Page 2 of 140 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Title
      Liked
      11 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by fleabo View Post
      If it is only a car, why do you want to import it? Once you answer that question, you will understand the Australian government's attitude.

Nice post Iron Chef.

Cheers.
      My feelings are, if you have decided to move permanentely to Australia as a migrant and have shown this by paying for medicals and getting a permanent visa as well as the cost of shipping all your worldly goods and paying for flights to get there, surely the Australian government could see this and give a little, allowing them to bring their vehicles as a one off move, to these new settlers as a gesture of good will. Its not like they have lived in OZ a few years and are trying to make a fast buck out of importing vehicles.......

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      If it is only a car, why do you want to import it? Once you answer that question, you will understand the Australian government's attitude.

Nice post Iron Chef.

Cheers.
      As far as cars are concerned, the taxes added to the costs of transporting make the importing of vehicles financially questionable. Add to this the breaucracy involved which is typical of any Australian government department and it becomes a non-starter for most people.
      The point I was trying to make is that the big picture of trying to encourage skilled migration is forgotten as the various government departments wheel out the full bureaucratic machine, which was probably designed to catch dodgy dealings. The argument that they are protecting Australian interests therefore falls down because the greater good is in attracting skilled people who have been trained at another country's taxpayers costs; they don't seem to have developed any guidance on how and when to impose rules. Noting the old bangers I've seen driving around Aus and the absence of an MoT type test, safety arguments won't wash.
      I've dealt with a few Aussie companies and they are similar in that they micro-manage daily activities without applying sguidance or without viewing the overall picture. As with the government, they develop some well thought out management tools but then overuse them to control minor issues. Perhaps it is a cultural thing.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      2768 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by burgledad View Post
      As far as cars are concerned, the taxes added to the costs of transporting make the importing of vehicles financially questionable.
      There is the answer.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      There is the answer.
      The cost disincentives explain why people don't take their cars but do not answer my question regarding the Aus government's petty & small-minded attitude and their inability to see the big picture & to provide incentives to migrants. They don't get the concept of a "goodwill gesture" as suggested by Carlos because there is no associated measurable dollar amount. They understand cost (easy to control) but not value (takes some thinking about).
      I've dealt directly with another branch of the Aus government who have the same "cost" mentality, trying to squeeze every last penny out of each situation and not seeing that they are pulling the teets off the cash cow. Small country thinking.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      2768 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by burgledad View Post
      The cost disincentives explain why people don't take their cars but do not answer my question regarding the Aus government's petty & small-minded attitude and their inability to see the big picture & to provide incentives to migrants. They don't get the concept of a "goodwill gesture" as suggested by Carlos because there is no associated measurable dollar amount. They understand cost (easy to control) but not value (takes some thinking about).
      I've dealt directly with another branch of the Aus government who have the same "cost" mentality, trying to squeeze every last penny out of each situation and not seeing that they are pulling the teets off the cash cow. Small country thinking.
      That is a question you could pose on Chewing the Fat - you'll get a wealth of responses - we (me included) are now dragging this useful thread off track. Apologies to the OP.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi Iron Chef....this is my story. Im living in Ireland with my girlfriend whom is Australian. We will be applying for our spouse defacto visa in June with the hope of heading over come Feb/March 2012. I own a classic merc that is in my dads name for insurance purposes. I can insure it legally but it would mean taking out a new policy and in turn spending of more ! The car is going for hibernation next week for a full engine rebuild a bit of tlc and il take it back on the road come April. What would you advise? Should I take out a policy in Feb in my own name and change the book back to my own name? Im Kieran John and my dad is John Kieran (first and second names...not surnames!) so I could just change the name on the book to avoid adding more owners ya know. Its also registered to my dads home address where I was raised but have moved out.

My worry is that they will say, no, you dont own the car and you cant proove that you do or that you drive it so you cant bring it in! I will need to do something over the next few months to ensure that doesnt happen though.

You advice would be greatly appreciated.....

She's the same as this with clear indicators (pride and joy!!) Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      11 times
      Rep
      You MUST be able to prove you have owned and used the vehicle for a full 12 months. If you try to pull the wool over their eyes believe me you will lose the car and get a fine. You must have documentation to prove the car has been in your name and at your address and have been insured for the full 12 months.

Title
      The Import Oracle (?!)
      Liked
      178 times
      Rep
      Ok I'll add a few more questions to this thread first...

Is importing worth it? This is the $64m question of course! Going through the importing process for cars is not for the faint hearted, mainly because of the red tape you have to conquer.

If you absolutely love your car and can't bear to part with it, then obviously you're going to choose to import it regardless of what I say, and that's fine, I've brought in many cars over the years that don't make any sense from a financial standpoint.

If you've heard rumours that bringing cars to Australia is like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, then I would encourage you to do some further research before going through the rigmarole of applying for import approval.

If your car is sold in Australia already, then I suggest you check what it is worth here on this website:

Car Prices - Search Car Prices & Values Online - Red Book

You may well find that you go to an awful lot of effort and expense to bring a car here, only to find that it is worth less here than what it owes you, particularly if it is a fairly basic model.

If you're bringing over something more upmarket, then there is potential for profit, particularly if the car you happen to own is a model that can't enter the country any other way and is therefore desirable to astute collectors here. Feel free to ask if you aren't sure whether your car falls into this category.

Why are Australian governments such ar$eholes? Dealing with them on a daily basis, I regularly wonder this myself!

The personal import regulations have been tightened recently in response to dodgy businesses here rorting the system to make as much money as possible, by contacting ex-pat Aussies living overseas and effectively paying them to have cars registered in their names. This, of course, is not the intention of the scheme - it's not set up so that Aussies can send back cars every year and make money on them.

Like most governments, Australian governments have never met a dollar they didn't like, and so when you import any goods over $1000 into Australia, you're going to get hit with 5% stamp duty on the cost of the car and its shipping charges THEN get another 10% GST charged on the cost of the car, its shipping charges and the 5% stamp duty - yes, you pay tax on a tax...

Not only that, the state government will also get you for stamp duty of approximately 4% of the vehicle's value when the time comes to register it here. As you can see, they all do quite nicely out of importers.

Title
      The Import Oracle (?!)
      Liked
      178 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by ks652 View Post
      Hi Iron Chef....this is my story. Im living in Ireland with my girlfriend whom is Australian. We will be applying for our spouse defacto visa in June with the hope of heading over come Feb/March 2012. I own a classic merc that is in my dads name for insurance purposes. I can insure it legally but it would mean taking out a new policy and in turn spending of more ! The car is going for hibernation next week for a full engine rebuild a bit of tlc and il take it back on the road come April. What would you advise? Should I take out a policy in Feb in my own name and change the book back to my own name? Im Kieran John and my dad is John Kieran (first and second names...not surnames!) so I could just change the name on the book to avoid adding more owners ya know. Its also registered to my dads home address where I was raised but have moved out.

My worry is that they will say, no, you dont own the car and you cant proove that you do or that you drive it so you cant bring it in! I will need to do something over the next few months to ensure that doesnt happen though.

You advice would be greatly appreciated.....

She's the same as this with clear indicators (pride and joy!!) Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
      Before I go through the long answer, was it built prior to 1989 by any chance?

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      The rules for pre 89 cars are very different

• John Mason International Movers

•  
    Page 2 of 140 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast