Can I take my whitegoods?

returntooz14

Hi All

My washer/dryer, fridge/freezer and dishwasher are all less than a year old so I think it makes sense to take this. As I understand it these can easily have the plugs changed and thus useable in Oz? Any tips for shipping these in terms of packing (inside move cube). And for the fridge/freezer? Does the fridge/freezer have gas in it and would this present an issue?

Thanks!

Hi, You can take them all no problem, it is only older fridges that contain CFC's etc that are a problem.

Quote 'As a general rule, relatively new fridges are able to be imported into Australia. If you are unsure if your fridge does not contain CFC, HFC or HCFC gases, you will need to check the model / serial number on the Australian Customs Website: http://www.customs.gov.au. Further information can also be found on the Australian Government Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities website http://www.environment.gov.au'

It is better to tighten the drum in the washer/dryer so it is locked into position but we actually forgot on the way back and the washer survived fine (my OH just spent 7 weeks fretting!), Fridge/Freezer should be packed upright and left for at least 24 hours at the other end before you switch it on.

If they are going to be less than 1 year old when you ship them you would officially have to pay import duty on them....you might decided they were bought a couple of months earlier if that is the case ;)

Agree with LR.

Only other thing I'd recommend from years of preparing people on the move, is to disconnect the appliances approx 36-48 hours prior to packing to ensure they are as dry as can be, thus helping to prevent Mould & Mildew developing during transit, and leave doors open for ventilation. Also if you can get the washing machine and fridge onto a slope or just tilted up for a while (you'll be amazed at how much water will flow out), and give a thorough wipe through paying particular attention to underneath the rubber seal inside the door of the washing machine.

Original travel bolts for the Drum in the washing are best used if you have them. Suggest re-wiring plugs as adapters are expensive and will be a safer option if done by a qualified electrician. You may also find your Fridge might not fit into the recess in the Kitchen if it's quite tall and ends up in the Garage, as mine did !

Brought my fridge n washer and gad no problems. As others have said make sure dry and secure the drum. I also covered the back of my fridge with bubble wrap to protect the elements or whatever those pipes are! I also stored stuff inside the fridge and washer as I too had a move cube so used every bit of available space!

• 2 months later...

Our appliances fridge/freezer and dishwasher were integrated so we bought new here. Most houses seem to have dishwashers anyway from what I have seen in my time here.

We did bring our washing machine so rented one for a month or so when we arrived until our container arrived.

It does get expensive to rent.

I wouldn't buy them especially to ship over as like Peach said you will be without for a while anyway.