Swimming in the sea

Guest matthemason

Guest matthemason

Ok so is there anything I need to know before i go swimming in the sea off tas, apart from the air and water temperatur after all I am a Pom.

I don't think so too much. have you swam in the sea before?

If not then be aware of rips. Or rip tides. These are currents that can pull you away from the shore. If you find yourself in one, then don't panic. Don't try and swim against it. Swim parallel to the beach until you are out of the rip. If you are swimming at a patrolled beach, then always swim between the red and yellow flags.

This isn't Tasmania specific, good practice wherever you are.

Apart from anything, enjoy it!

Have fun. X

If you're not familiar with rip currents, go to a patrolled beach and talk to the lifeguards. They'll be able to talk to you about the currents etc at the beach that day, point out the rips and show you why they put the flags where they did. Once you know what you're looking for, rips are generally pretty easy to spot, so if you do ever go to an unpatrolled beach, you'll have some idea of what dangers to look for.

Guest matthemason

I was thinking of stingers and blue bottles and which breed of shake you get. Yeah being a boy scout skani but we do have our tickets now we set off on June 16th.

Mat

Stingers not an issue until you're *much* further north, AFAIK. Bluebottles I think you can get anywhere. I hate jellyfish. Not bothered by sharks for some reason, weird

I've never been to FNQ but I'm not sure I could hack seeing gorgeous beaches and warm azure seas you can't take a dip in because of some fecking invisble rubbery bits of doom. I can't look at the sea without wanting to jump in it, that would do my head in I think

Stingers and bluebottles not usually a problem, although a couple of bluebottles were found by some shocked locals on the northwest coast a couple of summers ago. The water has been too cold for them to venture this far south but the eastern current running down the coast of Australia is warming and it's possible they could become a problem in future.

Yeah, I swam in Tasmania a fair bit and never saw any Jellyfish.

I was stung by a bluebottle in Queensland. Sure it hurt like a beast for a bit, but wasn't as bad as I thought, although I wouldn't want to do it again!

Re the North. I used a stinger suit on the GBR I don't think there is too much to worry about if you take the right precautions and Tassie is pretty easy to swim in.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We went in loads when we were there and we loved it, the surf was incredible, but the currents were strong, our kids loved riding the surf on their boogie boards the most out of everything, Awesome.

Edited by The Ropey HOFF

Guest matthemason

Can't wait only one problem I'm coming over in late June not sure I fancy a dip in winter but if the sun is shining I may get my feet wet.

I didn't know about swimming near seals good tip that thanks

Can't wait only one problem I'm coming over in late June not sure I fancy a dip in winter but if the sun is shining I may get my feet wet.

My avatar on the left is a pic of my eldest son swimming in the sea in July last year when we first got here. He would definatley recommend a steamer/drysuit or at the least a wetsuit to go swimming in at that time of year.

It was quite funny though, with the locals looking at him as though he was mad as it was that cold, lol

Good luck with the move. BTW where are you looking at settling?

Chris x

My avatar on the left is a pic of my eldest son swimming in the sea in July last year when we first got here. He would definatley recommend a steamer/drysuit or at the least a wetsuit to go swimming in at that time of year.

It was quite funny though, with the locals looking at him as though he was mad as it was that cold, lol

Good luck with the move. BTW where are you looking at settling?

Chris x

Is that a shark fin popping out of the water next to your son?:elvis:

We have great Aquatic Centres in Hobart and Launceston - covered and heated - for winter swimming.:biggrin:

There was a very tragic case of people swimming with a seal colony near the Tamar River in the north about 15 years ago. A young mother was taken by a shark - leaving behind a husband, a pre-school child and quadruplets, aged about 12 months.:cry:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hundreds of thousands of Aussies go in the sea everyday with no mishaps at all, thankfully deaths from shark attacks are miniscule, like someone said you have more chance of winning the lottery.

Guest matthemason
Regardless of all the jellyfish comments... you'd rather find a bluebottle or some stingers, heck even sharks, than irukandji!

Irukandji! I have not got a clue, please tell me there are they hoop snakes of the sea.