Go you need lots of dosh?

twinkletoes35

Hello all,

I have watched the relocaton programmes and read lots of migration stories, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this question. For those of us who do not have a house to sell or substantal saving is migration still possible?

Would love to hear from anyone who has managed to migrate on a limited budget and hear your experiences

thanks! TT x

Guest SunshineSmile

Hi TT

Planning to migrate on a tight budget myself! I also would be interested in anyone else who did it on limited funds. I did read a thread on here some time ago about the amount of money people migrated on.. it seemed to depend on the visa they were going over on. 175/6 requires alot more cash that taking the sponsored 475 route. I would have thought it also depends on what standard of living you are prepared to put up with.. If you want top of the range car and new rental with pool and do all your shopping in a supermarket it seems that it can be quite pricey. However some have suggested on other forums if you are willing to down price the car, take an older rental without pool and shop around (Aldi and local grocers for veg, butchers for meat etc) then you can indeed shave off a large chunk of your expenses?

Lets see who else joins us on this one...

Steph

Well, if you are coming here with no job then its probably wise to have money with you, so you dont end up broke and homesless with no job. We however, came on a 457 and we only had about $5000 and that was fine for us. Yea, I would be lieing if I said I wouldnt have wanted more, but that is all we had. Hubby started work after 5 days and we lived in a cabin on a Caravan park, as they didnt require any money up front. We then found a rental after about a week and moved in 2 weeks later. I will give you a breakdown of what we spent.

Bond for rental- $1280 plus 2 weeks up front

fantastic furniture basic package- $2000

The rest was used for groceries, trips out etc..

Our furniture from the UK arrived the day we moved into our rental, so we didnt need to go buy any extras. We were lucky that our sponsor sold us a car, and just took $50 from my hubbys wage each week until it was paid.

It worked for us, but I know for some ppl. they would go insane and could not manage. I am used to roughing it LOL but in all honesty, I dont feel that we did. The cabin was like a holiday and it was right on the lake, so the kids went fishing everyday :-) We moved into a beautiful new house and have been in it now for 2 years. Its definately doable, but we could not have managed if we had come out with no job to go to.

Hope this helps someone..

Guest SunshineSmile
Well, if you are coming here with no job then its probably wise to have money with you, so you dont end up broke and homesless with no job. We however, came on a 457 and we only had about $5000 and that was fine for us. Yea, I would be lieing if I said I wouldnt have wanted more, but that is all we had. Hubby started work after 5 days and we lived in a cabin on a Caravan park, as they didnt require any money up front. We then found a rental after about a week and moved in 2 weeks later. I will give you a breakdown of what we spent.

Bond for rental- $1280 plus 2 weeks up front

fantastic furniture basic package- $2000

The rest was used for groceries, trips out etc..

Our furniture from the UK arrived the day we moved into our rental, so we didnt need to go buy any extras. We were lucky that our sponsor sold us a car, and just took $50 from my hubbys wage each week until it was paid.

It worked for us, but I know for some ppl. they would go insane and could not manage. I am used to roughing it LOL but in all honesty, I dont feel that we did. The cabin was like a holiday and it was right on the lake, so the kids went fishing everyday :-) We moved into a beautiful new house and have been in it now for 2 years. Its definately doable, but we could not have managed if we had come out with no job to go to.

Hope this helps someone..

Lizzy that helps me big time and Im sure TT also. We are already adept at living on a shoe string as oh out of work for over a year.. we see it as a bit of an adventure.. others have called me naive but your post just proved im not.. it can be done. Im coming out on 457 too so money will be coming in, I think it would be extremely difficult to do it on a budget otherwise.

:notworthy:Cheers.. Steph

I think having a job to come to is the key, because without it that's when people eat into their savings just to get by. Things like buying a cheap car to start with (and a newer one later), save the pennies until you get established.

If you've got children, remember there are school fees to pay even in public school. I paid out about $1,000 this year for my two (1 in year 10 and 1 in year 5), but that included paying for my sons excursions/incursions (primary), which you can pay as they arise instead of paying up front.

