tasmania

Guest talisman

Guest talisman

:arghh:Trying to find out what the work prospects are for painting and decorating in Tas. My partner is a trade lecturer in yorkshire UK but is willing to go back on the tools.Any advice Jane

Guest talisman

Hi Keily, thanks for the advice, been on seek.com can find decorating work all over but not much in Tas. Sent off TRA seems like we have been waiting for it coming back for ages. Are you going to Tas? How far along are you with your Visa are you? Jane

Guest talisman

Hi Keily,

Perth seems to be a very nice place. I know of two friends that are going to Perth at xmas. Been told there is lots of work for decorators there. Still cant decide Perth or Tas. Tas house prices seem cheaper. Did you see the tv programme on Perth? All the best Jane

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Im going back home to Tassie (I was born in Hobart) after 23 yrs in the UK, only this time im taking back my hubby and 3 kids! (aged 11,8,18mnths and all boys!), We are hoping to be out there by Feb 08 if all goes according to plan but we all no that doesnt usually happen! hahahahaha

I am lucky in the sence that i have a huge family in Tassie waiting for us to arrive and to help us as much as possible! We are moving to Forcett for a bit ( coz thats where my Aunt lives and we are staying with her!) but at the moment we have no idea as to where we want to live in Tassie but it must be somewhere near my family. We are hoping to lodge my Hubby's spouse Visa in the next 2 weeks or so, so keep fingers crossed that we get it quick.

Any way thanks for taking the time read this!!!! :)

Summer

Guest n-jayne-30

Hi , im a hairdresser and my client has just come back from there. He was thinking of moving there with his ozy girlfriend (but not now) :nah:He said their was not alot of work and it was very agricultural and it went really cold. The weather is just like ours.

Good luck with everything xxxxxxxxxxx nicky

Guest Colin R

Hi there not sure where they stayes iin Tassie sure we get cold weather but we had 3 frosts this year it is currently 23 degrees. and we have a drought in the Midlands. I havent worn a coat all year .Not sure what part of the UK is the same as Tassie as I sure didnt live in that part!! It is bright most days its not grey as in the UK. As for work this weekend in the Mercury there was 8 pages of jobs ( cant recall any for farming) Hobart is booming, But then I love the place so I am a little biased

Guest talisman

Hi sounds a great place, do you know any painting and decorating contacts? My O/H is looking for work. We hope to arrive after xmas. Hard to find work there from the UK.

Thanks Jane

Hi sounds a great place, do you know any painting and decorating contacts? My O/H is looking for work. We hope to arrive after xmas. Hard to find work there from the UK.

Thanks Jane

Hi Jane

We are hoping to go to Tas next year, so I have been busy reading other peoples posts about it. I remember on one of the forums I go that someone was saying that Bridgewater is an up and coming place with lots of new houses going up, so decorators may be needed in that area. It may have been on British Expats website, there are quite a few people posting on there who are in or going to Tas.

Good luck anyway.

Carina :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest pirate willy

hello can you help me im a bricklayer, thinking of moving to tasmania is there a call for bricklayers and how much work is there? i went to the oz expo in london yesterday and really liked the look of tasmania! any one help please thanks

Guest Colin R

Hi there pirate willy, There is plenty of work over here for all trades ,as like most of Australia we have a skills shortage. There are numerous houses being built and some large commercial developments. It would help you to get in touch with Joanna who has posted a reply just above yours She works for the state goverment and they are very helpful If you need to know anything about TAssie then feel free to contact me I might not know the answer but hopefully I can find it out. There is also a web site T-change - for your sea change or tree change to Tasmania it is a very good site and give you loads of information about the place.

• 9 months later...
Guest mickncat

Hi,

We are looking to move to Tassie but not sure if there is going to be any employment for me when i get there.

I'm a fitter (engineering-machine building).

Also, we have two kids (14,12) and so want to live that is not too liveley (for us) but enough to do for the kids.

Any help gratefully received.:wacko:

Perth house prices have gone throught the roof...whereas my house for example if on the water at Tranmere Hobart overlooking the mountain and close to everything is on the market at 700k so I would opt for Hobart...has your husband considered working at TAFE lecturing?

• 1 month later...
Guest bailes64

Hi you could try the ship yard at margate they take on fitters and it might help get you going, you are probably better here than a few other places at the moment, also you could try Ziniflex in Hobart, they are often looking for Fitters,

you will get work i am sure, a lot of people don`t advertise so you are best to phone them when you arrive and someone will i am sure give you a start,

kingston, blackmans bay, margate, snug all nice places for you and the kids

good luck

mark and linds

Hi,

We are looking to move to Tassie but not sure if there is going to be any employment for me when i get there.

I'm a fitter (engineering-machine building).

Also, we have two kids (14,12) and so want to live that is not too liveley (for us) but enough to do for the kids.

Any help gratefully received.:wacko:

• 2 months later...
Guest claireandmark

There is plenty of work for good tradesman here at the moment, and the big plus is tassies like to take their "sweet arse time" so theres no rushing!!

As for the weather it does get cool at night and we do have off days, however the ozone layer is thinner above us so 23 degrees in the summer feels like 30. Plenty of people come down from the mainland and use the same or no sun screen they use at home thinking they wont get burnt, and they usually get burnt to a cinder! Oh and people here dont have two heads!......they have Three !

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest30038

I'd live there if it wasn't for the wife's work. Less rush and beautiful scenery. Take a look here if you are thinking of it THROUGH MY EYES

I love Queensland, but I've yet to find somewhere to rival the beauty of Tasmania.

kev

Archived