Guest guest36187

Hi everyone, we are selling our house and will have to put our furniture etc in store awaiting our 143 visa which could be some time, I have been told by one shipping company that they would have to take it into store and then load into containers when we get visa (so twice the chance of damage or loss) does anyone have experience of this any recommendations or advice gratefully received. I know it would be easier not to take so much but we have many things we would like to keep and sofas that are less than three years old and it would cost a fortune to replace in Oz.

My daughter has been trying without success to phone Centrelink to ask why they sent her another application form for AoS when she already submitted one with all the documents, which they photocopied and logged onto computer. She can't remember whether or not the Officer witnessed her signature on the form, so it may be that they missed this and so they want her to do another one; however, they offered no explanation, so we just don't know. She can't go back in there until Friday unfortunately because of working. So, just a tip for everyone who reaches this stage - you need to watch very carefully to make sure Centrelink do what they are supposed to do. I know that somebody else had this exact same problem but I can't remember who it was - Julie maybe?

Hi everyone, we are selling our house and will have to put our furniture etc in store awaiting our 143 visa which could be some time, I have been told by one shipping company that they would have to take it into store and then load into containers when we get visa (so twice the chance of damage or loss) does anyone have experience of this any recommendations or advice gratefully received. I know it would be easier not to take so much but we have many things we would like to keep and sofas that are less than three years old and it would cost a fortune to replace in Oz.

im sure there is another thread re shipping. I was going to take furniture etc but costs so much! You don't know if it will fit or suit new property so I would definitely whittle out down to the bare bones! Have heard people say they wished they hadn't taken stuff, white goods not bad price over their etc. Hope to sell some stuff to the buyers of my house when the time comes.

im sure there is another thread re shipping. I was going to take furniture etc but costs so much! You don't know if it will fit or suit new property so I would definitely whittle out down to the bare bones! Have heard people say they wished they hadn't taken stuff, white goods not bad price over their etc. Hope to sell some stuff to the buyers of my house when the time comes.

i'm only taking what will fit into a Movecube. Selling some stuff to buyers of house, some via ebay and to neighbours, anything leftovers will go on Freecycle or to BHF, and any dregs to the tip. My daughter took quitea lot of stuff but then had to wait a couple of months for it to arrive, so she had to buy anyway in the meantime. You can of course buy secondhand make-do stuff though.

My daughter has been trying without success to phone Centrelink to ask why they sent her another application form for AoS when she already submitted one with all the documents, which they photocopied and logged onto computer. She can't remember whether or not the Officer witnessed her signature on the form, so it may be that they missed this and so they want her to do another one; however, they offered no explanation, so we just don't know. She can't go back in there until Friday unfortunately because of working. So, just a tip for everyone who reaches this stage - you need to watch very carefully to make sure Centrelink do what they are supposed to do. I know that somebody else had this exact same problem but I can't remember who it was - Julie maybe?

That's all you need on top of everything else, thank you for the tip I will make a note to remind our daughter when our time comes,

good luck and I hope things start moving for you. Sue

i'm only taking what will fit into a Movecube. Selling some stuff to buyers of house, some via ebay and to neighbours, anything leftovers will go on Freecycle or to BHF, and any dregs to the tip. My daughter took quitea lot of stuff but then had to wait a couple of months for it to arrive, so she had to buy anyway in the meantime. You can of course buy secondhand make-do stuff though.

very wise you are doing the right thing!

very wise you are doing the right thing!

I hope so! But having seen my daughter's experiences with her move, I thought I would just take the bare minimum - no white goods, no beds or furniture, just a few side tables etc that I especially like, crockery, cutlery, and the usual paraphernalia that you can't do without, plus all the personal items you gather over the years. And I've already sold £3,500 worth of clutter on ebay.

I hope so! But having seen my daughter's experiences with her move, I thought I would just take the bare minimum - no white goods, no beds or furniture, just a few side tables etc that I especially like, crockery, cutlery, and the usual paraphernalia that you can't do without, plus all the personal items you gather over the years. And I've already sold £3,500 worth of clutter on ebay.

have heard many stories of regret taking lots of things over, wasting more money etc

Wow that's a good amount towards new stuff. Sling out the old ! New life! new stuff!

Am waiting with baited breath for you !! :ssign7:

When we we sold our house we left all the furniture for the buyers (it was all quite old and dated). We hired a 75 sq ft unit in a storage company and have loaded it up with boxes, 60+ at the last count! We rented a furnished one bed apartment and just took minimum requirements needed , which will be disposed of when we finally get visas. We have checked out furniture shops out there and they have homemaker centres all over which encompasses all types , furniture,beds , white gooods. So as others have said , will be buying new for a new house ?

Gill & Geoff

Well, Ive seen all these replies saying take the bare minimum, but actually my son and daughter who moved out there have advised otherwise and said "take as much as you can!". The former regretted taking the minimum because he couldn't believe how much it took to replace everything ( and that was when the exchange rates were really good!). He advised his sister to take as much as they could, which they did and they don't regret it at all. They found the costs of shipping were surprisingly relatively low and that ultimately taking extra things didnt cost a lot extra. Im planning to take the same line when I move. For me though the extra pull for taking more rather than less is that many things I have also holds lots of memories which I don't simply want to leave behind. Furniture was bought because we looked around and purchased what we liked at a good price, along with the memories it has much more than simple monetary value. I hate shopping, so the thought of having to go and buy everything new again really traumatises me! Having my own things around me will help me to feel at home more quickly when the time comes and it will be my comfort zone. Then, when the time comes I can replace things, if I really wish to, little by little. With current exchange rates I wont be changing things very quickly, even if I wanted to!

I am planning to have an appartment (OK, granny flat, but appartment sounds better!) on the ground floor of my daughter's home. I know the sizes and have found a wonderful ap (5D planning) which lets me put my items of furniture into the space and see how they will fit and how they will look in 3D. Ok, this won't work for those panning to purchase from new but if you have an idea what you will be looking for and put in the dimensions, then it will give you an idea.

Anyway, each to their own, and I can appreciate that a lot of people will want to literally start from scratch,but it doesn't suit me and I'm sure that there are others out there who will feel likewise.

Well, Ive seen all these replies saying take the bare minimum, but actually my son and daughter who moved out there have advised otherwise and said "take as much as you can!". The former regretted taking the minimum because he couldn't believe how much it took to replace everything ( and that was when the exchange rates were really good!). He advised his sister to take as much as they could, which they did and they don't regret it at all. They found the costs of shipping were surprisingly relatively low and that ultimately taking extra things didnt cost a lot extra. Im planning to take the same line when I move. For me though the extra pull for taking more rather than less is that many things I have also holds lots of memories which I don't simply want to leave behind. Furniture was bought because we looked around and purchased what we liked at a good price, along with the memories it has much more than simple monetary value. I hate shopping, so the thought of having to go and buy everything new again really traumatises me! Having my own things around me will help me to feel at home more quickly when the time comes and it will be my comfort zone. Then, when the time comes I can replace things, if I really wish to, little by little. With current exchange rates I wont be changing things very quickly, even if I wanted to!

I am planning to have an appartment (OK, granny flat, but appartment sounds better!) on the ground floor of my daughter's home. I know the sizes and have found a wonderful ap (5D planning) which lets me put my items of furniture into the space and see how they will fit and how they will look in 3D. Ok, this won't work for those panning to purchase from new but if you have an idea what you will be looking for and put in the dimensions, then it will give you an idea.

Anyway, each to their own, and I can appreciate that a lot of people will want to literally start from scratch,but it doesn't suit me and I'm sure that there are others out there who will feel likewise.

It's all down to personal choice. But for everyone planning to take everything with them, just remember that you will have to wait a while for your container to arrive and will need to source stuff to make do while you wait. My daughter was relatively lucky as she had friends who could lend her some things, but she still ended up having to buy a lot, and from memory I believe she waited around 2 months for her container. By that time, she had of course had to buy beds (they slept on the floor for the first week) , TV, fridge, washing machine, plus all the everyday things such as cooking utensils and so on. That's why she said with hindsight she wouldn't have taken her household goods. But everybody's circs are different.

