Hi everyone.

Guest TeresaP

Guest TeresaP

Hi, I am new to this forum but was wondering if anyone could help me with a query?

I was born in Brisbane but came to England when I was 4. I have a British passport.But I am eligable for an Australian one.

My question is...would i need to get my English born children 'Australian by decent' and then get them Australian passports if we wanted to move to Tasmania?

This has been a dream of mine for years. But 'life' has got in the way somewhat. I now have a bit of a 'fire in my belly' concerning this and would be grateful for any advice.

Regards Teresa

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Queenie

Hi Teresa

We've got a similar thing in that my husband and I have dual nationality with UK and Oz passports.

I've had the boys in the UK but have applied for (and got) citizenship for them. It's quite straightforward. I think you would need to apply for it first and then once you've got your citizenship certificate (if you don't already have one) apply for your children as a second phase as you will need to submit your original citizenship docs for them to get theirs.

The next step is the passport application which will need the citizenship docs. I haven't done that yet as you need to have an interview at Australia House in London. Apparently children don't need to attend the interview (phew - wouldn't get much sense out of 5 and 3 year old boys!) but it still means a trip to London - or maybe Edinburgh.

I'll probably do this towards the end of the year as we want to go down to Oz on holiday for a few weeks next Easter and it will be much easier if we can all go through the Ozzie national channel at immigration.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Queenie x

Archived