Wwoofing or Farm related accommodation in Hobart

Indianinoz

My and wife plan to come to Hobart for about 10-15 days. We're planning to migrate in the future and hence we want to make a preliminary trip. We are both interested in farming hence we want to come as wwoofers/bagpackers/farm workers. We are ready to work for 4 hours on the farm provided our meals and accommodation are covered. The rest of the day we can spend on roaming around Hobart. Is there any such farm?

.Usually the "host"will dictate how many hours you work.I think from memory its usually up to 6 hrs a day.The hosts will usually also decide how many days you work straight with then time off,although I am guessing there could be some flexibility with this.You would have to join the Woofers registration to contact hosts,and maybe go from there with any questions.Help X is another similar website you can use.You also have to pay a fee to contact hosts.Tbh if you're only coming over for 10[15 days,you;d be far better off paying for your own accomo surely?Otherwise you will spend most of your holiday working??I would probably do 2-3 days woofing,and the rest sightseeing/researching.Most hosts on either site though prefer abit longer stays to get the max help they need.

We are both interested in farming hence we want to come as wwoofers/bagpackers/farm workers. We are ready to work for 4 hours on the farm provided our meals and accommodation are covered. The rest of the day we can spend on roaming around Hobart. Is there any such farm?

You would need to register with the WWOOF organisation to find out if there are any farms near Hobart looking for help.

However, as Jacaranda has said, the farm determines how many hours of work are needed.

And there is likely to be a reasonable travel time to and from Hobart for such a farm.

Backpackers and other temporary farm workers are required when there is a high volume of work required to be done by a particular deadline, for example apple or grape picking. In these cases long hours of work are required, and so not suitable for someone wanting to take half the day off.

I think you mentioned in another post that you plan to arrive on April 25th. That is a public holiday here (Anzac Day) so many shops will be closed all day, others open only from 12 noon. It won't be a problem for you....but you may wonder why the town centres are so quiet.

Edited by Skani

You would need to register with the WWOOF organisation to find out if there are any farms near Hobart looking for help.

However, as Jacaranda has said, the farm determines how many hours of work are needed.

And there is likely to be a reasonable travel time to and from Hobart for such a farm.

Backpackers and other temporary farm workers are required when there is a high volume of work required to be done by a particular deadline, for example apple or grape picking. In these cases long hours of work are required, and so not suitable for someone wanting to take half the day off.

I think you mentioned in another post that you plan to arrive on April 25th. That is a public holiday here (Anzac Day) so many shops will be closed all day, others open only from 12 noon. It won't be a problem for you....but you may wonder why the town centres are so quiet.

Dear Skani,

Thanks! We haven't booked tickets yet. We have postponed it to June. So Australia is most likely going to be from 10th June to 30th June out of which Hobart maybe something like 14th June to 26th June. Yes WWOOFing is not recommended for us. We'd much rather stay in a cheap hostel. I checked some hostels and the cheapest I could find is something like $35 per room of 2 people. Obviously, we can cut it down further if we don't want a room for us and live in a dormitory but that would be too inconvenient.

If you're coming on Visitor visas, you are not allowed to do work, even if unpaid, if that work would otherwise be done in return for wages by an Australian resident. WWOOFing can sometimes be OK if that work is never done by paid employees but most other farm work would (or should) be performed by paid workers and would therefore be a breach of your visa conditions.

• 2 months later...

We plan to migrate to Hobart by November-December this year on the permanent residency visa. Now, when we reach Hobart, ideally I'd like to see the countryside of Tasmania just outside of Hobart i.e. outskirts of Hobart. I and my wife would like to WWOOF(i.e. work for about 5 hours a day for 5 days a week) for around a month on a farm that is very close to Hobart. During this time we plan to keep ourselves active but also look for jobs in the city.

Can anyone of you recommend a farm? Ideally I'd like to have the experience of all dairy, agriculture(fruits/veggies/cereals/pulses/oilseeds) and poultry(meat) on the farm. Also, the more closer to forest, the better(wilderness is our preference). If there are grapes on the farm which suit wine making, that would be awesome!

Is there an official WWOOF Tasmania or WWOOF Australia website?

Note: Due to personal reasons, I'd like the farm not to have any Solar Panels at all.

P.S. We had decided to visit Tasmania for about a fortnight in June/July before migrating but that was not possible due to work and budget constraints. So we have gone ahead and lodged our visa request.

• 4 weeks later...