• Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast
    Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Do you love Tasmania ???

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep

Lightbulb Do you love Tasmania ???

As our lovely Tassie doesn't get a mention that often, I thought it would be good to have a thread where we can keep track of all things Tassie. So if you have Tassie on the brain, or are lucky enough to be there already this is the thread for you:

So, I guess I'll go first. Love Tassie, can't wait to get there. Got 475 visa, can't sell house. Live in Bristol now and want to live in either Howrah or Kingston area.

Your Turn......

CC
      x

The Cutches.... TASSIE-TASTIC!!!

Skills lodged with IEA 13.08.07 approved 31.08.07
      SIR 475 app lodged online 12.09.07
      PC's & Meds req'd automatically 12.09.07
      Meds sent 28.09.07 -
      CO assigned 10.10.07
      Meds approved 26.10.07

VISA'S GRANTED!!! 03.03.08

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi,

I think Tas looks fantastic from what I've seen so far. Such beautiful countryside but my OH has put me off it by saying that the weather is colder than the UK. Is this true? I really don't want to live in weather like the UK....that's one reason for looking over that side of the world!!

I looked at property prices and it really seems to be fantastic value for money. You can get land and a house really cheap. But...have been told that the wages are very low. Pros and Cons I suppose.

I'd love to hear from anyone living there who could put in a good word??? Sell it to me!!

Regards, Caroline.

Title
      Liked
      22 times
      Rep
      I think Tassie looks stunning and this is where we have decided to go to.
      OH spoke to recruitment agency and was pleasently surprized by what he could earn and the amount of work on offer.
      We looked into the weather a lot as OH was concerned about the "cold" but after reading other threads and websites think its not as bad as its made out to be. I like the idea of still having seasons.
      Not settled on a definate area yet but ideally would like to be no more than 30 mins from Hobart as thats where OH is likley to be based. Houses look good too.
      Watched a couple of Tassie holiday videos on YouTube and I can't wait to be there.

Just need to get the visa and sell the house now!!!!!!!!

Emma
      Emma (Childcare educator), Paul (carpenter), Louise (13) & Billy (10)
      In Tassie & loving it!:v_SPIN:

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      9 times
      Rep
      Blog Entries
      Hi
      I am hoping to go to Oz and haven't seen anyone mention Tasmania on here b4. I have a friend who is going to Taz next year (retiring). Hope to visit there as will be going to Melbourne.

Les

App 27 Jul 07
      Ack 19 Oct 07
      CO 03 Feb 08
      Meds 19 Mar 08
      PCs 21 Apr 08
      VISA GRANTED 7 MAY

Title
      Australia Bound
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep

Smile

Hi all,

Greetings all, this is my first post here in the forums. I wanted to chime in on this thread as my family and I plan on migrating to Tasmania early next year. We are going on the 475 visa; the skills assessment is done and we're just waiting to hear the decision on our State sponsorship application!

If anyone else is currently there in Tassie, we'd love to hear more about it! I'd like to learn more about the different suburbs of Hobart... right now we're looking at Glenorchy, Cygnet and New Town.

From what I've seen, Tasmania looks like a beautiful place and a perfect locale for raising our daughter (currently 10 months old).

Hope to hear from more Tassites! <-- coined a new word :v_SPIN:

Brian -

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi Cutches,
      cant wait to be in Tasmania. Applied November for a 475 visa, sure we cant be far off getting visa now? Got someone interested in our house so fingers crossed. Tasmania looks stunning and a great place for children to grow up, plenty to see and do, with lots of countryside. Cant think of nothing else morning noon and night. Dreaming of the day we land in Hobart.
      jane

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Cellefrouin View Post
      Hi,

I think Tas looks fantastic from what I've seen so far. Such beautiful countryside but my OH has put me off it by saying that the weather is colder than the UK. Is this true? I really don't want to live in weather like the UK....that's one reason for looking over that side of the world!!