There are people who've done it on a budget, they've been very realistic and very determined and the rest has fallen into place

Good luck with the migration process

Guest SunshineSmile
We had to demonstrate £18k in the bank as part of our application for QLD State Sponsorship. Equity wasn't good enough :frown:

You dont have to have that if you go on a sponsorship.. but I can understand why DIAC would require you have funds..very difficult financially to get set up without an immediate job? my preference was a 175/6 visa but I dont have the funds you have to show so no go for me! But i agree, its really tough.. we are in a recession this side of the globe.. who does have that kind of money sittting in the bank? :wacko: maybe in equity as you say, but hard cash in the bank???????? are they dreaming?!!!

Guest guest30038
Lizzy that helps me big time and Im sure TT also. We are already adept at living on a shoe string as oh out of work for over a year.. we see it as a bit of an adventure.. others have called me naive but your post just proved im not.. it can be done. Im coming out on 457 too so money will be coming in, I think it would be extremely difficult to do it on a budget otherwise.

If you've got mates, they can lend you mattresses, kitchen utensils, chairs etc till your stuff arrives:wink: Now who the feck did I loan those mattresses to? :biglaugh:

kev

You dont have to have that if you go on a sponsorship.. but I can understand why DIAC would require you have funds..very difficult financially to get set up without an immediate job? my preference was a 175/6 visa but I dont have the funds you have to show so no go for me! But i agree, its really tough.. we are in a recession this side of the globe.. who does have that kind of money sittting in the bank? :wacko: maybe in equity as you say, but hard cash in the bank???????? are they dreaming?!!!

I gather that as part of the State Sponsorship most states ask to see that you have sufficient funds to settle. Most states are happy to see this in equity or investments, but Queensland are adamant that they want to see the funds in a bank account at the time of application. It nearly threw our whole application as we can't sell our house right now!! Who does have that kind of cash just sitting around? Lottery winners?!

Hello all,

I have watched the relocaton programmes and read lots of migration stories, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this question. For those of us who do not have a house to sell or substantal saving is migration still possible?

Would love to hear from anyone who has managed to migrate on a limited budget and hear your experiences

thanks! TT x

Maybe not lots of dosh but a couple of grand for the visa app and a few more to get over and support yourself until you're earning.

Rather than the cash the biggest thing is qualifying for a visa though, have you checked to see if you could get one?

Hello all,

thanks! TT x

Hi we are going with a parent visa, which is tottally differently , as we will not be earning much. My daughter and her boyfriend (now husband) came with very little. they had to show that they had so much in their bank accounts to get their visa. They didnt have enough, so they put all there cash into one account, and once that was checked they withdrew it all, and put it into the other account. They have been in Sydney for 6 years now, and doing well. So yes migration is still possibe. Good luck. Phyllis.:hug:

Guest JK2510

We willl be going with about $4000. We will be staying at my mums for at least 12 months. I ve recently lost a well paid job so that put a stop to anything extra! All we will have to pay is some extra towards the groceries!! We have tried the planning but everything seems to go wrong.

At the end of the day we just wanna have that visa in our passports!!

Jodie

Guest SunshineSmile
If you've got mates, they can lend you mattresses, kitchen utensils, chairs etc till your stuff arrives:wink: Now who the feck did I loan those mattresses to? :biglaugh:

kev

Me thinks those matresses will be in huge demand Kev! :wink:

Guest JayCook77

I will be leaving with next to nothing, literally, I was working parttime but my hours have been cut right back, in fact for the last 2 weeks they haven't needed me in.... I do have a parttime second job but that only 2hours a week and earns me enough for my tobacco for the week and thats it... Very depressed at the moment. Its annoying cus there aren't any jobs down here at the moment either cus everyone is obviously still worried about the economy or something. Also annoyed as once I get to Australia I have a good job to go to which is near enough fulltime work, and yet I am stuck here. I hope the fact that I am going out there with only a couple of hundred pounds isn't going to affect my Visa App!!!!!

Guest SunshineSmile
We willl be going with about $4000. We will be staying at my mums for at least 12 months. I ve recently lost a well paid job so that put a stop to anything extra! All we will have to pay is some extra towards the groceries!! We have tried the planning but everything seems to go wrong.

At the end of the day we just wanna have that visa in our passports!!

Jodie

Hi Jodie,

Sorry to hear you recently lost your job, that is difficult and disheartening when it upscuppers your savings plan :frown:

But like you say the visa is the important thing and you are very lucky you have your Mum to go to.. and in my experience the best laid plans never go accordingly :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JayCook77

My siuation has now changed due to some shift arounds in the staffing at my work so now I have more hours.... :wink:

This week I have worked 2 shift on Wednesday, 2 on Thursday, 1 Today, and I will be doing one tomorrow and one on Sunday too. All is looking up again for saving up some money again. However I still can't wait to leave my current job, Its not exactly a career... washing dishes and peepling the odd 3 sacks of potatoes for a restaurant, luckily its just a gapfill until I get back to Australia... Funny though, from March to June of 2009 I was doing similar work at a pub just up the road, Then June to September 2009 I spent with my girlfriend in Australia, and have been doing this job since a week after I got back in Sept 2009 till now.... By the looks of things I could be flying out AGAIN in this June... I hope so.

I wonder if it will be the same date as last year 6th June ???? That would be quite a coinsidence wouldn't it LOL.:biglaugh:

I Hope things start looking up for you again soon Jodie !!!

Hey Freebo

As a registered nurse, I qualify for a visa was thinking about going for a 176, as my partner is home full time looking after our 7 month old son. Raising large amounts of savings is tough on one salary.

If we could raise reasonably enough to start us off we would move tomorrow, and I do not mind ju,ping straight into a nursing post over there. But it is just making sure your giving yourself enough of a start, eg rent deposit, second hand car etc.

I know we could go on a 457 but i think I would be happier on a 176, just proving you have enough to live on.

Thanks to all who have responded to this post, especially sunshine smile!. Would love to hear more from all of you or anyone who can shed any light on this most difficult of questions

Best Wishes to all

TT xx

Hey Freebo

As a registered nurse, I qualify for a visa was thinking about going for a 176, as my partner is home full time looking after our 7 month old son. Raising large amounts of savings is tough on one salary.

If we could raise reasonably enough to start us off we would move tomorrow, and I do not mind ju,ping straight into a nursing post over there. But it is just making sure your giving yourself enough of a start, eg rent deposit, second hand car etc.

I know we could go on a 457 but i think I would be happier on a 176, just proving you have enough to live on.

Thanks to all who have responded to this post, especially sunshine smile!. Would love to hear more from all of you or anyone who can shed any light on this most difficult of questions

Best Wishes to all

TT xx

Ahh great stuff, I figure having a job & earning Australian dollars as soon as possible is the most important thing (the exchange rate is really bad at the moment so your pounds don't buy as much).

I've read heaps of posts from people who went out with just a few grand and did just fine, I'm sure you will too!

P.S. Mrs Freebo just picked the winner of the national (and 3rd place too, out of 3 picks, we had them all each way, shame it was only for £2 each!)

Just remember 457s are quick but precarious ,you are tied to your employer , get ambulance cover no matter what , its atemp visa to get pr is going to cost the same as it does in the uk , if you come with nowt , try and save a little for bond and your first weeks rent thats 5 weeks rent , you have to live somewhere ,be it hol let ,caravan and that will pull on your wages so to get a long term rental try and bring ya bond over

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JayCook77

My Fiancée Jessica's dad has already talked with the company he works for and they said that I can come work part-time in their warehouse while I look for something more perminant as they are always short staffed there. We will be living with her parents until Jess finishes Uni in 2 years, no rent but help with shopping and housework is required and I thank them for that as like they said it allows us to save some money up for rent and things for when we set out on our own after Jess is finished with Uni and can find work as a teacher. I soooooooo can't wait to be back there and hope that having a job to go to and a guaranteed place to live will help me get my Visa a little quicker. I also HATE my current job as its very boring and is not something I took on while I looked for something better, no good changing jobs now so I am stuck with it !!!!

Archived