Letting

runslikeafish

We've just secured a rental property and will be moving in this weekend. :jiggy:

One thing that I thought worth mentioning though was the bond. We need to pay the bond up front as well as 2 weeks' rent. This is a 4 figure sum of money. So I assumed that I could pay this by card - no I can't. So how can I pay then, cash? Nope, they don't accept cash. Cheque? Nope, people aren't given chequebooks as a matter of course here.

We have to pay by "bank cheque" which means I have to go into my bank and ask them to write a cheque for me and pay them $8 for doing so.

Many moons ago I used to work for a bank in the UK and I had to learn about "legal tender". That is for certain amounts someone is legally obliged to accept particular denominations of cash as payment of a debt. That meant that you weren't legally obliged to accept £100 in 1p pieces but you are legally obliged to accept £100 in £5 notes for example. Does anyone know if that concept exists in Aus? Not that I'm going to cause a fuss, I'm just curious about them not accepting cash as in the UK they would be legally obliged to. Unless the law has changed since I worked in a bank that is!

Anyway, it doesn't matter - we're moving in this weekend! :biggrin: Barbeque at the Runslikeafish house!

Having been out of the rental market for 22 years I am no expert in this area and I was surprised by your experience. I assume you were dealing with a rental agent? Most businesses offer direct transfer option from your account to theirs so I was surprised that this wasn't included.

My understanding of the legal tender situation here is that someone can specify the form of payment providing it is specified before the contract for sale or service is entered into. But I haven't tested it in court.:biggrin:

This link might be useful

http://www.consumer.tas.gov.au/renting

Looks like good BBQ weather for the weekend - so enjoy!

Thanks for that. The legal tender thing was just my mind going off on a tangent as it often does!

Think you will find that the Reserve Bank notes that although Australian currency has legal tender status, it does not necessarily have to be used in transactions and that refusal to accept payment in legal tender banknotes and coins is not unlawful.

...refusal to accept payment in legal tender banknotes and coins is not unlawful.

That seems like a contradiction in terms to me. Ah well, I don't want to go down a "legalese" route, it just struck me as odd at the time. I'm sure Aussie legislation is WAY different to UK.

We picked up the keys today anyway so we're just finalising the list of things to buy. I recommend Chicken Feed as a good place to pick up things like clothes pegs, hangers etc.