Sell Tassie to me

Guest bluesky

Guest bluesky

Hi,

This is my first ever post on PIO and I hope you all can help me.

I’ve recently had a couple of successful telephone interviews for nursing jobs in Australia. One of these was in Perth; the other....you’ve guessed it.....is in Tasmania. The Royal Hobart Hospital to be exact. Now I need to decide where to move. Both employers are willing to sponsor me for permanent residency and so I consider myself very lucky.

I’ve spent the first couple of weeks of my PIO membership by reading many of the posts on moving to and living in Tasmania. These have been really interesting and helpful. However I wondered whether some of the regulars could help out by simply selling Tassie to me. I have visited once before, but that was all the way back in 1990! I was on the island for about 4 weeks and did some apple picking down in the Huon Valley. I was really impressed by what I saw then.

About me. I’m a single bloke who loves cycle touring, playing the drums and the occasional session of windsurfing. At 43 years old I’m also a little more mature than the average migrant (if that makes any difference).

Thanks very much.

Welcome to PiO the place where questions are asked and answers found.

I am assuming that you have no particular preferences for either of these jobs?

I cant comment on working in Tassie but scenically it is very beautiful - I think you would probably be able to do a lot more cycling in Tassie than Perth. Perth has heaps of cycle paths and of course good roads but Western Australia being so large you wouldnt actually be getting anywhere (distances between the different centres are so vast), Tassie is more compact and of course magnificent scenery to cycle through. I have seen heaps of people cycle touring in Tassie so it seems quite a done thing and I guess that would mean there is the infrastructure to support it.

Windsurfing - well the water is warmer around Perth so you would get more opportunities to Windsurf, but then the heat in Summer would probably mean that your cycling time is reduced. Both cities are somewhat isolated, although flights between cities are plentiful so no problem getting to visit somewhere else. I would imagine that Tasmania would be more family oriented which may be a problem for you being a single bloke, but that may mean that there are more opportunities to get involved with a band or something similar and use your drumming.

Good luck with trying to choose between the 2 jobs, let us know what you decide.

Guest siamsusie

Hi,

This is my first ever post on PIO and I hope you all can help

Having lived in both states, (now in Tasmania) you couldnt ask for a greater difference. Both stunning in their different ways. Hobart is absolutely beautiful, great restaurants, cafes, wonderful scenery and the Royal Hobart enjoys a good reputation.

Hobart%20at%20Night.jpg

I am up north 2 hrs away but Happy Lassie and Em & Paul, Skani etc are in Hobart and I am sure they will give you the low down on this very pretty city.

We have had an extremely hot summer this year but it is the cooler state. Perth will be much warmer, but we also have beautiful beaches, national parks, mountains, great cycling conditions. An hours hop over to the mainland! Its a very compact state (cosy), very historical and renowned for being Australia's best kept secret......I wish you luck in your decision.

Best wishes Susie

Bluesky, it's still beautiful here in Tasmania. Plenty of places to cycle and a wonderful landscape that is almost otherworldly in its beauty. :wubclub: Plenty of strong winds to keep you wind-surfing too. Oh and great food, wine and beer too.

Zoot is right about the temperature of the water here {{{{{brrrrrrrr}}}}} but it's nicer and warmer in the summer. I don't feel that there is a particular focus on families above those who don't have kids or who are single here in Tas. If you have the time, I'd advocate a visit to both states.

Guest siamsusie

OK, $100 in small denomination notes and it's yours. :biggrin:
:laugh:Chris..... now for your constructive comments!:wink:

Guest siamsusie

Hmm, well it's down south I know that much and they grow lots of apples. :biggrin:
Most of it is beautiful... its the "apple isle" north and south lol.... there are few places in Tasmania I wouldnt want to live Susie x

Climate and how you tolerate heat might be an important determining factor.

Perth can be very hot for months on end, whereas Tasmania has a very changeable climate with 4 distinct seasons, although the winters are not as cold as the UK (unless you live in the mountains).

We do get "climate refugees" who move here from Perth because they can't tolerate the prolonged periods of heat.

Because of the hilly/mountainous topography there's plenty of interesting (challenging!) bike touring and Tasmania punches above its weight in both competitive mountain bike and road touring racing. (There are 3 Tasmanians doing very well in the current Giro d'Italia which isn't bad for a population of half a million).

For wind surfing we certainly have the wind - it is the home of the Roaring Forties after all! - and people do all sorts of crazy things on the water here - in wetsuits in the cooler weather. Oh - and there's water everywhere, along with the wind!

There's a lot of artistic activity in Tasmania - it seems to be a mecca for creative people of all types. And quality of food and (cool climate) wine is very important.

It's also closer to the eastern seabord of Australia than Perth if you want short breaks away - 1 hour by air to Melbourne, direct flights also to Sydney and Canberra (about 1.5 hours) and Brisbane (2.5 hours).

I don't know if the Perth hospital is also a government one. The Royal Hobart badly needs upgrading: it's a bit of a rabbit warren at the moment and there were plans to build completely new on a greenfields site - which would be wonderful - but that is still in political-football land. But I always hear very glowing comments about the staff.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

Vivien

Guest bluesky

Thank you very much Zoot, Susie, Chris, Happy Lass & Vivien. I really appreciate your replies.

In terms of Tassie's 'changeable' weather, I currently live in Manchester, UK and so I'm very used to such conditions.

I'm rushing off to work just now but I'd like to write a longer response to you all in the next few days. And as you say Vivien I'll definitely have some more questions.

Bye for now.

