Electrician looking for work in hobart

Chapz74

I was hoping that someone with specific knowledge about the job market for electricians would reply - but obviously not. :no:

Have a look at this thread and the post by "runslikeafish" on 5/2/2012 and it will give you some suggestions for jobseeking.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/tasmania/137276-whats-tasmania-really-like-3.html

There is some information about licencing from Workplace Standards Tasmania at the website below. They should be able to give you more information relating to your particular situation.

http://www.wst.tas.gov.au/industries/licensing/ola_electrical/electrician

• 7 months later...

Nothing more than those above, I'm afraid to say. The building industry is quiet at the moment and I can't think of any electricians on this forum who may be able to give you information. The only migrants I've known to secure employment before they land here have been in the medical professions.

Skani is correct, when she says its very quiet here, in the building trade

I have a horrible feeling you may struggle ,to find employment,as an Electrician

So many qualified sparks, coming on to sites at present, asking for labouring work, and lots leaving for the mainland in search of work.

To find out more about licensing,theres a very long thread on jobs and careers,about licensing regs,which should give you some pointers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there we emigrated in march 2012 to Melbourne I found work within two days but I tried to secure something before we left and found it very difficult to even get a response. I'm currently doing the lea course which is a refresher course to do before you sit there theory exam and then the practical you then need twelve months experience before you can get the a licence but it's very different in each state so I would advise looking into it now so you can prepare as a couple of people I know moved to western australia and got there a licence straight away I know it's stressful but it's all a gamble the one thing I have learnt is to talk to everyone as its not what you know it who you know even more so over here

I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions I'll reply to the best of my knowledge

Thanks mark