Tasmania: Maybe nice to place some pictures that appeal to you here!

Guest siamsusie

Guest siamsusie

evandale_a2d147l.jpg

Horse riding amongst the orchards in Evandale North Tasmania.... The Apple Isle they call us!

flinders-island_a2f130l.jpg

Flinders Island Tasmania

longford_a2f199l.jpg

Longford Tasmania

Kevin (itcouldbeworse) has some beautiful photography on Tasmania, I sincerely hope he can download some of his piccies here.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30038

Dove Lake Boathouse, Tasmania, at dusk with Cradle Mountain in the background. The long shadows as the sun sets are amazing here with one side of the lake still in sunlight and the other side in darkness.

Towards the southern end of Lake Dove, just before you reach the boathouse, you will enter a magnificent cool temperate rainforest known as the Ballroom Forest. Ancient myrtle-beech trees festooned in moss tower majestically from a moss strewn forest floor. The effect is stunning, and reminiscent of an ancient cathedral and is particularly eerie at this time of day, being in darkness.

The boat house is near the end, (If you walk clockwise) of the Dove Lake walking circuit. The 6km track is one of Tasmania’s premier walks. It will take you right around Dove Lake and beneath the towering spires of Cradle Mountain. The track is boardwalked for much of the way and is located in Cradle Mountain – Lake St Clair National Park.

new0310.jpg

Port Arthur prison block, Tasmania.

One of the first things that struck me whilst touring the prison was the biting wind, even though it was a summer day. The cell blocks had open windows with only bars across them. It beggars belief that anyone could survive in there in winter!

Escape was virtually impossible but some prisoners were not discouraged by this, and tried to escape. Martin Cash successfully escaped along with two others. One of the most infamous incidents, simply for its bizarreness, was the escape attempt of one George “Billy” Hunt. Hunt disguised himself using a kangaroo hide and tried to flee across the Neck, but the half-starved guards on duty tried to shoot him to supplement their meagre rations. When he noticed them sighting him up, Hunt threw off his disguise and surrendered, subsequently receiving 150 lashes.

As I stepped out of the block on a fairly bright summer day, the sky darkened, the wind increased, and it began to rain. This atmosphere, that I hope that I have captured here, added to how I felt regarding the misery, hardship, and deprivation, that the convicts had to endure

prisonmap.jpg

Dawn At Lake Pedder

Having roughed it for a week….........4 of us in a Hiace campervan….........poor old Josh sleeping on the floor because the hire company had packed us off with two side awnings instead of a side and a rear sleepout, we decided to treat ourselves to a one-night stay in the Lake Pedder Chalets at Strathgordon.

The chalets were built to accommodate the workers at Strathgordon Dam, and the Park Rangers, but are also open to visitors. The en suite and heating were a luxury, as was the delicious evening meal and a few bottles of wine and a continental brekky. The staff were welcoming and informative, and the cost well within our budget…........I recommend a stay to anyone heading that way.

I digress….........the morning was heavy with drizzle and despite the beauty of my surroundings, I was unable to capture it faithfully via conventional means due to the haze, so here’s my version of my morning walk there, the resulting image arrived at after buggering around with4 filters, something which I have never tried before, as I have always found them rather naff….........but I rather like this (I think?)

new0370.jpg

Guest guest30038
attachment.php?attachmentid=1565&stc=1&d=1267423880

The lone Hammock in my back yard on the River Tamar

it's that lonely, it's left :wink: :biglaugh:

Guest siamsusie
it's that lonely, it's left

:laugh::laugh:you devil.

Thank you for the most amazing pictures and the dialogue as well, all incredible, but the last hazy picture is just beautiful and captivates the whole atmosphere.

Please keep them coming Kev.

Regarding my pictures, most of them are from the internet I am sorry to say, I am just a novice, but when Mr Siam gets over here with my camera I will be posting some authenticity:wink:and of course his assistance.

There are some wonderful villages like Ross, Richmond, Evandale here that would remind people so much of old Blighty... looking forward to seeing more pictures from the people down south as well

Love Susie x

Guest siamsusie
Dove Lake Boathouse, Tasmania, at dusk with Cradle Mountain in the background. The long shadows as the sun sets are amazing here with one side of the lake still in sunlight and the other side in darkness.

Towards the southern end of Lake Dove, just before you reach the boathouse, you will enter a magnificent cool temperate rainforest known as the Ballroom Forest. Ancient myrtle-beech trees festooned in moss tower majestically from a moss strewn forest floor. The effect is stunning, and reminiscent of an ancient cathedral and is particularly eerie at this time of day, being in darkness.

The boat house is near the end, (If you walk clockwise) of the Dove Lake walking circuit. The 6km track is one of Tasmania’s premier walks. It will take you right around Dove Lake and beneath the towering spires of Cradle Mountain. The track is boardwalked for much of the way and is located in Cradle Mountain – Lake St Clair National Park.

new0310.jpg

Port Arthur prison block, Tasmania.

One of the first things that struck me whilst touring the prison was the biting wind, even though it was a summer day. The cell blocks had open windows with only bars across them. It beggars belief that anyone could survive in there in winter!

Escape was virtually impossible but some prisoners were not discouraged by this, and tried to escape. Martin Cash successfully escaped along with two others. One of the most infamous incidents, simply for its bizarreness, was the escape attempt of one George “Billy” Hunt. Hunt disguised himself using a kangaroo hide and tried to flee across the Neck, but the half-starved guards on duty tried to shoot him to supplement their meagre rations. When he noticed them sighting him up, Hunt threw off his disguise and surrendered, subsequently receiving 150 lashes.

As I stepped out of the block on a fairly bright summer day, the sky darkened, the wind increased, and it began to rain. This atmosphere, that I hope that I have captured here, added to how I felt regarding the misery, hardship, and deprivation, that the convicts had to endure

prisonmap.jpg

Dawn At Lake Pedder

Having roughed it for a week….........4 of us in a Hiace campervan….........poor old Josh sleeping on the floor because the hire company had packed us off with two side awnings instead of a side and a rear sleepout, we decided to treat ourselves to a one-night stay in the Lake Pedder Chalets at Strathgordon.

The chalets were built to accommodate the workers at Strathgordon Dam, and the Park Rangers, but are also open to visitors. The en suite and heating were a luxury, as was the delicious evening meal and a few bottles of wine and a continental brekky. The staff were welcoming and informative, and the cost well within our budget…........I recommend a stay to anyone heading that way.

I digress….........the morning was heavy with drizzle and despite the beauty of my surroundings, I was unable to capture it faithfully via conventional means due to the haze, so here’s my version of my morning walk there, the resulting image arrived at after buggering around with4 filters, something which I have never tried before, as I have always found them rather naff….........but I rather like this (I think?)

new0370.jpg

Amazing Kevin truly it is.. thank you

Guest guest30038

Low Head Lighthouse showing the shed to the left that houses the foghorn which can be seen protruding from the roof.

It was decided in the 1920’s to install a Fog Alarm at the Low Head Light Station to warn ships that they were approaching a dangerous shore and to advise them by means of a unique signal that the shore was Low Head.

The equipment necessary for this installation was manufactured in Birmingham, England by Chance Bros., the same company who had made the equipment for the Lighthouse and who were the leading makers of marine navigation equipment in the world at the time.

The installation was shipped to Tasmania and installed in 1929. The Foghorn was commissioned and operated without fail whenever fog was imminent. The original installation consisted of 2 air compressors (1 a standby) powered by 2 Gardner kerosene motors (1 a standby) supplying air to 2 joined air receivers, each of a capacity of 6.5 cu.m. to an operating pressure of 30lbs/sq.in. An air operated timing mechanism controlled operating and sounding valves which produced the unique tone in the Diaphone which could be heard at distances up to 20 miles. In the late 1930’s, electric power was provided to the Lightstation and Fog Horn. One of the Gardner motors was removed and replaced with an electric motor. In 1973, it was decided that, due to the rapid advancement of electronic navigation aids, the use of the foghorn was no longer necessary and the installation was decommissioned.

new0232.jpg

The Bank House is located at Derby in Tasmania`s north east and is a National Trust classified property circa 1888. It is the oldest remaining bank of timber construction in Tasmania and it ceased trading as a full-time bank on February 28, 1918. It remained a part-time branch until 1991. It now houses a large and diverse range of antiques, crafts, and bric-a-brac.

Derby became a mining boom town soon after the Krushka brothers discovered tin there in 1876. From then until 1945 there were many famous mines around the town. In Derby, you can also see a mining shanty town which has been created in the school grounds. It is complete with general store, blacksmiths shed, mine office, butchers shop, a printing office, the gaol and huts and cottages

new0533__-.jpg

Tourists view Cradle Mountain from atop the boulder at Dove Lake. The Boulder is the main feature alongside the lake and is easily accessed via a 10 minute walk from the car park/shuttle terminal

To protect the area from the vast influx of visitors, a bus shuttle service operates from a terminal well away from the lake and visitors are bused in and out of the area. This has resulted in a 30% drop in vehicular traffic whilst ensuring that everyone has easy access without the disappointment of not being able to find a parking space at the lake.

new0303.jpg

They're beautiful pictures, folks! You get amazing depth of colour in your photos, Kev.

It's inspired me to start looking through our collection...Even less housework will get done now, but I can at least blame you lot!

Have to work out how to attach my photos - bear of little brain at this hour of the evening!

Guest siamsusie

Kev, they are truly stunning pictures... I am sitting here in awe of them... I went to George Town the other day to pick up a phone from Telstra at the Post office, and decided to have a peak at Lowhead I didnt realise that that was on my doorsetp albeit on the east Tamar side. Its quite amazing, with museums, various lighthouses etc. Please do keep them coming because this wonderful little state gets forgotten sometimes. A big Thank You ...love Susie x

Guest siamsusie
They're beautiful pictures, folks! You get amazing depth of colour in your photos, Kev.

It's inspired me to start looking through our collection...Even less housework will get done now, but I can at least blame you lot!

Have to work out how to attach my photos - bear of little brain at this hour of the evening!

Arent Kevin's pictures magnificent Skani,? real works of art. Never mind the house work, we would love to see your pictures from your neck of the woods as well:wubclub: Susie

Guest Magnetic6

Looks absolutely stunning, cheers ss and Kev for sharing. Tasmania is a place i'd never even considered visiting until i started using this site. Thanks for opening me eyes to such a lovely place! x

Guest siamsusie

048-020-m.jpgHobart Cottages on a stormy day

049-037-m.jpg

Liffey Falls Tasmania

049-002-m.jpg

Cape Raoul,Tasman Peninsula Tasmania

Guest siamsusie
it's that lonely, it's left :wink: :biglaugh:
[ATTACH]1571[/ATTACH]

My lonely hammock in back yard

Guest Rouge

Wow what great photo's! Thanks for sharing them with us Kevin & Susie! Look forwards to seeing your's soon Skani! Tasmania is truely a stunning place!!

Guest Squem
Looks absolutely stunning, cheers ss and Kev for sharing. Tasmania is a place i'd never even considered visiting until i started using this site. Thanks for opening me eyes to such a lovely place! x

I was just about to say the same thing Mags! Maybe me and you can visit Susie at the same time :) then we can skype Sue and drink wine hahaha!

Loving the photos guys!

Kev... I would love some of your photos! They are amazing!! Am I right in thinking you sell some of them or something?! Or am I wrong? x

Guest siamsusie
I was just about to say the same thing Mags! Maybe me and you can visit Susie at the same time :) then we can skype Sue and drink wine hahaha!

Loving the photos guys!

Kev... I would love some of your photos! They are amazing!! Am I right in thinking you sell some of them or something?! Or am I wrong? x

:laugh:You are a wicked lass! She is the" Mother of The Chapel" so to speak, but we will have to organise a big get together when you are all here, would be wonderful and we have nominated you as the baby sitter Sqemy:tongue:.

I am sure Kevin will gladly assist you with his photographs, I feel an extension to the rumpus room is coming on just for the pictures:frown: Love Susie

Guest guest30038

Loving the photos guys!

Hi Squem. Yes, I sell 'em, but only to strangers/clients through red Bubble. If they click on "buy" below the jack in the box on my web pages, it directs them there where they can buy them. The few bob I make just helps me with my equipment as I'm retired now and only do it as a hobby. I like to "take the edge off them" so that they look more like artworks than photographs so they aren't really appropriate for conventional photgraphy publication clients..........it's just nice (for me) to be in a position now where I am able to "do my own thing" without being constrained by convention.

They're free to PIO members and friends though. Just visit my web site and tell me which ones you like and I can arrange for you to download them........Take to harvey norman's or similar for printing (if in Oz) or jessops or similar if in UK. Pick a cheapo frame of your choice, frame it yourself, and you have a piece of wall art for a fraction of what you would pay commercially.

Feel free to tell me what you want.

kev

Guest Squem
:laugh:You are a wicked lass! She is the" Mother of The Chapel" so to speak, but we will have to organise a big get together when you are all here, would be wonderful and we have nominated you as the baby sitter Sqemy:tongue:.

I am sure Kevin will gladly assist you with his photographs, I feel an extension to the rumpus room is coming on just for the pictures:frown: Love Susie

Excuse me whilst i take the thread of topic for a second.. but BABY SITTER?! How the heck am I supposed to join in with the girls get together if i have mags kids in tow?! hahaha!

Guest guest30038

Some from my "Dark Side"

Valley Of The Damned

Gordon Lake in drought. The lake was created/enlarged by the Gordon Dam and now, in the time of drought, the devastation caused by that dam is plain to see.

When I arrived at the lake and was confronted with the landscape before me, I had mixed feelings of it being possessed of a strange dark beauty, whilst at the same time it seemed to speak to me of some kind of impending doom and devastation…........an indicator if you will of man’s folly and what may be if we don’t get a grip on the environment. The dead trees seemed to speak loudly of death, due to their black colouration.

The day was drizzly with poor light and I knew that I couldn’t capture the image in camera, well enough to portray what I was feeling.

In view of this, the image here, was arrived at by “playing around” all day until such time as I arrived at an image that spoke to me of how I felt when I first saw the lake. I am not a PhotoShop guru, and the processing was a matter of “suck it and see” with many visits to the recycle bin and starts anew.

It has made me think deeply about my art and I have come to realise only now, after all these years, that my primary focus has always been to portray how I feel and not what I see….........are they one and the same?.............I don’t know? I do know though, that the limitation of film and sensor, rarely portray (in the raw image) just how I feel when I am taking a picture.

This realisation came to me when after listening to my many sighs and tuts, my son asked, “why are you spending so much time on that? It looked ok when you downloaded it from the camera.” “That may be”, said I, but the original just doesn’t stir me as the lake did when I first saw it. I’m trying to re-create that feeling.”

The image here is how I felt when I first saw that lake I suppose, not how I, or the camera saw it, and if I can, through my photography and processing, arrive at those feelings each time I view my images, then I will be a happy man.

Hope it stirs something in you.

new0388.jpg

Death In The Valley

Sister shot to Valley of the damned

Gordon Lake at day’s end after a storm and with the setting sun breaking through, also showing the effects of the drought. The lake was created/enlarged by the Strathgordon Dam and now, in the time of drought, the devastation caused by that dam is plain to see.

The lake was created in the early 1970s for hydroelectric power by the Hydro Electricity Commission (HEC). It was the largest and most controversial hydro-electric power schemes in Tasmania.

Lake Gordon has a storage capacity of 12.5 cubic kilometres of water (12.5 billion tonnes), the equivalent of 25 Sydney Harbours.

Lake Gordon is connected with the (new) Lake Pedder which supplies additional water for the Gordon power station.

new0387.jpg

Misery

Storm clouds, which I saw as symbolic of the misery caused by drag addiction, hang over this poppy crop in Tasmania. The atmosphere here at the time, due to fadng light and drizzle was totally miserable.

The fences around these crops carry government warnings of the legal implications for theft and mis-use of the crop.

In Tasmania, the crop is grown for the production of morphine, codeine and thebaine. These alkaloids are extracted from the poppy straw and used in the manufacture of pain killing drugs and in cough mixtures.

The seed of the morphine plant can also be used in cooking and the Tasmanian variety can be recognised by its distinctive blue-grey colour.

Seed from thebaine-enhanced poppies is not sold for culinary purposes.

poppy__-.jpg

Guest siamsusie
Excuse me whilst i take the thread of topic for a second.. but BABY SITTER?! How the heck am I supposed to join in with the girls get together if i have mags kids in tow?! hahaha!

:tongue:Yes yes! babysitter, and the air is pretty furtile here, so she could be in for some more.... we will take over from you Sqemy when you have them ALL nicely settled and asleep:hug: PS we will bring you in a wee drink into the "quiet area" pmsl

wart.jpg

Waratah Tasmania

The house to top left was where I lived for a few years, it was the old police station, complete with jail cell! The white building is the hall, and the brick building besides it are the council offices, the house with the green roof is the museum, and the mustard buiding is the sports stadium.

To the right of the waterfall was part of the Mt Bischoff tin mine, funny thing was Waratah helped build Burnie.

Mt%20Bischoff.jpg

Guest siamsusie

Kevin, what insight, and this is proving to be so educational as well... As "Andrews" said in their post, no need for conversation really! quite incredible.. Where were those Poppy Fields please?

and thank you Susie x

Archived