Cost of Rental properties / Reccie

Guest Deboroo2

Guest Deboroo2

Hello all

I am looking at rental properties within the surrounding areas of Perth, Melbourne or even Sydney.

I have looked at real estate agents websites, But i am not sure on the average rental cost as some advertised per week or they do not state whether they are monthly or weekly?

Please can anyone help on the average rent for a house or apartment.

Also i am looking places where my partner and i might like to live, but I'm finding it difficult to find out the information on places. Any websites, people recommend?

So far i like Joondalup, Perth or Mordialloc, Melbourne.

Again your advice would be wonderful

Thanks

Guest juliemtaylor

if you are looking at long term rentals just go to domain.com.au or realestate.com.au and put in your various suburbs. The prices are usually per week, and show the bond required.

If you want info re your reccie rental, in Melbourne you can look at Moving to Melbourne Meet & Greet,Furnished Rentals,Airport Pickup Relocation Assistance.

Julie x

Guest Toorak Trev

Average rental long term would be about $500 per week long term ie 12 months and about $1000 short term ie couple of weeks.

There is however likely to be a spike to around $2000 per week for short term and close to $800 for long term.

are you actually emigrating or are you coming over on a reccie?

Kate from Moving to Melbourne is a great resource for rental accomodation & area information in and around Melbourne.

Plenty of others can probably help, but your post is a bit vague. Give us a bit more info and i'm sure you will get plenty of advice.

Whats hubbys/your job.

Do you want beach/bush

love or hate hot weather

do/dont want cool/cold winters

do you have kids?

etc etc

Guest Deboroo2

Thank you all for your responses. We are going on a reccie in 4 weeks time and will be visiting Melb, Sydney, Perth and their surrounding areas.

The main bread winner is my partner, he is in IT manager. I am in Accounts Admin and cover all areas whether it's cash, sales or purchase ledger.

It would be nice to live close to the beach, and would be nice to be living in a warmer climate would be lovely.

I also don't drive so living close to public transport is a must. As it would be nice to see have my independence. It would be nice to go to the supermarket or central Melb on my own and not rely on my partner.

We are in our in our 30's so we still like going out in the evenings too

We don't have any children but we do have a housebound cat

Thank you all for your responses. We are going on a reccie in 4 weeks time and will be visiting Melb, Sydney, Perth and their surrounding areas.

The main bread winner is my partner, he is in IT manager. I am in Accounts Admin and cover all areas whether it's cash, sales or purchase ledger.

It would be nice to live close to the beach, and would be nice to be living in a warmer climate would be lovely.

I also don't drive so living close to public transport is a must. As it would be nice to see have my independence. It would be nice to go to the supermarket or central Melb on my own and not rely on my partner.

We are in our in our 30's so we still like going out in the evenings too

We don't have any children but we do have a housebound cat

That makes it a lot easier.

Personally 4 weeks visiting three major cities will not make it easy, thats for sure. There is so much to see & do in such a short time.

I'll give you a start for Melbourne. IT as far as I have read on various forums recently is still going strong. There is work out there, but you do need to put in the work to get a job. Sydney still seems fairly strong at the moment as well for IT, but Melly probably has the edge. Your line of work wont present too many problems finding something as well i'm sure.

You mention Mordialloc, but you might also look into Point Cook, St Kilda of course or any of the coastal towns. Public transport & close vicinity to shops/malls doesnt seem too bad in general. The city is easily accesible as well. Frankston can be a bit rough, and other places can be very expensive, but you are better looking in the flesh on your reccie.

Temperatures: Melbrne is probably the most extreme of the 3 cities. Can get very cold (as low as -4 here in the hills, and close to zero in the city in winter) and summer can hit 40+ quite easily, but be 25 degrees the same afternoon or even 17-18 degrees the next day. Doesnt rain much at all (had 10 years of drought) but when it does, its not uncommon for areas in the city to flood.

Very multi cultural in the city, but moving further out it becomes very country, and a real community spirit like you might find in America.

Melbourne is also definitely the sport capital of Australia. Footy, Soccer, F1 GP, Moto GP, Aussie Open to name just a few events. Lots to see, and verafordable at the ame time,

hope that gives you something to start with.

If you guys are coming over in 4 weeks time, you might want to organize accomodation before its too late, and your choice gets a bit limited.

As Trev says, $800/$1000p.w for fully furnished is about normal, but you might be able to find a bit cheaper if you use motels etc, but you will probably still be about $650/700 a week out of pocket.

Paul.

Hello all

I am looking at rental properties within the surrounding areas of Perth, Melbourne or even Sydney.

I have looked at real estate agents websites, But i am not sure on the average rental cost as some advertised per week or they do not state whether they are monthly or weekly?

Please can anyone help on the average rent for a house or apartment.

Also i am looking places where my partner and i might like to live, but I'm finding it difficult to find out the information on places. Any websites, people recommend?

So far i like Joondalup, Perth or Mordialloc, Melbourne.

Again your advice would be wonderful

Thanks

try this website Australia migration - suburb profiles, accommodation, schools, real estate, jobs in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Darwin and Hobart ...it covers perth suburbs with median house prices and details about each area

mrs keily

Guest Deboroo2

Thank you for the advice. We have travelled to OZ before so we sort of know what to expect. But it's our first reccie and I do agree time is not on our hands. However, we will be going to the F1gp!

Does anyone recommend places in NSW? We like the look of Forster and Gosford