Guest guest36187

Hi MikenSueNW3

Read your post with interest - we are similar in visits/anniversaries/lived NW4.

We planned to emigrate once I retired Dec 06, we applied for a 143 through Go Matilda

(Alan/Lorraine) in May07, visa grant Feb09 and finally arrived Jul09. Both children in Lilyfield

and we bought in Liechhard Sep09. Happy to pass on experiences

Graham and Anne

Hi Graham and Anne

You have no shortage of local delis, then!

Our unit – brand-new build, to comply with FIRB rules for non-resident property-buyers – is in Cremorne, very near the wonderful Orpheum Picture Palace, and we have lots of friends in the Mosman – Cremorne – Neutral Bay area, plus some farther up the North Shore. Our family rents on New South Head Road, Double Bay, just a couple of hundred metres from the Woollahra Library, where we used to go with daughter Emma when she was age 10 in the mid-80s! But now, having built up a solid group of good friends in the area, they can't afford to buy there. Ho Hum.

So most of our connections are with the Lower North Shore and Eastern Suburbs, and as a result we know the inside of the Harbour Tunnel only too well!

Hope you are settling well in Leichhardt.

All the best, Mike

Hi Lindsay (and audiopop)

Thankyou so much for clearing that up for me. Yes is was the RRV I was concerned about I had it in my head that we would need RRV (even if we were granted the 143) just to come back to see my son, :eek: obviously I see now thats not the case.

This forum has been fantastic so far, my daughter recommended it very highly as she used it when they emigrated in August 2007, hence the reason I'm here now :biggrin:

PhoebeW

Hi again PhoebeW

I am not quite sure what you mean by 'attachments'? However, are you referring to the 'Resident Return Visa'? When you are granted your CPV143, you are given a date by which you have to validate your visa. This is usually a year from the date of the police checks or medicals, whichever is earliest.

Once you have validated you get five years (from the date of the grant letter, I think - I am sure someone will correct me if not) to come and go as you please. You need to settle permanently in Oz before the five years are up to avoid the complications I think you are talking about.

Assuming that you went over to Oz immediately, after 4 years you could then apply to become Australian citizens. and would be able to come and go as you please on your OZ passport.

However, if you came and went frequently before the five years are up it becomes a bit more complicated. As already explained, the CPV gives you freedom to come and go for five years. After the five years, unless you have become a citizen, if you want to leave the country for any reason, in order to be allowed back in again, you would need to apply for a Resident Return Visa - not in itself complicated. BUT, in order to be granted the Resident Return Visa, you need to have spent at least TWO of the five years in Australia, obviously because Oz want to know that you are committed to settling there. This means, that in order to avoid complications, it is really advisable to move to settle permanently in Oz within THREE years of the CPV being granted. I hope this makes sense!

You can find more details here:

Category:Australia : British Expat Wiki

With regard to the two years, I am not sure if this would need to be a continuous period, probably not, so it may not be affected by holidays and such. I do know that when you apply for citizenship, which my daughter has done, they simply deduct any periods of time spent outside Oz, for holidays etc.

I aree, this pensions lark is a nightmare. I have seen lots of threads for younger people re pensions and transferring to Oz and it seems fairly straightforward in that your employer can get involved in the transfer, but maybe we could start a new thread for us oldies, some of whom will probably not be working. We could share any information, recommendations etc. I know everyone's case is different but there must be some general tips and info we could share. Incidentally we ae also headed to Perth.

I have to agree that it would be good to have pensions thread for us oldies. We will be retired by the time we go though we are already drawing various pensions anyway. I have no idea how we should go about having our pensions paid to us in Oz or ensuring that they are paid gross. Aside from the fact that our UK state pensions are frozen the moment we leave these shores I know nothing about the rest. We will have to do something about getting further information soon but at the moment it's enough that we have to cope with selling the house and moving our goods and chattels.

