Moving to Tasmania

Guest julliet

Guest julliet

Hi my name is julliet and me and my husband along with or two children, ages 5 and 19, are thinking of moving from Cheshire in England to Tasmania. My husband has been offerred a job in BMS and energy efficiency sales out their. I am a college lecturer and we know nothing about Tas.

Could anybody let us know what we are getting into, we have seen pics on the internet and it looks beautiful, but is it good to live their, what are the schools, shops and social life like. Is business their good, and how hard would it be for me to find a job in lecturing (I teach history, geog, sociology and classical civilisations).

Thanks in advance,

Julliet

:)

Guest julliet
Hi I dont know much about the schools etc but I did watch a documentary last night which said Tasmania is full of poisonous ants and they can kill you apparantly it is a bit of a problem over there and you can be bitten by them when you are pegging out the washing?

I dont know if it is any thing to worry about - it cant be that big a deal otherwise no one would live there?

Hi Chellem

I didnt know about the ants prob! sounds horrific. Are you going to Oz or are you just looking at the mo?

What programme was the documentary on, it may be repeated. Thanks for giving me some info, keep in touch

Julliet :)

Guest julliet
Hi I dont know much about the schools etc but I did watch a documentary last night which said Tasmania is full of poisonous ants and they can kill you apparantly it is a bit of a problem over there and you can be bitten by them when you are pegging out the washing?

I dont know if it is any thing to worry about - it cant be that big a deal otherwise no one would live there?

Hi Chellem,

my husband has just pointed out to me that you may be living in Manchester in Australia, I apologise for assuming it was Manchester England, :?: which is very close to where we live. I hope you will let me know if any other info comes your way about Tas, we are really looking forward to emigrating so I hope you find good things, other than their ant prob!!!

cheers for now

Julliet :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Jaibee

Juliet, the ants you are talking about are known as Jumping Jacks. They are extremely aggressive with a very nasty bite which can be fatal (in the same way bee stings are) for some people. However, they are mainly found in bush/forested areas. If you are planning to live in town you probably won't come across them in your garden. Something to watch out for in the country though.

Guest Seabee

Hi Julliet,

I wouln't be concerned about ant stories I have lived in a rural area in Tasmania for 40years and never been bitten by a Jack Jumper(sometimes referred toas inch men). You will also hear exagerated stories about Tasmanian devils and snakes but both these creatures aviod humans and most of us see them only in captivity.

Believe me Tasmania is a good place to live and to raise a family in. There is not the extremes of climate experienced in other parts of Oz. The population is just under half a million with most people living in the Northern half of the state. when you consider Tasmania is approximately the size of Eire or Scotland you can see we have plenty of room to move around in.

Guest Jaibee

Actually without wanting to start an argument Jack Jumpers and inch men are two diferent ants. Inch men are, as you would expect, about an inch in length - they are no where near as agressive as Jack Jumpers - they are about 3/4 inch long. Jack Jumpers have a typically jumpy movement. I lived in a bush property for a couple of years and was stung several times as was my husband. His reaction was worse than mine and he had to take anti-hystermine tablets to get rid of reaction. If you are stung then a quick dab of stingose will help with the immediate pain.

On the subject of snakes it is good to know that they are all poisonous that means that unlike in the UK there should be no question about what to do - ie stay still and let them leave. There is antidote for all of them but if you are like me you will never see more than a departing tail.

• 3 months later...
Guest brasilcon

wait a minute! are you telling us that i can face a snake, a big ant etc in tasmania?

Only if i live around the bushes, right? A couple of garden trees i should be safe?

Guest Taz01

I grew up in Tasmania and lived there until I was 18 and have only ever been bitten once by a Jack Jumper- and only because I trod on its nest. I have never been bitten by a bull ant (or inchman). Its true that they both produce a nasty sting and some people do have allergic reactions to them, however it is very rare that people die from it. Jack jumper nests are very easy to spot as they usually look like a pile of small pebbles. If you destroy the nest they usually go away. Jaibee is right; in regards to snakes etc, you just stay still and they go away as well. There seems to be a tendency to overexagerate the threat of the creepy - crawly scary stuff. It really isn't that big an issue.

• 11 months later...
Hi my name is julliet and me and my husband along with or two children, ages 5 and 19, are thinking of moving from Cheshire in England to Tasmania. My husband has been offerred a job in BMS and energy efficiency sales out their. I am a college lecturer and we know nothing about Tas....Could anybody let us know what we are getting into, we have seen pics on the internet and it looks beautiful, but is it good to live their, what are the schools, shops and social life like. Is business their good, and how hard would it be for me to find a job in lecturing (I teach history, geog, sociology and classical civilisations)...Thanks in advance,..Julliet

:)

Hi Julliet:

Welcome to Poms In Oz! I've been a bit busy... with one thing & another so missed your post, but welcome; we are a generally friendly lot, if some of us tending to be somewhat opinionated!!! :chatterbox:But that's probably the point!??!

I've recently arrived from NE England with my better half, (north of Hadrian's Wall) and think you might be interested in a long running post called Do You Love Tasmania? Which I'm sure you and your family will find quite informative, as well as fun!

We are currently staying in the southern town of Kingston, with friends, while our ship gets in - which we understand will be tomorrow morning - 20th June - which is also our shortest day! Our car should be ready to collect on Monday, so we are finding our feet. Hopefully, in the next few days I shall put together what I have learnt during this massive moving experience! Tas is basically pretty rural & quite quiet, but for raising kids, I'd have thought smashing, there are stunning beaches & so many places to go where you might be the only visitors, foods great & you can grow almost anything, so fresh & delicious as you like... Depends what your idea of heaven is...

But check out the above thread & see you there! :jiggy:

Cheers,

Hi Julliet:

I've recently arrived from NE England with my better half, (north of Hadrian's Wall) and think you might be interested in a long running post called Do You Love Tasmania? Which I'm sure you and your family will find quite informative, as well as fun!

Hi Julliet

Its not a fun site and it seems to be all oneway traffic!!!

Ive down loaded some info that might help you

Tasmania - Lifestyle

Tasmania has much to offer prospective residents – spectacular scenery, unique flora and fauna, easy access to a range of natural attractions, a refreshing climate and a rich heritage.

Tasmania has a strong sporting tradition, with easy access to a wide range of quality sporting facilities that include international standard aquatic and team sport facilities. The rugged central highlands and south west of the state provide the setting that has made Tasmania a world-renowned bushwalking and trout fishing destination. Tasmania provides the inspiration for a creative and dynamic arts culture, extending from live theatre and music to movies, commercial galleries and museums.

Combine all this with Australia’s lowest crime rates, extremely affordable housing and easy access to a wide range of excellent schools and colleges and Tasmania is a very attractive state to raise children in.

Particular advantages of living in Tasmania include:

Climate

Tasmania has a mostly temperate maritime climate. A prevailing westerly airstream leads to a marked variation of cloudiness, rainfall and temperature. Consequently, the west coast and highlands are generally cool, wet and cloudy, while the east coast and lowlands are milder, drier and sunnier. Summers are mild, with any hot periods rarely lasting more than a few days. Rainfall is generally lower (in both amount and frequency) in summer, most notably in the west and north west. Afternoon sea breezes are common along the coasts.

Winters are not excessively cold, especially compared to places at similar latitudes in the northern hemisphere that do not have the sea’s moderating influence. Westerly winds with embedded cold fronts often cross the state, and these can bring ‘cold outbreaks’ and snow to low levels. Every so often, winds will be light, the skies clear and the mornings cold and frosty.

Tasmania’s average temperature range is 12oC (52oF) winter to 21oC (70oF) summer.

Tasmania’s capital city, Hobart, is the second driest capital city after Adelaide, with an average rainfall of 626mm (24 inches), and during summer experiences the most daylight hours of any capital city in Australia.

Tasmania’s latitude provides four distinct seasons, which make the state a gardener’s paradise.

Snowfalls are common on the higher peaks in the winter months of July to September and support a small commercial ski-field at Ben Lomond in the state’s north east.

pic_lifestyle2.jpgAir quality

Tasmania has the freshest air in the world – a claim supported by the Cape Grim air monitoring station at Woolnorth in Tasmania’s far north west. Data from the National Environment Protection Council Jurisdictional Monitoring Reports show that Hobart has the lowest levels of carbon monoxide and suspended particulates of all state capital cities in Australia.

Water

Tasmania possesses an abundance of clean, reliable water vital for agriculture, recreation, drinking, electricity production, industry and the environment. Water continues to play a central role in the state's Economic Development and Tourism, particularly given the importance of primary industries. Tasmania's future water developments and opportunities focus on sustainable resource management.

Travel

Time spent on travel in Tasmania is generally less than in other states of Australia due to the small size of the principal cities, good road networks and the close proximity to workplaces, services and facilities, such as beaches, shopping centres, restaurants and national parks. Almost 60 per cent of the population travel to and from work or school in less than 18 minutes, regardless of their mode of transport.

Crime rates

Crimes rates in Tasmania are the lowest in Australia.

Affordable housing

Despite the strong Tasmanian economy, Tasmanian house prices are generally lower, both in absolute terms and as a proportion of median incomes, than most mainland capital cities, particularly Sydney and Melbourne.

Sports

Tasmanians have easy access to a wide range of quality sporting facilities and a vibrant network of sporting clubs and associations that offer diverse opportunities for participation.

Per capita, Tasmania has produced an astounding number of world-class sportspeople in many disciplines – testament to the quality of opportunities on offer and the community support for sport. Tasmania has international standard facilities for swimming, hockey, cricket, motor racing, tennis and athletics. Golf is popular with many business people and is often used to develop business contacts.

Statistics from the Australian Golf Union show that Tasmania has the highest number of golf courses per 100,000 people in Australia, with quality courses dotted around the state, including Barnbougle Dunes, ranked in the top 50 golf courses in the world, the top ten links courses in the world and the number one ranked public golf course in Australia!

National parks

Tasmania has the highest percentage of national parks to total land area in Australia. In fact, almost half of the state is set aside in reserves that include the world famous Cradle Mountain National Park and Wild Rivers National Park, both of which are listed as World Heritage Areas. World-class opportunities for bushwalking, white water kayaking and rock climbing abound.

Access to the coast

Tasmanians have unsurpassed access to inland waterways, coastline and estuaries. Compared with the rest of Australia, Tasmania has the highest percentage of its population living within 50 kilometres of the coast. Little wonder fishing is so popular and that sailing and surf clubs thrive.

Hope this info helps you out

All the best and good luck

Geoffrey

Archived