Tasmanian fishing

Guest siamsusie

Guest siamsusie

Fishing in Tasmania

On average, Tasmanians own more boats than other Australians do and land more fish per hour of angling. Go to sea in search of tuna or other game fish, work the estuaries and beaches for flathead, couta and Australian salmon, or catch wild brown and rainbow trout in the lakes and rivers.

1. Game fishing in TasmaniaTasmanian game-fishing waters stretch from Flinders Island in the north all the way down the east coast to the Tasman Peninsula and hold more than 20 national gamefish records, including world records for southern bluefin tuna with fish of up to 120kg.
    From late December to June the currents flowing down the coast of the mainland raise the Tasmanian east coast water temperature to as high as 23 degrees celsius. With the currents come marlin, tuna and shark.
    During the season the challenges on offer include striped marlin, broadbill swordfish, yellowfin tuna, bluefin tuna, albacore tuna and mako sharks.

1. Trout fishing in TasmaniaTasmania’s many rivers, streams, lakes and tarns are part of a beautiful, unspoilt environment that attracts fishermen from around the world.
    Tasmania offers the freedom to fish just about anywhere at any time with solitude guaranteed by countless remote waters. The pure air, clean skies and unique fauna and flora are all part of the experience.
    The season in Tasmania runs from August to April. December to April are the best months. Fly rods in the five to seven weight range and/or light two to three kilogram spin rods are all that is needed.

Tasmania holds its head high in regard to quite a few saltwater fisheries. For many years Tasmania has had recreational bag limits for all game fish and in 2001 introduced bag limits for all saltwater species. Whilst some recreational netting is still allowed it is banned in almost all bays, rivers and estuaries - as is commercial netting.

Tasmania holds several world records for southern bluefin tuna including a fish of 108 kilograms on 15 kilogram line. Although good numbers of fish had not been caught for several years, 2001 saw the return of some great gamefishing return off Tasman Peninsula. Whilst St Helens is largely regarded as the game fishing capital of Tasmania, Tasman Peninsula rules the roost for bluefin.

Large yellowfin tuna, striped marlin, albacore, striped tuna and mako sharks are also available on the east coast from Flinders Island to Tasman Peninsula. In recent times professional charter operators have developed this fishery with most operating from St Helens. Striped marlin are perhaps the most sought after prize and in recent years the numbers caught every year are increasing.

Southern black bream are another fish eagerly sought in Tasmania. These are mostly an east and northern coast fish that grow to well over three kilograms. Nowhere else in Australia is the average size as big and a genuine four pound fish is well within the reach of keen anglers. Little Swanport and Ansons Bay are hot spots for big bream.

Susie:wubclub:

BUGGA!!!! You nearly had me, SS. Big problem; the freshwater fish are 97% introduced, ie. trout, salmon, brook trout, char, redfin and crap...

I like that bit, " From late December to June the currents flowing down the coast of the mainland raise the Tasmanian east coast water temperature to as high as 23 degrees celsius."

Bugga, the temps here get DOWN that low, in the middle of winter...on the odd cold day.:tongue:

However, one of the better fish in Tassie waters is the trumpeter, a great eating and fighting fish. Yes, there is excellent tuna angling and worthy of world wide recognition.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. But they aint got barra:tongue:

Guest siamsusie
BUGGA!!!! You nearly had me, SS. Big problem; the freshwater fish are 97% introduced, ie. trout, salmon, brook trout, char, redfin and crap...

I like that bit, " From late December to June the currents flowing down the coast of the mainland raise the Tasmanian east coast water temperature to as high as 23 degrees celsius."

Bugga, the temps here get DOWN that low, in the middle of winter...on the odd cold day.

However, one of the better fish in Tassie waters is the trumpeter, a great eating and fighting fish. Yes, there is excellent tuna angling and worthy of world wide recognition.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. But they aint got barra

:no:You dont give up....

I feel a "Introducing Barra Course to Tasmania" coming on.... in a heated pool:biglaugh:

I am going to have to go out there in May to catch my last Barra and Mangrove Jack in May:notworthy:

One thing re Tassie fishing; there is marvellous trout fishing and one does not need a passport from the Australian mainland to get there, as opposed to the shakey Isles.

I hope that the licence system is better than in NZ...I fished a paltry 6 miles of a New Zealand trout stream and had to buy 4 different licences...These stupid acclimatisation Societies...(WHINGE):laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest siamsusie
One thing re Tassie fishing; there is marvellous trout fishing and one does not need a passport from the Australian mainland to get there, as opposed to the shakey Isles.

I hope that the licence system is better than in NZ...I fished a paltry 6 miles of a New Zealand trout stream and had to buy 4 different licences...These stupid acclimatisation Societies...(WHINGE)http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/80.pdf

Cheers, Bobj.

I do love a bit of trout:biggrin: I do believe licences are easy in this neck of the wood... but I feel a shopping trip coming on for more rods. ( I take it there is a trout rod:cute:) No where the hell are the "shakey Isles? I have just discovered that you have referred Melbourne as Smellbum:confused:xx

I do love a bit of trout:biggrin: I do believe licences are easy in this neck of the wood... but I feel a shopping trip coming on for more rods. ( I take it there is a trout rod) No where the hell are the "shakey Isles? I have just discovered that you have referred Melbourne as Smellbum:confused:xx

Yus...cos it's in Victoria and we all know that Vic is the R send of Australia...:cute:

There are some excellent trout rods and very poor quality trout rods, be aware...

Bugga!!! Thought everyone knew about the shakey isles...even newchums.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest siamsusie
Yus...cos it's in Victoria and we all know that Vic is the R send of Australia...:cute:

There are some excellent trout rods and very poor quality trout rods, be aware...

Bugga!!! Thought everyone knew about the shakey isles...even newchums.

Cheers, Bobj.

Never mind all the smart stuff!!! what the hell is Shakey isles?? where is it??? Mr. S will confer with you regarding Trout rods.... :notworthy:

Guest siamsusie

god you guys, don't make it easy.heart is sit on taz,but Bobj as got me thinking about those bara

Queensland will suit you so much better Shark, go for it:tongue:

god you guys, don't make it easy.heart is sit on taz,but Bobj as got me thinking about those bara

Mate!!! You can catch those trout in any part of the UK...but not the barra...:tongue:

There are trout in Qld, rainbows and coral as well.

LAPPY001.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest shark
Mate!!! You can catch those trout in any part of the UK...but not the barra...:tongue:

There are trout in Qld, rainbows and coral as well.

LAPPY001.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

stunning looking fish,that's it you won me over:wink:

stunning looking fish,that's it you won me over:wink:

Even better colouring as soon as they come out of the water.

Price of rainbow trout in our local (Mackay) supermarkets, $10.50/kg and from Tassie:wacko:

Price of coral trout ditto......$38/kg if you are lucky. And local industry.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest siamsusie

Price of rainbow trout in our local (Mackay) supermarkets, $10.50/kg and from Tassie:wacko:

Cheers, Bobj.

:wink: Good morning wise one x

Guest shark

Cheers, Bobj.

can you farm them, coral trout,$38/kg sounds good , i no they farm bara down your way.and bobj are the coral trout like , our wrasse,but with bigger teeth.

can you farm them, coral trout,$38/kg sounds good , i no they farm bara down your way.and bobj are the coral trout like , our wrasse,but with bigger teeth.

Coral trout are farmed in Asia, but the taste is somewhat...what's the word...it rhymes with trap...:wink:

No, mate, barra are not farmed around here. There is a barra farm at Bli Bli, down near Maroochydore. But I don't think they are worth a brass razoo.

No, coral tout are not like the European wrasse. These are a premium eating fish and usually command top dollar and are sold live weight to America and Japan.

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived