Shipping belongings to Tasmania

Guest bluesky

Guest bluesky

Hello again PIO’ers,

It’s bluesky (Gus) here again. I’m the one who started the thread titled ‘Sell Tassie to me’ a few weeks ago. Many of you regular Tassie PIO people kindly responded with your thoughts, and it was much appreciated.

I’ve started this new thread to ask about your experiences of shipping your belongings from the UK to Tasmania. I’m especially interested to hear about the costs, the companies you used and the time frames involved.

In relation to many people I think I have much less belongings. I currently live in a furnished (tiny) studio flat. As such I don’t own any large items of furniture (bed, sofa, chairs, tables, large white goods). The largest items I own are probably a couple of pushbikes, a drum kit (although I may sell this) and a small TV. Of course I’ll have more stuff than I realise, however it would definitely fit into a shared container.

I had even thought of saving the shipping costs and starting out again when in Hobart. However, I do have some decent kitchen/cooking stuff and a load of books and clothes and I've heard such things can be fairly costly to replace.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks very much, Gus

Guest siamsusie

Hello again PIO’ers,

It’s bluesky (Gus) here again. I’m the one who started the thread titled ‘Sell Tassie to me’ a few weeks ago. Many of you regular Tassie PIO people kindly responded with your thoughts, and it was much appreciated.

I’ve started this new thread to ask about your experiences of shipping your belongings from the UK to Tasmania. I’m especially interested to hear about the costs, the companies you used and the time frames involved.

In relation to many people I think I have much less belongings. I currently live in a furnished (tiny) studio flat. As such I don’t own any large items of furniture (bed, sofa, chairs, tables, large white goods). The largest items I own are probably a couple of pushbikes, a drum kit (although I may sell this) and a small TV. Of course I’ll have more stuff than I realise, however it would definitely fit into a shared container.

I had even thought of saving the shipping costs and starting out again when in Hobart. However, I do have some decent kitchen/cooking stuff and a load of books and clothes and I've heard such things can be fairly costly to replace.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks very much, Gus

Hi Gus,

There is a thread" on moving so you can do a search and this will give you some idea.

Personally I brought over a 20ft container which you obviously wont need, this cost in the region of 3,500 pounds or thereabouts plus insurance from Scotland over to Launceston (Bell Bay). The removers were excellent and I had no issues at all at either end.

I was however staying with one of my sons in London last year and purchased more linen from France, Le Creuset pots and pans , books etc and I used Seven Seas.

Excess Baggage Worldwide - Shipping Excess baggage and Excess Luggage Worldwide - Instant Free online quote

and I found them excellent... London to Launceston..... a good price, excellent to deal with and I think the entire consignments took approx 8-10 weeks.

They provide the boxes, tape , forms etc, you call them to collect, they then text you when they are at your door and thats basically it. Totally stress free.

Have you decided on Tasmania as opposed to Perth? whichever... enjoy your experiences.

Susie :wubclub:

NB I do believe weights over 30 k were prohibited but each carton took a fair amount of items

Guest bluesky

Dear Susie,

Thanks very much for your reply. Another really helpful message from you.

I've taken a look at the website of Seven Seas that you gave me a link to. I hadn't heard of them before and I'll definitely contact them to discuss their services/charges. The amount of stuff that I'd want to ship would be probably somewhere between what you shipped from London last year and the type of load that one of the major shipping companies would expect to handle. However, as you mentioned my belongings would fall very much short of the 20ft container you used for your original move.

By the way I like your style with the Le Creuset pots and pans.....very desirable!

Finally, you asked me the BIG question. Well to be honest with you I've been struggling somewhat to make the decision between Tassie (Hobart) and Perth. If I'd been offered just one job then I'd be happy to go to either place; the decision would have been made for me. Some key points have come up over the last couple of weeks. Perhaps the most significant is that I do really wonder whether I could actually afford to live in Perth. The accommodation costs there seem to be fairly high and I've read that it's fast becoming an expensive city in which to live.

On balance it's looking as though Tassie could soon emerge as the winner. I really feel that I could settle in there and enjoy many of the wonderful things the place has to offer.

Over the next 48 hours I'll be having a further chat with the person who would become my boss at the Royal Hobart Hospital about a couple of things relating to my role. At the end of this week it's got to be decision time.

I'll let you know of the outcome.

Thanks again for your help Susie.

Bye for now, Gus.

Guest siamsusie

You are welcome Bluesky,

If you are planning to ship over a container or a share of, there are numerous PIO members that will help you out with their experiences/advice etc. You can also barter for cheaper rates (I am an expert at it lol)

I have experienced both WA and Tasmania, both are as different as chalk and cheese and I enjoy both. Accommodation costs are higher in Perth, but you certainly have a warmer climate over there. Tasmania enjoys lovely long warm summers and of course cold winters, accommodation is much cheaper.

Nothing is forever Bluesky, you could do a lot worse than Hobart, and if you find yourself getting itchy feet for a warmer , more tropical feel than a quick trip over to Queensland is very feasible in a few hours and at economical costs to see what other options are available to you.

Give us a shout if you need any help. Best wishes Susie

Guest bluesky

Hi Susie,

Thanks again for your thoughts. I think we need to re-name you: Siam 'Angel' Susie because of all your kindness and help.

Bye for now, Gus.

Archived