Hi, yes I agree that some favourite well chosen pieces of furniture etc., will help make it feel like home and we have already disposed of a lot when we downsized so what we have now has been carefully selected to suit the modern homes in Australia too. I have looked at prices over there for large good quality beds and I was shocked particularly with the exchange rate so we have replaced one of ours in the sales here. We may well have to buy a temporary one in Oz but I know people who will be happy to take it off our hands afterwards! A shipper even advised us to take good german brands of washing machine and dryer as he said they would be better made and last longer and much cheaper here. So I guess it depends on the individual some will like a clean start and for those who are going to be working full time in well paid jobs I can understand that as they are getting A$ income. You are lucky to know you are going into an apartment at your daughters home and can plan accordingly. We will live with our daughter & son in law for a while and look for something to rent until we can buy or build but we have looked at properties over there and are confident our furniture will work, we are not taking any wardrobes. The only downside is we will have to store it for longer than initially planned as the queue moves at snails pace.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask a question about the long stay subclass 600 visa, if anyone could help I would be very grateful.

My other half read that you have to be sponsored and that a bond, determined by immigration has to paid, is that correct ?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Cheers,

Nita

Hi Catlady

Yep, similar problem, as we were walking out of the Centrelink Office I asked my daughter if the official had witnessed the form, no! We went back in and she did it. Several weeks later when Centrelink called to do their interview the official advised that our daughter had been incorrectly ID.d and could she go back to the Office and do this. She did, and Centrelink forgot to upload the info...........and so it goes on.......Our furniture is being delivered tomorrow and we are moving into our Unit. Transportation and storage has been the easy bit, hopefully nothing is damaged and if it is we have insurance with Letton Percival. I would not want to be starting over with buying all new house contents with the exchange rate as it is. We have just bought a fridge freezer and that was a right performance. I,m lookIng forward to being re acquainted with our stuff. Anyway everyone's circumstances are different and what is right for some might not be right for others.

Julie

Hi Catlady

Yep, similar problem, as we were walking out of the Centrelink Office I asked my daughter if the official had witnessed the form, no! We went back in and she did it. Several weeks later when Centrelink called to do their interview the official advised that our daughter had been incorrectly ID.d and could she go back to the Office and do this. She did, and Centrelink forgot to upload the info...........and so it goes on.......Our furniture is being delivered tomorrow and we are moving into our Unit. Transportation and storage has been the easy bit, hopefully nothing is damaged and if it is we have insurance with Letton Percival. I would not want to be starting over with buying all new house contents with the exchange rate as it is. We have just bought a fridge freezer and that was a right performance. I,m lookIng forward to being re acquainted with our stuff. Anyway everyone's circumstances are different and what is right for some might not be right for others.

Julie

I have submitted AOS this week and the officer also signed as witness in front of me. I hope that scanned copy of every documents will be uploaded!

Hi Catlady

Julie

Yes, Julie, now I remember the full story - what a nightmare it must have been for you. Finally it all worked out for you, thankfully. Glad you're settling in.

Hi. We applied 1st June 2016. Paid first Vac payment. Got receipt.

been on our Immi Acc this morning and it says "no application found"

please help!

I'm not completely certain about this - I think the 143 is a paper only application and so it can't be managed via an Immiaccount.

Guest bu5t3r2

Hi, I'm new here..

Hoping to get some info for my dad...

I'm looking at applying for a visa for my dad and in short have decided to go the 2 step path mainly due to the AoS (I will be able to arrange this in the next 2-4 years so that he can then apply to the 143 or 864 visa)

My dad is 66 yrs old so eligible for the 884...

And he currently has a multiple entry 3 years tourist visa that is still valid for approx another 2.5 years...

Now my first question is, does he HAS TO apply for the 884 ?

Or can he actually apply for the 173 ?

Considering he has a valid tourist visa that will probably still be valid by the time his 173/884 is approved then having a bridging visa wont really make any difference..

My understanding is that bridging visa will only come to effect after his current visa expired, right ?

173 has a lower cost, so is there anything else I'm missing here ?

Thanksss