Tasmania in January

BuddysMum

HI

I thought of sending a PM to SiamSusie, but then thought I'd start a thread so anyone else interested would have the info too.

Our son is off to a 10 day camp in Devonport/Ulverstone in January. The journey from here in Central Queensland is a complicated one with lots of different legs. Therefore the baggage allowance is quite small.

I am just wondering if we can safely assume that it will be hot/warm at that time of year down there? Or should we treat it like the UK and send clothes for all weathers?

I am also thinking of only sending a very light sleeping bag which would be fine up here, would it be ok for down there?

I may have loads of other questions later, but I'll start with that one for now.

I don't know who is more excited about it - our 13 yr old or us!:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
HI

I thought of sending a PM to SiamSusie, but then thought I'd start a thread so anyone else interested would have the info too.

Our son is off to a 10 day camp in Devonport/Ulverstone in January. The journey from here in Central Queensland is a complicated one with lots of different legs. Therefore the baggage allowance is quite small.

I am just wondering if we can safely assume that it will be hot/warm at that time of year down there? Or should we treat it like the UK and send clothes for all weathers?

I am also thinking of only sending a very light sleeping bag which would be fine up here, would it be ok for down there?

I may have loads of other questions later, but I'll start with that one for now.

I don't know who is more excited about it - our 13 yr old or us!:biggrin:

Hi Buddysmum. January is usually beautiful here, long evenings. This year we had temps of around 26/28 here.

A light sleeping bag should be fine, and maybe pop in a couple of fleeces.... after Karratha it took me a while to acclimatise. Devonport is 40 mins from me, a great town where the Spirit of Tasmania comes into along with other large vessels.

He should have fun.... let me know if I can help further Buddysmum:wubclub:Susie

NB We use these in our sleeping bags http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PURE-SILK-SLEEPING-BAG-LINER-TRAVEL-SHEET-SLEEP-SACK-/190405332534?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Sleeping_Gear&hash=item2c550ace36 which are cool in the summer or really warm in the winter... just a thought. x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest claireandmark

He should be fine, It can get just as warm here in the summer we hit 40+ on a couple of days here last January.

HI

:biggrin:

I just found this thread - sorry I'm a bit late!

As someone who has spent about 50 summers in Tasmania I can definitely say that you can never assume anything about the weather here! It can be very unpredictable and changeable so, although we had a lovely warm summer this year, and the odd 40 deg. day is not unknown, I'd definitely be prepared for everything - hot and cold. And, as your lad is staying in the Devonport and Ulverstone area, there is a good chance he will be taken up to Cradle Mountain, which is considerably cooler. (Even snow is not unknown in January in the mountains here).

Archived