Small amount of Stuff!

emmaroo

I have sent a 20kg parcel to Roxby downs 7 hours from Adelaide using collectmyparcel.com it cost £63.00 door to door with full on line tracking arrived 5 days later, brilliant happily recommend them to all, however it virtually costs the same to send 10kg as 20kgs and it is worked out on cubic feet so don't use a square box, oblong ones are half the price, hope this helps, I am currently packing another one up, daughters wii, wii fit, games, quilt covers and sheets ( as these are expensive in oz) and she wants a new colour scheme... and shoes, clothes so I can travel light on the day, in theory.

Guest yugoj
Hi Emma, I always use Freedom Shippers when I am back Freedom Shipping -- Amazing Service, Amazing Prices

Great service, and exceptionally reasonable.

The couriers call you before arrival and its trackable all the way to Perth for you.

Susie :wubclub:

I've read some bad reviews on Freedom Shipping....although all companies are going to get the odd bad review so I'm happy to have an open mind. The main concern is the hidden 'extra' costs. Susie - was the cost you saw on the quote the actual cost you paid or did you have to pay customs, quarantine or any other Australia costs at all?

Also, when sending a small amount (boxes rather than a whole or 1/2 container) do you know if customs / quarantine open everything (and therefore charge you for it) or is it just if you mention that you have something 'suspect' (i.e. a wooden item or something which might be muddy).

I've also been looking around for quotes for sending a few boxes to Oz and have found that Simpsons provide the best quote (considering we're outside the M25). Once you've paid for your first largest box, it's only £29 per T Carton (L46cm x W46cm x H61cm) and £55 pick up charge (free if you're in the M25). But once again are there going to be any hidden charges at customs?

Thanks everyone!

Guest sunnygirl

Hi, last time we moved to Oz, yes this will be our second time!! We used Seven seas as we only sent over clothing and personal effects no furniture or large items as such and they were very reasonalbe and very efficient and easy to deal with.

This was about 4 years ago now so not sure how they would compare on price now, but they provided boxes and other packaging materials free and then ( i think) they charge based on the number and size of boxes that you use, i,e they have tea chest size and book boxes. Each size box had to be under a certain weight or there were additonal charges to pay as i recall.

This time we have a family and will be taking everything apart from the kitchen sink, actually if there is room in the container we would probably try to throw that in as well. We found out last time that selling everything we own in England and buying new in Oz is very expensive and the savings on not booking a container were counter productive as the cost of a container is easily less than it cost us to set up home when we arrived last time.

We thought that we would be able to rent a furnised place but these were few and far between when we arrived and to be honest even the few furnised places that we saw were not great, (bit dated to say the least).

Hope this helps

Archived