Approx shipping costs - house removals

Lauren82

Hello everyone.

I am just wondering if anyone would mind sharing the approx shipping they have paid or been quoted. (inc. insurance) The removal companies I have looked at won't come out to give quotations untill we are closer to our move date so just hoping to get a bit of an idea off those who have experience in this.

We have considered not sending anything over at all and starting afresh over there but now thinking there are a few bits that we would like to keep.

I expect we will only need a shared container. I have heard people mention on here 'half container' quotes. Has anybody had an even smaller share of a container?

Hope to hear from you...

XXX

Ok, I will carry on talking to myself.... Lol!

I had a received a guideline quote today for

Half a container 500cuft = £2493

Quater of a container 250cuft = £1392

Estimate/Quote includes:

Professional export packing at your residence, utilising export packing materials and cartons.

Numbering and listing of all packages for customs requirements.

Transportation to our warehouse and loading into our share a container service.

UK & destination Port/Terminal handling charges.

Ocean Freight to arrival vessel destination port/terminal.

Customs Clearance, haulage of container and unloading.

Delivery of Household effects to residence as specified above (assumes good access and not above first floor),

unpacking and removal of packing materials.

Can anybody spot any additional expenses? Insurance is the only additional expense I am aware of... any ideas how much I should expect to pay in insurance?

I am only after a rough idea so I can decide whether to ship anything or everything.

Thank you, :)

Hi Lauren, we've just (last Friday) sent a full 20ft container from Brighton to Sydney. The price before "extras" was £3737. Extras included a wooden crate for our TV £75 (optional), NES fee £45, Freight Increase (?) £39, and the standard liability cover as you mentioned which worked out at 2.8% of the total value that you declare.

Thanks guys!...

I think I will defo consider taking our furniture now, especially as it is all fairly new.

and Tupe, Best of Luck with the move. Enjoy!!

Take it all.

By my reckoning you can easily pack the equivalent of $100 grand of 'stuff' (average contents of a 4 bed house, nothing flash, priced for replacement in Australia) in a 40' container that costs under 6k to send out.

Or in other words, it costs £3k to send out what will cost you $50k to replace if you ditch it in the UK.

The only thing to watch is stuff that may not fit in your new place. We have now have one spare IKEA wardrobe...

Good luck with the move.

I'm just currently working out my replacement value of everything for our insurance, am up to approx £15k and thats not including the little random bits and pieces that are going that don't have a huge value individually but altogether would be expensive and time consuming to replace. Our best shipping quote is £2k for 500 cft, with insurance and customs as extra. When we realised how much it would cost to replace everything we knew we were doing the right thing by shipping the majority of stuff! With the current exchange rate it is expensive to start from scratch with money brought over from the UK at this present moment in time. We've just returned from our validation trip and we had a good look around the furniture shops, and even with a discount for cash it was still worth shipping.

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT
Hi Lauren, we've just (last Friday) sent a full 20ft container from Brighton to Sydney. The price before "extras" was £3737. Extras included a wooden crate for our TV £75 (optional), NES fee £45, Freight Increase (?) £39, and the standard liability cover as you mentioned which worked out at 2.8% of the total value that you declare.

wow, that's a really good quote.... could I ask who that was with??

wow, that's a really good quote.... could I ask who that was with??

Hi Andrea, we went with PSS. Had quotes from Anglo Pacific and GB Liners which were about 500 and 800 more expensive respectively.

• 2 years later...
Guest Dermo1
Hi Andrea, we went with PSS. Had quotes from Anglo Pacific and GB Liners which were about 500 and 800 more expensive respectively.

I am moving to Sydney in Jan 14 and have had 3 quotes up till now. 1) PSS £4047 written without calling at house 2) Crown removals £4740 (1000 cubic feet container/20ft) or £5866 if take all my stuff (1250 cubic feet/shared container) 3) John Mason £3698 (20ft) and found them the friendliest.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest glilly65

[h=2]Moving Home back to oz[/h]

I am moving back to OZ next month and am looking for some help, i have been quoted £2950.00 door to door for my container from a company and an extra 850.00 for my car but i have to pick it up from the port. They supply boxes also. Please can i have your opinion on this???

Would very much appreciate it. :biggrin: