Should we stay or should we go...we're going!

Susanssy

Well, the last few weeks have been turmoil, with discussions every evening as to whether or not we should cut our losses only eight months into our life Down Under and return to the UK.

We have finally come to the conclusion that although life here could improve for us in time, we are not prepared to hang on indefinitely for things to get better without any guarantee that they will.

For us, there are just too many pros to returning to the UK. OK so we shan't be spending hot summers on the beach in shorts, vest and open toes, looking healthy and living the 'dream'. We will however, be able to enjoy the things that we once took for granted from a totally new perspective: family support, job satisfaction, the NHS, decent state education, a sense of community (and belonging), the BBC, and of course Waitrose - even Tesco seems attractive compared to the Woolies and Coles monopoly.

In all seriousness though, what we both (my husband and myself) need to do now is to realise that this wasn't just a HUGE financial and emotional mistake - it was something that needed to be done in order to move forward with our lives (yes I have been watching a bit too much of Julia Gillard). Otherwise our life would be one big "What if?" rather than a more positive, helpful and anecdotal "Remember when".

It hasn't been easy but once the decision was made and after many phone calls, ebay ads, car sale forums, removal quotes and landlord discussions, we are finally set to move in around three weeks, and although I can't wait to appreciate all those things that I desperately miss now, I will miss Australia and all it has to offer. Who knows maybe one day in the future we too will add our names to the list of the serial ping pongers of PIO and return to settle into the quiet life on the beach.

But for now - get me back to the land of the living, where diversity is celebrated, community spirit is alive, the pub is just a walk away, there are more than two supermarkets, where cadurys chocolate tastes GOOOD, Christmases are cosy and to where we belong!

Will keep you posted on our return.

Guest Clarebob
Well, the last few weeks have been turmoil, with discussions every evening as to whether or not we should cut our losses only eight months into our life Down Under and return to the UK.

We have finally come to the conclusion that although life here could improve for us in time, we are not prepared to hang on indefinitely for things to get better without any guarantee that they will.

For us, there are just too many pros to returning to the UK. OK so we shan't be spending hot summers on the beach in shorts, vest and open toes, looking healthy and living the 'dream'. We will however, be able to enjoy the things that we once took for granted from a totally new perspective: family support, job satisfaction, the NHS, decent state education, a sense of community (and belonging), the BBC, and of course Waitrose - even Tesco seems attractive compared to the Woolies and Coles monopoly.

In all seriousness though, what we both (my husband and myself) need to do now is to realise that this wasn't just a HUGE financial and emotional mistake - it was something that needed to be done in order to move forward with our lives (yes I have been watching a bit too much of Julia Gillard). Otherwise our life would be one big "What if?" rather than a more positive, helpful and anecdotal "Remember when".

It hasn't been easy but once the decision was made and after many phone calls, ebay ads, car sale forums, removal quotes and landlord discussions, we are finally set to move in around three weeks, and although I can't wait to appreciate all those things that I desperately miss now, I will miss Australia and all it has to offer. Who knows maybe one day in the future we too will add our names to the list of the serial ping pongers of PIO and return to settle into the quiet life on the beach.

But for now - get me back to the land of the living, where diversity is celebrated, community spirit is alive, the pub is just a walk away, there are more than two supermarkets, where cadurys chocolate tastes GOOOD, Christmases are cosy and to where we belong!

Will keep you posted on our return.

Hi Susanssy, We're were in your situation this time last year, been there for 8 months and convinced that although it was nice not for us, and thought if we're going to return better sooner rather than later. So after nearly a year we returned to the UK, yes it was great to be back BUT something not right, thought it was just adjusting and waiting for our stuff at first but now all settled and sorted. I think it's surprising how much you can change in a year. So even though we were sure we had made the right decision, I now wish we had come back for a holiday first (as soooo many people surgested). Even seriously considering returning before our visa's run out and I was so convinced that I would never be a ping ponger, kids even keen and my daughter was desperate to return to the UK. Anyway as loads of people say everyone's story and answer's are different. Good luck with whatever you do. Clare

Guest Arnold

After 4 years of being on Oz, we have decided to go back, it's gonna take sometime to get things in order, but I am very excited about our future and glad we gave it a go. At least we can say we tried whether we stay or go, we did something exciting and different with our lives. Wishing you all the luck in the world as your new adventure begins :)

I'm so jealous, but wish you all the best.

I would love to move back to the UK (been here for two years), but unfortunately I'm stuck and very unhappy.

Best of luck

Guest roma 1

Hi,

Good Luck on your return and as you say you will not have to live with the "what if's" as i sometimes do as my husband got cold feet and we lost our chance as he is 45 this year!!.

It is not all gloom and doom everywhere.. where are you moving back to please?

Anyway again ,All the Best, Gail :jiggy:

Hi Susanssy, We're were in your situation this time last year, been there for 8 months and convinced that although it was nice not for us, and thought if we're going to return better sooner rather than later. So after nearly a year we returned to the UK, yes it was great to be back BUT something not right, thought it was just adjusting and waiting for our stuff at first but now all settled and sorted. I think it's surprising how much you can change in a year. So even though we were sure we had made the right decision, I now wish we had come back for a holiday first (as soooo many people surgested). Even seriously considering returning before our visa's run out and I was so convinced that I would never be a ping ponger, kids even keen and my daughter was desperate to return to the UK. Anyway as loads of people say everyone's story and answer's are different. Good luck with whatever you do. Clare

Hi Clare - thanks for this although it did confirm our fear that we too will think we have made a mistake once we are home. However, what myself and my husband must do is remember how hard it has been and the feelings that we have experienced rather than looking back on our life in Oz through rose tinted glasses.

Having said this we are incredibly fortunate to have been able to experience living in another, wonderful country and that we had the courage to follow our dreams even if things didn't quite work out as we had hoped! Yet this has all been for a reason, hopefully we shall return to the UK and find contentment after all.

Shall let you know how it all goes.

Hi,

Good Luck on your return and as you say you will not have to live with the "what if's" as i sometimes do as my husband got cold feet and we lost our chance as he is 45 this year!!.

It is not all gloom and doom everywhere.. where are you moving back to please?

Anyway again ,All the Best, Gail :jiggy:

Hi Roma. We are moving back to Surrey - near Kingston upon Thames. I guess the fact that we haven't been away for very long will help us adjust back into daily life quickly and hopefully our expectations will be more accurate than if we had been out of the country for some time.

It's a shame you didn't do what your heart wanted although I'm sure reading this forum helps to point out that the grass isn't always greener!

Thanks for the well wishes and hopefully I shall make contact again from your side of the world!

Take care.

After 4 years of being on Oz, we have decided to go back, it's gonna take sometime to get things in order, but I am very excited about our future and glad we gave it a go. At least we can say we tried whether we stay or go, we did something exciting and different with our lives. Wishing you all the luck in the world as your new adventure begins :)

I agree - at least we tried it!

I'm really looking forward to the next chapter in our lives. When do you think you will return?

I would love to move back to the UK (been here for two years), but unfortunately I'm stuck and very unhappy.

Best of luck

Thank you for your well wishes - are you stuck for good, or just for now?

Thank you for your well wishes - are you stuck for good, or just for now?

Looks like i'm stuck here for good. The thought of it.............

Guest roma 1

Hi Susanssy,

Thanks and you are right about the grass not always being greener..

I have read lots of moving back posts and it has made me think..

take care and catch you on this side,

Gail x

Guest gail.crease
Hi Roma. We are moving back to Surrey - near Kingston upon Thames. I guess the fact that we haven't been away for very long will help us adjust back into daily life quickly and hopefully our expectations will be more accurate than if we had been out of the country for some time.

It's a shame you didn't do what your heart wanted although I'm sure reading this forum helps to point out that the grass isn't always greener!

Thanks for the well wishes and hopefully I shall make contact again from your side of the world!

Take care.

We used to live in Surbiton and although we moved to Hampshire for a few years before coming to Oz, we find now we miss Kingston and long to live back there. We visited there last April and had forgotten how nice it was. I miss the Saturday morning markets in the square and the christmas markets, my brilliant hairdresser, walks along the Thames in the summer, abundance of bars and restaurants along the river and a short commute to London (from Surbiton station anyway). Just wish we still had our house there. The only thing I don't miss is the traffic especially in central Kingston and around Hampton Court. It used to get gridlocked in rush hour and weekends. Good luck with the move.

Join the gang! Not a nice feeling being trapped, is it?!:hug:

Hi Quoll, not it isn't. Don't know what I'm going to do. How do you cope?

Hi Quoll, not it isn't. Don't know what I'm going to do. How do you cope?

Lots of tricks, basically from CBT and a vague sense of compromise which sees me go home at least once a year and he takes responsibility for earning enough to fund my habit. Not ideal but better than nothing. Been doing it for a long time now and I would love to tell you it gets easier but I havent found that it does unfortunately.

Best of luck

Hi Kag sorry to hear that could you please explain more about your experience and why your so unhappy thanks.

Lots of tricks, basically from CBT and a vague sense of compromise which sees me go home at least once a year and he takes responsibility for earning enough to fund my habit. Not ideal but better than nothing. Been doing it for a long time now and I would love to tell you it gets easier but I havent found that it does unfortunately.

That would be lovely going home every year, unfortunately we need every cent just to get by! I try to keep positive, but struggle. I does help in a way that there is someone else out there that feels the same as me. Thanks Quoll

Hi Kag sorry to hear that could you please explain more about your experience and why your so unhappy thanks.

Hi Rams

Where do I start. Came to SA to be with family who wanted us to come and sold us the same story of a better life like the SA migration do (hubby turned down job and removal package in Sydney because of this). The family were beyond awful. Heard this story so many times since.

Hubby was lucky enough to get a job before we can out here (very unusual - boss is a Pom), but with a very reduced salary. I can only manage to get menial, low skill, casual jobs. I have three and can still go up to 3 months with no work! I've been applying for any kinds of office or retail work for the last 18 months! UK experience, skills and qualifications mean nothing here! I have now had to resort to a TAFE course we can't really afford and don't want to do, in the vain hope that someone will employ an 40+ female, rather than a younger, cheaper person.

My eldest is nearly 20 and can only get casual shop work (about 12 hours a week). He's been applying for about a year for traineeship jobs as his TAFE course in IT was a complete waste of time, effort and money! IT courses in TAFE SA is renown for being crap!

The winters are long, cold and very wet. I know they are in the UK, but at least in the UK you have central heating and double glazing. We have reverse aircon and a wood burning fire, but still very cold. We can wear our coats all day and have blankets for TV watching at night! There is no heating in the bathrooms, apart from the overhead heat lamp which were banned in the UK years ago!! We have never been so cold.

The cost of living is more expensive than the UK. The prices are the same, but you earn less. We have never struggled as much to keep our heads above water! We definately have a reduced standard of living compared to our life in Essex. We now can't afford to have a family holiday, were as we used to have two a year!

Our youngest has been diagnosed with a cronic condition since being here. We really can't fault the medical care he has had, but find it hard to fund the cost of his monthly, life long, medication.

It's not all doom and gloom here, we have met some lovely people. We have and are still are trying to make an effort! We aren't saying that the UK is better, but it definately isn't better here! I wish we had been told the real truth before coming out!

Hi Rams

Where do I start. Came to SA to be with family who wanted us to come and sold us the same story of a better life like the SA migration do (hubby turned down job and removal package in Sydney because of this). The family were beyond awful. Heard this story so many times since.

Hubby was lucky enough to get a job before we can out here (very unusual - boss is a Pom), but with a very reduced salary. I can only manage to get menial, low skill, casual jobs. I have three and can still go up to 3 months with no work! I've been applying for any kinds of office or retail work for the last 18 months! UK experience, skills and qualifications mean nothing here! I have now had to resort to a TAFE course we can't really afford and don't want to do, in the vain hope that someone will employ an 40+ female, rather than a younger, cheaper person.

My eldest is nearly 20 and can only get casual shop work (about 12 hours a week). He's been applying for about a year for traineeship jobs as his TAFE course in IT was a complete waste of time, effort and money! IT courses in TAFE SA is renown for being crap!

The winters are long, cold and very wet. I know they are in the UK, but at least in the UK you have central heating and double glazing. We have reverse aircon and a wood burning fire, but still very cold. We can wear our coats all day and have blankets for TV watching at night! There is no heating in the bathrooms, apart from the overhead heat lamp which were banned in the UK years ago!! We have never been so cold.

The cost of living is more expensive than the UK. The prices are the same, but you earn less. We have never struggled as much to keep our heads above water! We definately have a reduced standard of living compared to our life in Essex. We now can't afford to have a family holiday, were as we used to have two a year!

Our youngest has been diagnosed with a cronic condition since being here. We really can't fault the medical care he has had, but find it hard to fund the cost of his monthly, life long, medication.

It's not all doom and gloom here, we have met some lovely people. We have and are still are trying to make an effort! We aren't saying that the UK is better, but it definately isn't better here! I wish we had been told the real truth before coming out!

Have you considered moving interstate as there may be better prospects in the larger centres like Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane, not sure about Perth

Archived