3 weeks since emigrating, my personal experiences!

Que Sera Sera

Its been 3 weeks since we arrived here in Secret Harbour which is south of Perth and just North of Mandurah. What we have experienced so far is:

My OH found a job, indeed two about six weeks before we moved, he had been trying for about 6 months from the UK but quite honestly no one was interested until he had the visa and a definate date of entry, then people were very keen.

He works with an all Australian workforce although the owner is British. He has found the workforce really friendly and has had no problems whatsoever. In fact his workmates are bringing their Ute and helping us move this week.

We hired a holiday rental for the first month and were concerned as we had heard on here that it is really difficult to get a long term. Well the first one we applied for we got. Its the same rent we were paying in Bristol for a 3 bed terraced house with one bathroom and it is a 4 bed detached with 2 bathrooms and another loo, lounge diner and extra lounge, double garage with up and over automatic door, the usual here!

We managed to get a car with low mileage yep a lot more expensive for second hand cars than the UK but its relative as you can sell it for a lot more too.

The food is on average cheaper than in Bristol where I come from. You tend to get bigger packs of food and if you have room to store them you can get some fantastic bargains. We have opened bank accounts with no hassle whatsover and have been offered an overdraft immedietly and a credit card after 3 months.

Where we live the place is overun with cycle paths and as a cyclist it is very welcome to me.There are some brilliant furniture packages and we have got some fantastic bargain kitchen ware from places like Target and the Big W.

When we were in the UK my OH was always moaning about the cost of my wine in the pub, well he certainly doesnt now. I picked up a box of wine from the local bottle shop for $11.99 for 5 Litres and we worked out that it is about £1 per bottle and its really nice and I am fussy with my red!!

The school is brilliant my son has gone in smiling and come home smiling and told me he thinks its the best school ever. The parents all say hello and are always smiling.

The weather has on the whole been sunny although we did have a week of 0 degrees at night and then torrential rain and thunderstorms but hey it is the middle of winter.

My OH has started with a soccer team and already been asked on socials.

So far so flipping good I say, now as I said this is my personal experience and I appreciate that many may not have had such a positive experience, but we love this life and wouldnt change a thing at the moment.

Oh and yes we came on a meagre budget and have managed very well thanks :jiggy:

Guest Tomlinsons

So good to hear, we move to Bunbury south of you in 3 weeks time, getting the wobbles but really reassuring.

Thanks Jo

Guest bourbonjack

Hi Catherine....

WOW, good for you....

I am at the initial stages of looking at moving, we are currently in Birmingham, UK and cannot wait to leave!!!

We have friends on both sides of OZ, but we are thinking of moving to the Perth area....our friends both say that its the best move they made....

Keep on with your progress..

Regards

Steve..

Its been 3 weeks since we arrived here in Secret Harbour which is south of Perth and just North of Mandurah. What we have experienced so far is:

My OH found a job, indeed two about six weeks before we moved, he had been trying for about 6 months from the UK but quite honestly no one was interested until he had the visa and a definate date of entry, then people were very keen.

He works with an all Australian workforce although the owner is British. He has found the workforce really friendly and has had no problems whatsoever. In fact his workmates are bringing their Ute and helping us move this week.

We hired a holiday rental for the first month and were concerned as we had heard on here that it is really difficult to get a long term. Well the first one we applied for we got. Its the same rent we were paying in Bristol for a 3 bed terraced house with one bathroom and it is a 4 bed detached with 2 bathrooms and another loo, lounge diner and extra lounge, double garage with up and over automatic door, the usual here!

We managed to get a car with low mileage yep a lot more expensive for second hand cars than the UK but its relative as you can sell it for a lot more too.

The food is on average cheaper than in Bristol where I come from. You tend to get bigger packs of food and if you have room to store them you can get some fantastic bargains. We have opened bank accounts with no hassle whatsover and have been offered an overdraft immedietly and a credit card after 3 months.

Where we live the place is overun with cycle paths and as a cyclist it is very welcome to me.There are some brilliant furniture packages and we have got some fantastic bargain kitchen ware from places like Target and the Big W.

When we were in the UK my OH was always moaning about the cost of my wine in the pub, well he certainly doesnt now. I picked up a box of wine from the local bottle shop for $11.99 for 5 Litres and we worked out that it is about £1 per bottle and its really nice and I am fussy with my red!!

The school is brilliant my son has gone in smiling and come home smiling and told me he thinks its the best school ever. The parents all say hello and are always smiling.

The weather has on the whole been sunny although we did have a week of 0 degrees at night and then torrential rain and thunderstorms but hey it is the middle of winter.

So far so flipping good I say, now as I said this is my personal experience and I appreciate that many may not have had such a positive experience, but we love this life and wouldnt change a thing at the moment.

Oh and yes we came on a meagre budget and have managed very well thanks :jiggy:[/quote nice one wish you all the best , were in port bovard till 27th july then home to bonny scotland, this place is good eh? stevie

Guest TheHollies

Oh and yes we came on a meagre budget and have managed very well thanks :jiggy:[/quote nice one wish you all the best , were in port bovard till 27th july then home to bonny scotland, this place is good eh? stevie

take it things havnt gone as well for you?

Guest terraformer

What a fab read, really good to hear such positive info. We have our visas and just sold our house yesterday, after only six days on the market (never ever been that lucky before) so hopefully we will be coming over end of Jan/Feb to Secret Harbour. Look forward to hearing more of your adventures and any tips you have.

Best wishes

Linda

what a great post. i love reading how people settle in. lots of people stressed on here waiting for smp's, so great to hear some positive posts!

also hoping to head to Perth. lived there before 10 years ago. dont think secret harbour was there at the time!! So there is loads of new areas to look at when we get there.

thanks for posting.

cheers caz

Hello Catherine

Congrats to you both on such a positive start to your new life in Oz, and thank you for such a positive post for those of us who are hoping to go. We are hoping to move on a tight budget and I wanted to ask how much was your budget?

Congrats again and I hope things continue to go well! Can't wait for the next installment!

How wonderful, its great to hear positivity, but i think if you go positive and look for the best, you will always find it :) Long may it remain, its certainley brightened my day, hope all goes well with your move x x x

Hello Catherine

Congrats to you both on such a positive start to your new life in Oz, and thank you for such a positive post for those of us who are hoping to go. We are hoping to move on a tight budget and I wanted to ask how much was your budget?

Congrats again and I hope things continue to go well! Can't wait for the next installment!

Guest TheHollies
we are going back to prob sell and move over for good , this place is good and i mean good , so no we have had a very good time and met good ozzie friends, we love it

glad to hear that it is all going well for you. :wubclub:

Guest Batfinktasha

so glad to hear positive feedback, we are at the final stages, OH looking for work now and then the big move, am really nervous about the whole thing and excited, so really refreshing to hear all is going well. Could you tell me who you got the holiday let through as Im currently looking in Mandurah area also. Thanks in advance and all the best. Txxx

Hi all, thanks for the lovely comments, I wanted to come on here an give our story because quite frankly we were majorly nervous having read some of the posts on here too.

Just to answer a few questions. We are staying in a holiday rental which we booked through Stayz.com its called Little Haven and the owner Kathryn has been fantastic and given us a glowing reference so I would recommend this place without a doubt.

We came with about £10,000 and we have managed quite well on that. Mandurah is where my OH works and he says its taking him 10 minutes to get to work in the mornings.

Good luck everyone :wubclub:

Hi Cath,

I am soooo pleased you have settled in so quickly, really can't think of a more deserving family!

Wish you heaps more happiness and success,

Look forward to future updates from you!!

Love & :hug: Dawn xxx

I'm loving following your progress Cath, because you so clearly adore your life here, it's an inspiration to others who have yet to make the move.

Thanks for posting, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's looking forward to hearing more from you as time goes by :wubclub:

Sue x

Archived