A week in Tasmania

Rupert

We are thinking of a short trip to Tasmania, just about a week as that is all we have spare and probably in the summer, e.g. February.

Am hoping to get some suggestions for anitinerary. We would like to do some driving about but not spend hours driving every single day, so I think we probably base ourseles around Hobart or around Launceston, but I have no idea which of the two.

We are a couple with no kids, we enjoy walking, history, fine dining and happy to splash out for something a bit special from time to time.

I would suggest Hobart initially. Either stay somewhere around the docks or Battery Point/Salamanca Place or Sandy Bay - which are all within walking distance of the CBD and the most historic parts of Hobart or, for "something special" (depending on your budget) stay at the accommodation chalets at MONA (Museum of Old and New Art), which is situated in a vineyard by the riverside and also has a brewery and resturant on site. (MONA has its own ferry to and from the city).

Around Hobart - Salamanca Market on Saturday morning, the Tasmanian Botanical Gardens, the Tasmanian Museum which has a special focus on Antarctica, the Australian Wooden Boat Festival at the docks (one block away from the CBD) from 8th - 11th February, Louisa's Walk, which is a dramatised history of female convicts in Hobart,

Then use the car for trips further afield....Mt. Wellington, behind Hobart, Mt. Nelson (a suburb which has a cafe with great views at the top), down the Channel area to the Huon Valley, Bruny Island (great sealife watching boat tour), down to the Tasman Peninsular to visit the Port Arthur convict settlement. Also great coastal scenery there and boat tours around the peninsular, Richmond (one of the earliest Tasmanian villages about 20 minutes from Hobart) set in the Coal River Valley with lots of vineyards and cellar door tastings and sales. A little further on Bonorong Park, an animal park with the species which are endemic to Tasmania. If you have more time you can then choose to venture north along the east coast or head west towards the wilderness and Strahan and Queenstown.

I think you would really need another week for the north of the state.

I would recommend you have a look at these sites which have plenty of suggestions including, on the second one, some suggested itineraries.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g255097-Hobart_Tasmania-Vacations.html

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/

• 2 months later...
Boat Harbour is my favourite place in Tasmania, not a lot there but just peace and amazing beauty

St Helens is nice too and Coles Bay

I know what you mean about Boat Harbour - we used to live on acreage just inland from there.

I ran out of puff in my itinerary for Rupert, but both the east and north west coasts warrant their own separate travel plans.

Love the itinerary from Skani. We are landing in Tasmania on 17th November for 10 days and looking forward to seeing Tassie, will definitely look at the two links given. Anne

That was just a starter. :biggrin: The two links will give you plenty of material to look at. Enjoy your trip!

I would suggest Hobart initially. Either stay somewhere around the docks or Battery Point/Salamanca Place or Sandy Bay - which are all within walking distance of the CBD and the most historic parts of Hobart or, for "something special" (depending on your budget) stay at the accommodation chalets at MONA (Museum of Old and New Art), which is situated in a vineyard by the riverside and also has a brewery and resturant on site. (MONA has its own ferry to and from the city).

Around Hobart - Salamanca Market on Saturday morning, the Tasmanian Botanical Gardens, the Tasmanian Museum which has a special focus on Antarctica, the Australian Wooden Boat Festival at the docks (one block away from the CBD) from 8th - 11th February, Louisa's Walk, which is a dramatised history of female convicts in Hobart,

Then use the car for trips further afield....Mt. Wellington, behind Hobart, Mt. Nelson (a suburb which has a cafe with great views at the top), down the Channel area to the Huon Valley, Bruny Island (great sealife watching boat tour), down to the Tasman Peninsular to visit the Port Arthur convict settlement. Also great coastal scenery there and boat tours around the peninsular, Richmond (one of the earliest Tasmanian villages about 20 minutes from Hobart) set in the Coal River Valley with lots of vineyards and cellar door tastings and sales. A little further on Bonorong Park, an animal park with the species which are endemic to Tasmania. If you have more time you can then choose to venture north along the east coast or head west towards the wilderness and Strahan and Queenstown.

I think you would really need another week for the north of the state.

I would recommend you have a look at these sites which have plenty of suggestions including, on the second one, some suggested itineraries.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g255097-Hobart_Tasmania-Vacations.html

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/

In addition to the above I would suggest you can't visit Tasmania without going to Cradle Mt, Freycinet Peninsula (Wineglass Bay) and also Bay of Fires. These places offer spectacular scenery and quite a few hikes with different levels of fitness levels required, but check weather for Cradle Mt as you can get blizzards in summer! I was born in Tasmania so am very partial to the Tassie landscape. Other places to see are Launceston (pronounced Lon-ses-ton :) not as in the Cornish Launceston) and the Tamar valley, The Nut at Stanley on the North West coast, the Walls of Jerusalem, The Great Lakes and the central plateau and Ross in tasmania's midlands which is a lovely 19th century village with some orignial building built by the convicts and the centre of the fine wool industry in Tasmania.

One week will give you enough time to see a lot of Tassie (but not everything). If you fly into Launceston, hire a car you can then do a round trip ending back in Launceston to fly out a week later.

A suggested itinery for one week would be

-Day 1 Fly to Launceston, visit Launceston and Tamar Valley- stay in Launceston

-Day 2 Drive to Cradle Mt - 1/2 day walk - stay at Cradle Mt chalet

-Day 3 drive to west coast, tour Franklin-Gordon river wild rivers cruise - stay in Strahan,

-Day 4, drive to Hobart, tour Hobart and surrounds (Mt Wellington etc) - stay in Hobart

-Day 5 tour Hobart and drive to Port Arthur, visit penal settlement and drive to Coles Bay - Stay at Coles Bay

-Day 6 Freycinet Peninsula, 1/2 day walk to Wineglass Bay, Drive to St Helens -stay in St Helens

-Day 7 Drive up to Bay of Fires and return to Launceston for flight out

Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

• 1 month later...

I can second all if the above . For walks and stunning beaches the east coast is unbeatable! I also love The Nut, Boat Harbour and Strahan- Gordon river cruise was fab! Port Arthur definitely worth a day trip. Cradle mtn/ Dove lake are lovely .The pub in the paddock ( with the pig that drinks watered down beer from a bottle!) and Pyengana cheese place ( beautiful food!) Lots of waterfalls like Liffey Falls. The pancakes at Elephant pass - delicious! Vineyards at Pipers Brook etc. So much to see ( and eat/drink! )

Edited by Bound4Tassie

If you want to see something very different;

google The Wall Derwent Bridge. It's amazing, it's a work in progress by a master sculptor Greg Duncan depicting loosely the history of logging and mining in Tasmania on laminated pieces of Huon pine 3 metres high and 1 metre wide. In the reception area there is a coat hanging up that you would think was a leather coat until you get close and see it's sculpted in wood. It blew us away.

2nd the Strahan Gordon River cruise, and we went to Hobart from Strahan via Derwent Bridge.

Also in case it hasn't been mentioned the Mona Museum Hobart, it's very very different!!!

Whatever you do have a great time, I can forward you via a PM where we stayed if it would help.