I looked at property prices and it really seems to be fantastic value for money. You can get land and a house really cheap. But...have been told that the wages are very low. Pros and Cons I suppose.

I'd love to hear from anyone living there who could put in a good word??? Sell it to me!!

Regards, Caroline.
      Hi Caroline,

It is defo not colder than the UK, they have the seasons as we do but they are warmer.

Your right about the property prices, I'm addicted to realestate.com! Not sure how the wages compare generally but OH's job as an engineer fetches about the same salary as in the UK. What do you and your OH do for a living?

CC
      x
      The Cutches.... TASSIE-TASTIC!!!

Skills lodged with IEA 13.08.07 approved 31.08.07
      SIR 475 app lodged online 12.09.07
      PC's & Meds req'd automatically 12.09.07
      Meds sent 28.09.07 -
      CO assigned 10.10.07
      Meds approved 26.10.07

VISA'S GRANTED!!! 03.03.08

Title
      Platinum Member
      Derwent Valley; backside of Mt Wellington, in the Tasmanian Bush
      Liked
      68 times
      Rep

Cool Soon Be There

Quote Originally Posted by The Cutches View Post
      As our lovely Tassie doesn't get a mention that often, I thought it would be good to have a thread where we can keep track of all things Tassie. So if you have Tassie on the brain, or are lucky enough to be there already this is the thread for you:

So, I guess I'll go first. Love Tassie, can't wait to get there. Got 475 visa, can't sell house. Live in Bristol now and want to live in either Howrah or Kingston area.

Your Turn......

CC
      x
      Hi Cutches:
      Hope your house sells soon... Least we don't have that worry, or the equity/security that would be helpful for a new start! we're really from SW, too, but have 136 Visa....

Tassie is the place for us, at this time: lovely fresh air, quiet beaches, farms, great fresh food, delightful people, but we'll be lucky to earn much more than we are here... Sure, property is cheaper than UK, which can be advantageous if you have equity here, but for us it's not going to be easy (basically starting from scratch)... Average starter home around $300K/ 150K, but if you're only earning $50-$60K, we could only afford $200K mortgage... But at least we won't be on this sinking ship and will be living in a beautiful part of the world, and have fantastic friends there...

We are all booked for removers over 24/25th - it's going to be so weird to see our belongings going into that container - just hope it's the waterproof, well sealed, airtight variety!! We've got flights sorted too, Emirates then Tiger... Arriving Hobart May 31st! We liked the weather, it is changeable even more variety than here, but we loved that, too, there was snow on Mt Wellington when we flew in, at the end of February, but were paddling in the sea at Bridport a week later!! It's very bright, too, def need your shades... Anyway, we think we've made the right choice for us and are excitedly looking forward to starting our new life there, and wondering what Life holds for us now - a real Adventure... All the best to all future Tasmanians!

Herbster XxX

Title
      Liked
      7 times
      Rep
      Hi all.

I will be Tas in May to meet a potential employer and if all goes well hope to be out for good early 09. Tas does look fantastic and not too hot and humid, as my OH and I could not cope with that. We have two little uns, which is one of the main reasons we want to leave the UK and seek a safer enviroment for them. From what I have read and researched, Tas does seem a good option. Good luck to all of starting out on your adventure and maybe we can set up POMS IN TAZ one day!!!

Best wishes,

Cityboy, OH, James 3 1/2, Matty 18 months

Title
      Liked
      33 times
      Rep
      Hi there everyone,

So good to hear that you are all coming over to the special place called Tasmania. looking forward to meeting up with Herbster again very very soon!
      It is a beutiful place but its more than that . Something I cant really put my finger on . But Tassie has a warmth about it and what it looses in a few degrees in temperature it makes up in the feeling of the place and people. It is a safer place to live and certainly to bring up children it is a great place. We love it. Any worries get in touch.
      Good Luck
      Sally and Colin

•  
    Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast