Geographically detailed Hobart?

Indianinoz

Hello,

I'm trying to look for a geographically detailed presentation of Hobart on the internet. I'm getting maps, but that is it. Is there no documentary which does so? I know Hobart is divided into 5 parts, north, south, east, west and central but I cannot find details about it on the internet. Any help would be welcome!

Hello,

I'm trying to look for a geographically detailed presentation of Hobart on the internet. I'm getting maps, but that is it. Is there no documentary which does so? I know Hobart is divided into 5 parts, north, south, east, west and central but I cannot find details about it on the internet. Any help would be welcome!

I'm not sure what you mean by "geographically detailed". I am thinking all the geographical details one would need are on a map...but you are obviously thinking of something else.

I'm not sure what you mean by "geographically detailed". I am thinking all the geographical details one would need are on a map...but you are obviously thinking of something else.

Map of each of the 5 regions with a summary on each or something like that. For eg. which of these 5 areas has more of residence/commercial units/farming/forests/mountains etc. For eg. you may say that the western Hobart region is more residence based, the eastern Hobart region is more rural based of agricultural forest, the northern region has more commercial offices, the southern region is full of mountains and forests and the central region comprises of markets and shops. I'm just giving an example.

I just want to know more about the city before landing up there so that I know which area to focus more on.

I know Hobart is divided into 5 parts, north, south, east, west and central but I cannot find details about it on the internet. Any help would be welcome!

I just thought to add: there is no official subdivision of the city into 5 parts....if that is what you are looking for.

There are 3 distinct suburbs called North Hobart, West Hobart and South Hobart. Apart from that, people refer to "the northern suburbs", "the southern suburbs"....and "the eastern shore" and "the western shore"....but they are just common terms used locally....nothing official.

• Like 1

I just thought to add: there is no official subdivision of the city into 5 parts....if that is what you are looking for.

There are 3 distinct suburbs called North Hobart, West Hobart and South Hobart. Apart from that, people refer to "the northern suburbs", "the southern suburbs"....and "the eastern shore" and "the western shore"....but they are just common terms used locally....nothing official.

Oh ok. I don't care if there is an official division or not. Which part is more residence based, which part is more commercial based, which part has more farms/forests/mountains etc...

Hobart is the populated city around the lower reaches of the Derwent River. All parts of it have residential housing, offices, shops in varying proportions.

The central business district has a higher proportion of shops and offices - although there are some residential apartments there.

The industrial areas tend to be concentrated in the northern suburbs eg Glenorchy, Moonah.

Google Earth gives a good idea of what areas are like - especially if you use the Street View facility and just travel at street level through these areas.

None of it "contains" farming, forests or mountains, although some of the suburbs extend up the slopes of the mountains.

• Like 1

Map of each of the 5 regions with a summary on each or something like that. For eg. which of these 5 areas has more of residence/commercial units/farming/forests/mountains etc. For eg. you may say that the western Hobart region is more residence based, the eastern Hobart region is more rural based of agricultural forest, the northern region has more commercial offices, the southern region is full of mountains and forests and the central region comprises of markets and shops. I'm just giving an example.

I just want to know more about the city before landing up there so that I know which area to focus more on.

Hobart isn't big enough to be categorised like that!! The mountains are on the edge of the city, the CBD is down towards the harbour, the rest is a mix of residential/small business.

Its a very small city. In English terms its no more than a large town. Mountains and forests cover much of Tasmania but you won't find them within the Hobart city limits itself.

• 1 month later...

How big is Hobart? People whom I've spoken to say that Hobart is very small and in about say 20-30 minutes on a vehicle, I could potentially roam the entire city. On wikipedia though when I see the area is about 1600-1700 sq. km. Even if it is a circle I don't roaming to corners of a city with such an area is possible in such short time. Is it that the real Hobart is very small and the rest are just mountains/forest which are covered under the jursidiction of the city on paper? Or am I missing something?

It depends whether people are talking about Hobart city or the greater Hobart area. The total area you quoted above includes everything within the boundaries of the Greater Hobart area - from the southernmost to northernmost suburb and from the western boundary (which extends a fair way up the mountain) to the eastern boundary (which is again in the foothills of a mountain range). It would certainly take longer than 20 - 30 minutes to travel from the southern most suburb to the northernmost: probably more like an hour.

Edited by Skani

It depends whether people are talking about Hobart city or the greater Hobart area. The total area you quoted above includes everything within the city boundaries of the Greater Hobart area - from the southernmost to northernmost suburb and from the western boundary (which extends a fair way up the mountain) to the eastern boundary (which is again in the foothills of a mountain range). It would certainly take longer than 20 - 30 minutes to travel from the southern most suburb to the northernmost: probably more like an hour.

So am I correct that the real city where population is concentrated and commercial and retail units set up is actually very small(say 100-200 sq. km) and the rest is more of forests and mountains etc.?

Are you able to do a reccie visit as a tourist first? I'm sure that way you'd get a better idea about how Hobart is actually made up.

I tried to do that in May this year but due to hectic work schedule and finance crunch we could not do it. But thanks to you guys especially Skani who has given me a great idea of how Hobart is before we came up there. We might get the visa by mid October and hope to land in late November/early December. Would be great to meet up with you guys over there!