Sleepy dull adelaide.

rockola57

Hi,does anyone else find Adelaide a place where vibrancy is not on the agenda?I have lived in four different places here,and when i step out for a smoke on the doorstep after 9 pm,i cant believe there is not a soul about,deadly silence,just nowt!I admit now i have made a mistake,bringing the family over here,it aint what i expected.Yes,the UK is crap,but it is where the heart is.I miss the footy,radio 2,the TV and the sense of humour,but most of all the liveliness of it all.Nuthin wrong with Oz,its just a bit too different for me and the family,so plans are afoot,at least we had a go.

Hi,does anyone else find Adelaide a place where vibrancy is not on the agenda?I have lived in four different places here,and when i step out for a smoke on the doorstep after 9 pm,i cant believe there is not a soul about,deadly silence,just nowt!I admit now i have made a mistake,bringing the family over here,it aint what i expected.Yes,the UK is crap,but it is where the heart is.I miss the footy,radio 2,the TV and the sense of humour,but most of all the liveliness of it all.Nuthin wrong with Oz,its just a bit too different for me and the family,so plans are afoot,at least we had a go.

Good for you, at least you gave it a good go, good luck with moving back and i hope it all goes well for you.

:smile:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi rockola,

its not a secret that Adelaide is like that, thats why most people go elsewhere and thats my advice, before thinking about returning to the uk try somewhere else, my tips are, Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne, although Perth might be too quiet for you also. All the best jim.

Adelaide has never been for us in the 4 years that we have been here and finally we are leaving next year to go to Queensland.:v_SPIN:

We flew straight to Queensland from England for a holiday before we started our new life in Adelaide and first wondered, "what the hell have we come to".

Now Adelaide hasn't been all bad and is still a lot better than where we came from. I have never once wished we were back in England.

It is too quiet for us here and the infrastructure is a joke, especially in the southern parts and the government are too slow in spending money in making things better.

I have always said that a motorway from the south to the north would make things so much better. Instead you have to stop and start at traffic lights every few minutes and you can only go 60 most of the time.

We are not into wine regions, the fringe festival or motor racing. These are the main things that happen in SA.

Now the Q'land government are always building new roads to make things better.

There is so much to see and do up there and I don't just mean the theme parks.

I would also suggest trying somewhere else to live as each state is so different from the next.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Hi rockola,

its not a secret that Adelaide is like that, thats why most people go elsewhere .

Have to admit this made me smile - I would say "it's not a secret that Adelaide is like that, that's why most people come here!"!!!

If you're into the bright lights, big city, busy roads thing, then Adelaide won't float your boat, but if you're into everything being accessible, almost empty beaches, hills and trees for cycling, walking, and outdoor living, great sports, good food and drink, and a family-based social life, then I think Adelaide is probably the best place in Australia!!

Personally every time I travel elsewhere in Australia, it reminds me of the benefits of Adelaide, but as I say, not everyone's cup of tea and no reflection on you and your family if it's not, as it's similarly no reflection on Adelaide if it doesn't offer what you specifically want!

And there's always BBC iPlayer - Home for Radio 2 ffs!!!!

these posts make me smile, i know i am going to get it from all angles here but so what!

you left the uk which means you have left the tv, radio and whatever else it is but guess what Australia does have tv, and radio. it might not be the same as in the uk but why not see if different is good!

Guest Guest9973

It is interesting to see all sides of life here.

I've got to say that I don't find Adelaide boring ,just different.

If it had the same facilities and nightlife as where I came from - what was the point in moving?

We did come here doe a second crack at life.

There is a lot to do if you spend a little time looking for it.

I really don't want to hear "civilisation" out there in the evening when I'm having a beer.

:cool::cool:

I know exactly what you mean, don't know about anywhere else, but i was in Melbourne and that sounds just the same as Adelaide.:dull:

I stayed in Adelaide for several months before...and yeah, I am glad to be living now in Melbourne with my partner. I'm not saying I did not enjoy Adelaide but I am certainly happier where I am now.

Good luck on your next move, Rockola.

Victoria...the place to be! (wink!)

Guest siamsusie
I stayed in Adelaide for several months before...and yeah, I am glad to be living now in Melbourne with my partner. I'm not saying I did not enjoy Adelaide but I am certainly happier where I am now.

Good luck on your next move, Rockola.

Victoria...the place to be! (wink!)

Hi HP, good to see you:hug:, I have a sister in law in Adelaide, a step son who trained at The Flinders Hosp. I loved Adelaide, I thought it was a great wee city, spotlessly clean, good infrastructure, lovely beaches, and the Brossa is gorgeous. Melbourne is a wonderful city as well,I have so many happy memories of the place, South Yarra being my favourite,

It's a good job we all like different areas. We are just so fortunate in life in making and having the choice where we settle in the world arent we? unlike many others:hug: Susie xx

Hi Susie! I used to work at Flinders Medical Centre..but I really don't want to talk about it coz my experience (in and out of the hospital) wasn't too good...and that's probably one reason why I don't want to go back to Adelaide.. :)

Guest siamsusie
Hi Susie! I used to work at Flinders Medical Centre..but I really don't want to talk about it coz my experience (in and out of the hospital) wasn't too good...and that's probably one reason why I don't want to go back to Adelaide.. :)

:hug: shame, still you are happy, you have your visa HP and living your perfect life:wubclub: susie x

Guest siamsusie
yeah, susie..you're right. I am happy now..definitely. :)

umm...would be happier though if I soon get the job I want..hehe.

HUGS :hug:

Come the New Year we will be working , so we must make use of "lady of leisure" times HP:wink: Susie xx

I really don't want to hear "civilisation" out there in the evening when I'm having a beer.

:cool::cool:

Know what you mean. We went out for a meal with friends at the weekend. When we came out there was a bloke throwing up in a doorway and his mate having a pee in the next one. Then there was a group of girls with the tiniest skirts on and highest heels, shouting to a group of blokes to "come and have some if they wanted it". WTF! Will stick to going out in the day time only.

I'm in the UK by the way.

ep after 9 pm,i cant believe there is not a soul about,deadly silence,just nowt!

Yes,the UK is crap,but it is where the heart is. .

Ok, two things...this bit is the rambly bit....

I think it depends where you live-even though you've lived in a few places...and it takes time to get to know where to look. If you go to the city, you will obviously find more happening (specially round Hindley Street lol!) or places like Glenelg, but I suppose if you look at any small suburbs, the only things that happen would be if your neighbours have guests. Then there are the different things that go on for relatively short periods of time...like the moonlight theatres, or festivals etc. I yearn for silence sometimes, having been woken up for the last few nights by koala grunting (eeeww, I know what they're doing!) and dogs barking like they thik they're auditioning for that bloomin' 101 Dalmations scene! :twitcy:

I love that combination of being able to find stuff to do when I want it, staying quiet when I don't. I like the fact that my young (14)son is able to hang with mates on the oval till late at night (and oh yes! I know which friends I'm happy with and which are the graffitti-ing/drinking/smoking ferals he can't be with!) or watching the bmx club etc. It's really only life here, I don't think its so different from the UK...or perhaps it just depends where in the UK you came from?

This is the bit I really wanted to say!

I don't know, but if you were going back for no other reason that you miss the UK, I'd still congratulate it for giving it a try. IMHO you can do all the research you like, but no one can prepare you for missing 'home' or friends and family,or that intangible thing that makes you feel that you belong heart and soul to the UK.

Life's too short! Enjoy the time you have left here and good luck for the future.

:wubclub: LC

Guest proud2beaussie

Then there was a group of girls with the tiniest skirts on and highest heels, shouting to a group of blokes to "come and have some if they wanted it".
Maybe they meant the blokes could try the high heels on if they wanted.:biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am moving to Adelaide in Jan 2010 with my partner. We are on the 475 state sponsorship visa. Our plans are eventually to move to Queensland. Is this possible with the 475 Visa? Could we both stay in Adelaide on this visa for 6 months then move up to regional areas in Queensalnd?

Hope i am making sense.

Thank you

Hi, I am not sure if your visa is a permanent one (all the visas have changed since we have been here) but if it is, you can move. We came on the stni visa 4 years ago and was told we had to do 2 years in adelaide before we could move. We were told that it is only a moral obligation to stay.

We are finally moving to Queensland next year after being here for 4 years. The lack of ongoing work, which meant we were lack of funds prevented us from being able to move beforehand. After all this time and work situation not getting any better, we have finally bit the bullet and thought "sod it, we are going no matter what now".

Our house is up for sale and as soon as it is sold, we are off.

Even if you are on a temporary visa, I have heard of people leaving adelaide to go to Perth and Queensland, so it is possible either way.

I just wished the points hadn't changed before we submitted our application as we were set to go to Queensland but ended up having to come to adelaide. Although we were thankful of any visa to get us here and adelaide is still better than where we come from, going straight to queensland would have saved us all the trouble of having to move again.

Good luck.

Have to admit this made me smile - I would say "it's not a secret that Adelaide is like that, that's why most people come here!"!!!

If you're into the bright lights, big city, busy roads thing, then Adelaide won't float your boat, but if you're into everything being accessible, almost empty beaches, hills and trees for cycling, walking, and outdoor living, great sports, good food and drink, and a family-based social life, then I think Adelaide is probably the best place in Australia!!

Personally every time I travel elsewhere in Australia, it reminds me of the benefits of Adelaide, but as I say, not everyone's cup of tea and no reflection on you and your family if it's not, as it's similarly no reflection on Adelaide if it doesn't offer what you specifically want!

And there's always BBC iPlayer - Home for Radio 2 ffs!!!!

I'll second that having tried most of other places its good to come back to Adelaide.

Les

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lindylou65

Hi, we are lving in Adelaide at the moment and find it really dull and boring. We had to come here as all the other states were full, in June we can apply for our permanent visa and we can't wait because then we can get out of this backward place, I want to see The Real Australia!.

Guest Guest9973
Hi, we are lving in Adelaide at the moment and find it really dull and boring. We had to come here as all the other states were full, in June we can apply for our permanent visa and we can't wait because then we can get out of this backward place, I want to see The Real Australia!.

Where are you living???

There is Soooo much to do here it's untrue.

Friday we went to the Moonlight Cinema - great outdoor picture show where you take a picnic.

The Tour Down Under is about to start.

The Fringe Festival is coming soon.

Lots of events here.

That's before I start on free days out picnics/ beaches/fishing.

Life is what you make it!!!:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

Have you looking in on the sister site Poms In Adelaide.

PomsInAdelaide: South Australia Migration & Expat Forum

Good luck with your move home, Adelaide is different to other parts of Australia, some people like the quieter type of city for their family, but as always one part of Australia is not a criteria to judge the whole country.

these posts make me smile, i know i am going to get it from all angles here but so what!

you left the uk which means you have left the tv, radio and whatever else it is but guess what Australia does have tv, and radio. it might not be the same as in the uk but why not see if different is good!

you can still have your English tv and radio here:jiggy:

Friday we went to the Moonlight Cinema - great outdoor picture show where you take a picnic.

The Tour Down Under is about to start.

The Fringe Festival is coming soon.

Lots of events here.

That's before I start on free days out picnics/ beaches/fishing.

Now Tyke, how did you forget the Sexpo??????:biggrin:

LC

Archived