Rep
      She is a 1985 mate.........

Good news???!

Title
      The Import Oracle (?!)
      Liked
      178 times
      Rep
      Very - the rules for bringing in a car that's built prior to 1989 are very different. Effectively it's open slather (unless you happen to be importing a hot rod). The relevant link for applying for import approval is here:

Vehicles imported under the pre-1989 scheme, improved explanatory material

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Ok there are a few links there that I will have to read through. Thanks though.

You dont by any chance have a short and sweet story of the pre 89 scheme??!

Title
      The Import Oracle (?!)
      Liked
      178 times
      Rep
      Ok the short and sweet version of the pre-1989 rule.

Up until about 2005, our commonwealth government allowed cars to come into Australia freely once they'd hit their 15th birthday, with only basic modifications needed for registration (a similar process to personal imports - more on that later). The problem was, there were a number of good Japanese cars built circa-1989 (the Nissan GT-R being the most notable one), and import numbers skyrocketed accordingly.

So it was then changed to the pre-1989 rule to stem the flow, and will remain the pre-1989 rule until 2019, when it will then become the 30-year rule. All clear? :)

So, in effect, if the car you want to bring over is built prior to 1 Jan 1989, you don't need to go through the rigmarole of applying for it as a personal import, because you can import it under the pre-1989 scheme.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Cool, that was laymans :)

So technically I can leave it in my dads name so? (il read deeper into the links by the way :) )

Fecking aussies are afraid of a bit of stiff competition against your NA Holdens and Fords. Im sure forced induction will catch on eventually! Some say its Witchcraft lol!

Title
      The Import Oracle (?!)
      Liked
      178 times
      Rep
      Yeah you just need an invoice in the name of the importer on the paperwork.

Plenty of supercharged Holdens and Fords over here too - in fact Ford sell a turbo 4.0 6 cylinder and a supercharged 5.0 litre V8 these days ;) Reliability is up there with mid-1990s Land Rover though...

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Are the same costs involved though? Does it work out cheaper or dearer?

And also....am I wrong in thinking that next year it will be pre 1990 cars, the following pre 1991 cars and so on? Just want to be clear on that as I have 2 other projects that are 1990 and 1991......

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      946 times
      Rep
      Thanks very much for a very informative post, I do have one question though which I have read various answers to, but can you bring more than one vehicle, I have a car and two motorcycles i want to bring, all in my name but the wife's insured on ten car too , any help would be appreciated !

Title
      The Import Oracle (?!)
      Liked
      178 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by ks652 View Post
      Are the same costs involved though? Does it work out cheaper or dearer?

And also....am I wrong in thinking that next year it will be pre 1990 cars, the following pre 1991 cars and so on? Just want to be clear on that as I have 2 other projects that are 1990 and 1991......

Costs would be exactly the same as if you were to do a personal import. Unfortunately the pre-1989 rule will stay as such until 2018, after which point it will be the 30 year rule.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
      Thanks very much for a very informative post, I do have one question though which I have read various answers to, but can you bring more than one vehicle, I have a car and two motorcycles i want to bring, all in my name but the wife's insured on ten car too , any help would be appreciated !
      You can only bring in one vehicle every 5 years now, unfortunately. If your wife regularly used the car, then she'd need to demonstrate that fact through means other than the registration papers, which would leave her bringing in the car and you'd be able to bring in one of the bikes.

• John Mason International Movers

•  
    Page 3 of 140 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast