Shipping Belongings excluding furniture.

BecWortho

I am looking for recommendations on a shipping company to transport my partner and my personal belongings. We are not taking any furniture with us it will mostly be clothes, cosmetics, some electronics eg. small compressor, a large canvas artwork, some books and keepsakes from our travels.

I had originally looked at movecube but I'm not sure we would even fill a small container. Also not everything that we are shipping could be put in cardboard boxes so I am not sure how that would go with some of the big shipping companies??

We are due to receive an answer on our VISA by the beginning of November and I want to ship most of our belongings to my parents in October so that they will hopefully be there when we arrive.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

If you are only shipping boxes, you will easily be able to shop around for quotes and almost certainly beat the move cube prices. You need to know how many boxes you will ship,and what sizes, as sea freight is based primarily on volume.

You may be surprised at how many boxes you ship though, we planned on 5 big boxes, and finished up with 11. We also sold all of our furniture and have started again, which has worked our great.

Edited by CaptainR

I think the post office will be too expensive from past experiences sending gifts home.

Is there anything you cant put in boxes? Ive had a look at sevenseas for a couple of large clothes boxes a couple of large boxes and a book box and its looking at just under £200 which is great, but how can I find out customs fees etc.

Just ship the boxes. Get proper cardboard teachest size and ship those. It is pretty reasonable. Seven Seas offer this option along with plenty of other companies. I know we shipped 4 extra boxes with them that did not fit our Movecube. No fuss, all arrived at the same time pretty much. I think a few days in it. Delivered to our door in Aus.

Contact Seven Seas direct to enquire about fees etc. They are really efficient and have all that info. It will vary from shipment to shipment as they are all differing sizes.