully they had actually put in Melbourne - despite being told our destination was nowhere near!

i had a few expensive items of jewellery as well as irreplaceable items. I took it all in my hand luggage. There was no way I was risking taking it any other way.