Guest Colin R

Cant sell the place. love it too much!! and anyway the only way you can tell what it is like is by coming over and having a look. All I will say is that all the friends and relations that we had come to stay with us from the UK and believe me there have been a few even in the 4 years we have been here. dont want to go back and work out when they are coming back before they have gone. !!!

Cant sell the place. love it too much!! and anyway the only way you can tell what it is like is by coming over and having a look. All I will say is that all the friends and relations that we had come to stay with us from the UK and believe me there have been a few even in the 4 years we have been here. dont want to go back and work out when they are coming back before they have gone. !!!

I couldn't agree with you more and though my side of the family has yet to come out here, I'm really looking forward to not just seeing them but seeing them fall in love with Tasmania as I did almost five years ago.:wubclub:

Guest t'n'g

Just come back from Hobart loved it loved it loved it! Even saw a cyclist going up Mt Wellington as we drove past him!

Very picturesque really easy to get around the city.Never been to Perth but hear that its lovely as well, but i think if your looking for a seasonal climate (the autumn leaves were just beautiful!) then Hobart is the place cant wait to go back there !

Hello again bluesky,

Thought this website about cycling in southern Tasmania might be of interest to you

Cycling South Tasmania

(Also, Richie Port, a Tasmanian, is the current leader of the Giro d'Italia).

And I assume that your drumming means playing around with your own drumkit.

But there is also an active Taiko Drum group in Hobart

http://www.taikodrum.com/index.htm

Guest bluesky

Thanks for your reply Colin. It does sound as though Tassie leaves a big impression on those who visit. Have you got some family and friends who are actively thinking of joining you. Do you think that people from the mainland are appreciating Tassie a bit more these days too?

Guest bluesky

Hi t'n'g,

Thank you for responding.

Hobart certainly does sound lovely; it obviously left an impression on you. I'd would also like to make the BIG effort to cycle up to the top of Mount Wellington if I move there. It sounds like quite a challenge. I also think that there's a company that will give you a lift up to the top and then let you use one of their bikes to cycle (freewheel) down again.

Guest bluesky

Hi Skani,

Thanks very much for your message and all the useful info you put in for me; much appreciated.

I'll take a look at the Cycling South Tasmania site this weekend. I'm sure it'll give me some inspiration. And this Taiko drum group sound great. I'd love to have a go at some of that style of drumming. To answer your question, I do have a conventional kit and have mainly played in rock bands. So, if I decide that I want to be in a band then I guess I'm going to have to seek out a car to get me and the kit around.

Bye for now and best wishes.

I'd would also like to make the BIG effort to cycle up to the top of Mount Wellington if I move there. It sounds like quite a challenge. I also think that there's a company that will give you a lift up to the top and then let you use one of their bikes to cycle (freewheel) down again.

Yes, there is such a company. I live on the road to the mountain and I saw them taking a load of cyclists up there the other day, although we're now well outside the "tourist season" and it is often now quite nippy at the top of the mountain (below zero C).

Do you think that people from the mainland are appreciating Tassie a bit more these days too?

Tourism from the mainland during the summer continues to increase, although most mainlanders think Tassie is "too cold" to live in year round - which is rather comical for people who have lived in the UK or Europe or north America or Canada or....most of the rest of the world, really! But that's not a bad thing: too much increase in population would destroy the most attractive features of living here.

• Like 1

We've been here about 15 months and are loving it. The people are friendly and the scenery is stunning.

We do get the traditional 4 seasons and although it does get chilly in the winter time, not as cold as the UK, it is generally bright and sunny most days.

It's easy to get into Hobart and the city it lovely. Plenty of shops, restaurants and places to visit.

Emma:v_SPIN:

Guest bluesky

Dear Emma,

Thank you very much for your message. You're one of many who live in Tassie who talk about how lovely it is and how you really enjoy living there.

I've also read some of your posts from the last couple of years and found the story of you and Paul's journey really interesting. It sounds as though your settling in just fine.

Best wishes.

Guest bluesky

Hello again Tassie PIO’ers

At the moment I've still got this decision to make: Hobart or Perth. I'd be very happy to make Hobart my home. From all your kind responses and my own research it seems like a place I could really enjoy. It's just that the sponsorship/visa situation is confusing me.

The Royal Hobart Hospital have offered me a job and would like to get me into the post as soon as possible. Fine so far. I'm looking to achieve permanent residence. Fine they say. Come over on the 457 visa and then we'll sponsor you on the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme. Great! But it seems that there could be a problem. It's my age. I'm 44 in August.

Let's say I go out on the 457. I've read the conditions of this visa, and it does indeed allow you to 'upgrade' to permanent residence via the RSMS. But here comes what I think is the problem. The rules state that you have to have been on the 457 for TWO YEARS before you can change to another visa. In two years time I'll be 46, just over the 45 year maximum age limit. In that case my sponsor would have to argue exceptional circumstances (not being able to find a local, younger person) for the age criteria to be overlooked.

Therefore I could just miss out on achieving permanent residence.

My health employment agency contact say that the hospital in Perth will sponsor me directly via the Employer Nomination Scheme, although I haven’t had this confirmed.

If anyone has any thoughts, knowledge or experience about this I’d be very grateful to hear them. And if I finally get to live with you all, I’ll certainly have plenty of experience to give back to other hopefuls in the future.

My name is Gus, by the way. Pleased to meet you.

Thanks very much, and bye for now.

Hello Gus,

I know absolutely zilch about the technical side of migrating, but I suggest that you explain your situation in the Migration Issues forum on PIO. There are some experts there - both expert volunteers like Gollywobbler and a few professional migration agents who appear to keep their eye on the forum too. So hopefully, between them, you could get an answer to your query.

Vivien