For those contemplating paying at the High Commission in London; from now (1 July Canberra time) until 31 December 2010 you'll get a rate of $1.5760 = £1.

That should put paid to that payment method for the forseeable future.

Best wishes

Steve

For those contemplating paying at the High Commission in London; from now (1 July Canberra time) until 31 December 2010 you'll get a rate of $1.5760 = £1.

That should put paid to that payment method for the foreseeable future.

Best wishes

Steve

That should put pay to immigration to Oz, but I guess we will think it's worth it. :twitcy:

Hi Gill,

Sorry, I have just found your thread, but don't panic. WE ARE NOT PULLING OUT!!! Definately not. Just panic regularly, but hey, as you have said, our boys are there and tell us it will be okay. We are ready to make a lot of compromises to be with them, and they assure us we won't starve !!!

its always the unknown and leaving a safe job etc. it is scary that at our age, it wont work, but your Mum is brilliant, wish we were going to Perth as a lot of PIO's are going in that direction. But there will be lots of people in Mornington of our age and position so will get out there and find them. i would love to get a job, so maybe I can do what Mum does !! Thanks for your brilliant support as usual

regards

Sandy

Hi Gill,

Sorry, I have just found your thread, but don't panic. WE ARE NOT PULLING OUT!!! Definately not. Just panic regularly, but hey, as you have said, our boys are there and tell us it will be okay. We are ready to make a lot of compromises to be with them, and they assure us we won't starve !!!

its always the unknown and leaving a safe job etc. it is scary that at our age, it wont work, but your Mum is brilliant, wish we were going to Perth as a lot of PIO's are going in that direction. But there will be lots of people in Mornington of our age and position so will get out there and find them. i would love to get a job, so maybe I can do what Mum does !! Thanks for your brilliant support as usual

regards

Sandy

Hi Sandy

It certainly give us all hope dosent it. When we have been on the Gold Coast we have seen a lot of 'older' people working. A lovely couple around age 70 had a little 'tinnie' rental business(small fishing boats to you and I ) might as well start learning the lingo:laugh: hubby and a couple of friends hired one $50 for 2 hours so if they enjoy it and it helps them out.........good on them I say :biggrin:

Lets face it if 60 is the new 40 then 70 is the new 50 right....:jiggy:

Phoebe

Wow, that is quick, i thought if you applied on shore you had to stay until the visa is granted. Did you have an agent in OZ? I did consider doing it from OZ but worried about using my savings to support myself thinking it would take 12-18mths as you would not be allowed to work. I would be grateful to hear how you went through the process in OZ.

So pleased for you, it won't be long before you will be joining your family........ lovely!

But there will be lots of people in Mornington of our age and position so will get out there and find them.

regards

Sandy

Hi Sandy, Not sure when you hope to arrive but you are always welcome to look us up.

We are at Sandhurst, which I guess is on the start of the Mornington proper.

Good Luck!

Guest gramanne

Hi Pam

Good to hear from you.

We had to make sure our daughter was coming out before emigrating ourselves - we could

not have left her behind.

It seemed we looked all over inner west for a place to live before finding this, we still get flyers

from estate agents claiming to have cash buyers were we to consider selling ..... (just like UK).

Weather wise I think it could take a while, when we registered with doctor he said you grandparents had better watch out for summer, they all end up in hospital with heat stroke!

Luckily, being here from Jul we coped quite well with rise in temp/humidity until the red dust,

the 40 plus and much the same at night sometimes. W

Guest gramanne

Hi again Pam

Got cut off in reply

.... We can only suggest take it easy during daytime, pace yourself and drink loads of water

all the time. Keep topped up with sunbloc if you need to be out and don't forget that hat.

Keep the blinds etc shut during day at home - does make a difference. Our house is sometimes

too warm in summer but now during winter its so chilly we need to rug up and

put some heat on.

I suppose from July onwards we'll feel that little more acclimatised ..

Enjoy your trip - looks like warming up next weekend

gramanne

Guest gramanne

Hi Mike

Thankyou, lets hope your move goes as smoothly as our seemed to.

Also have friends in Mosman etc but usually travel by ferry so have never

actually been through the harbour tunnel.

regards

gramanne

Hi Maisies, i am a newbie on here but was really interested on your post about applying onshore in OZ, does it depend on which state you are going to as to how quick the process might be? I was going to apply onshore but as i was told like you the wait was 12-18mths i was put off by the fact i would have to support myself as i wouldn't be able to work. I would be interested how you went through the application while there, did you use an agent at all to assist you with the paperwork? Good luck with the next stage, won't be long until you will be with your family. Ann

Thanks for your replies Gramanne and Mike.

Seems really strange skyping my daughter last night, for her to be shivering in front of a fan heater, when last time we were there we were baked in the middle of the night!

Again thanks for your replies, maybe I will swim by you without knowing at Leichard or drive by you in the very well used tunnel.................

Hi Audiopop,

That sounds great, we are just at the CO stage anytime now and hoping to make the jump in about 18 months if exchange rate allows. We are coming over in Jan/Feb hopefully to validate. We know where Sandhurst is, nice area, so hopefully we will meet up

regards

Sandy

Hi Maisies, i am a newbie on here but was really interested on your post about applying onshore in OZ, does it depend on which state you are going to as to how quick the process might be? I was going to apply onshore but as i was told like you the wait was 12-18mths i was put off by the fact i would have to support myself as i wouldn't be able to work. I would be interested how you went through the application while there, did you use an agent at all to assist you with the paperwork? Good luck with the next stage, won't be long until you will be with your family. Ann

Hi Ann, Yes we did use an agent, I think you really need one to see you quickly through all the stages. We applied in Perth. I think our situation was a bit unique in that we had been coming to Perth at least once a year for the last 10years or so, since our son married an ozzie girl and emigrated. Then about 5 years ago we were in a position to (in our sons name as wasn't allowed to buy in our names) buy a small place here. Although we thought it would take 12-18 months for the visa to be granted as my husband is retired supporting ourselves wasn't a problem. We lodged our application on 2nd February had medicals etc went back to the UK end April. Our agent let us know that she has been informed visa would be granted in June. Arrived back in Oz 2nd June, paid the finally payment on the 3rd visa was granted on the 4th. Our house in the UK is still not sold so my husband will be going back to the UK soon to sort our furniture out. Hope this helps. Be pleased to answer any other questions you have. Maisies

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

regards

Sandy

Hi Sandy

I know that it sounds harsh to say it, but my feeling is that your sons are right, hun.

Something that might suit you is 'respectable child minding' during the day? When my sister's first child was a baby, he went to a child minder every day till he was 3 because Elaine was working full time for the AWTA and she did not give that up till shortly before her second son was born.

We had no idea that he might have been mistreated by the child minder. We only know tiny bits and pieces, I suspect. We did learn that if this woman considered a child to be naughty, she pushed the child into the cupboard under the stairs, locked the door and the child was left in the dark.

When Peter was about 5, he developed a stutter. He was frightened of the dark for years if he was alone in the dark. He wet the bed intermittently till he was 12. He is now 15 and he developed asthma about a year ago - which does not run in either family.

I suspect that bad things might have happened to him when he was too small to speak up and too small to tell his Mum. Maybe he was threatened with the idea of bad things if he told his Mum, but who knows?

The child-minders on here (the Chlld Care Co-ordinators with degrees in the subject etc, plus they are mothers themselves, which I'm not) were horrified when I told them the little that I know. Their reaction was far more protective of the child and extreme than I had expected. I merely asked them whether part-time trauma in childhood can produce such effects later, when the child seemed perfectly happy when he was very young?

They said that it is completely wrong to frighten a young child, no matter what he might have done - which I can readily understand. But because it also never happened to me, I find it very difficult to imagine the effects - why does it cause apparently un-related symptoms, if you see what I mean. It is impossible to understand the subject when I know nothing about it, I think.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Phoebe,

Definately, somedays I feel 18 again, then again some days it is 90 !! Is it my computer, but I am having trouble replying with quote and also putting a thanks up. Is anyone else having the same trouble ?

Sandy

Nope me either..... :laugh:

Phoebe

Hi Sandy

Something that might suit you is 'respectable child minding' during the day?

The child-minders on here (the Chlld Care Co-ordinators with degrees in the subject etc, plus they are mothers themselves, which I'm not) were horrified when I told them the little that I know.

Cheers

Gill

Given the hoops that Child-minders have to jump through in the UK, I imagine that being a Child-minder in Oz would even more difficult without a lot of work, tests and background checks:policeman:.

Happy to be corrected if that's not the case Gill.

Hi Sandy

I know that it sounds harsh to say it, but my feeling is that your sons are right, hun.

Something that might suit you is 'respectable child minding' during the day? When my sister's first child was a baby, he went to a child minder every day till he was 3 because Elaine was working full time for the AWTA and she did not give that up till shortly before her second son was born.

We had no idea that he might have been mistreated by the child minder. We only know tiny bits and pieces, I suspect. We did learn that if this woman considered a child to be naughty, she pushed the child into the cupboard under the stairs, locked the door and the child was left in the dark.

When Peter was about 5, he developed a stutter. He was frightened of the dark for years if he was alone in the dark. He wet the bed intermittently till he was 12. He is now 15 and he developed asthma about a year ago - which does not run in either family.

I suspect that bad things might have happened to him when he was too small to speak up and too small to tell his Mum. Maybe he was threatened with the idea of bad things if he told his Mum, but who knows?

The child-minders on here (the Chlld Care Co-ordinators with degrees in the subject etc, plus they are mothers themselves, which I'm not) were horrified when I told them the little that I know. Their reaction was far more protective of the child and extreme than I had expected. I merely asked them whether part-time trauma in childhood can produce such effects later, when the child seemed perfectly happy when he was very young?

They said that it is completely wrong to frighten a young child, no matter what he might have done - which I can readily understand. But because it also never happened to me, I find it very difficult to imagine the effects - why does it cause apparently un-related symptoms, if you see what I mean. It is impossible to understand the subject when I know nothing about it, I think.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

My computer seems to have sorted itself out !! Anyway thanks for the idea of childminding, but I wouldn't be able to run after a little one in a wheelchair if she started running away. Obviously a tiny baby would be fine, but not once they started walking and running. But there are other things I could certainly look at. Thanks for advice :unsure:

Thank you so much for the reply and for being so informative, i have made many trips to Perth over the years although my son won't be permanent until the end of the year so i have to prove that my son is settled over there, which entails, being employed, paying tax, owning a house or have long term rent, owning car etc..... he owns his house, has his own thriving business and meets all other criteria, so fingers crossed. I have emailed my agent and asked for her advice so will see what she advises. Thanks so much for the reply and i wish you both and your family all the very best. Hope the house gets sold soon for you. Ann:smile:

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

My computer seems to have sorted itself out !! Anyway thanks for the idea of childminding, but I wouldn't be able to run after a little one in a wheelchair if she started running away. Obviously a tiny baby would be fine, but not once they started walking and running. But there are other things I could certainly look at. Thanks for advice :unsure:

Hi Sandy

And if you and Colin did it together? Or you and one of your daughters in law did it together?

I'm NOT trying to push you into anything. I'm merely trying to ask you what might be possible and sensible. If an idea is not a good one, we can ditch it and think of something else.

I think you are capable of earning much more than my mother is capable of earning. Mum likes folding leaflets because it is mindless enough work that it leaves her mind free to worrit about the family, if you see what I mean? Which is precisely why it also pays peanuts as well.....

I'm also not convinced that you would not brood and worry unless your mind is busy as well as your hands, if you see what I mean?

Cheers

Gill