Guest guest36187

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi

Just a quickie! My in-laws are 68 and 72. Would the Aged Parent (Residence) visa (subclass 804) be the way to go for them as opposed to the CPV? Its a hell of a lot cheaper. My wife is an only child.

JOHN

Hi John

Absolutely NOT in my opinion at the moment. Please see this thread:

Cheap Parent Visas Part I - Page 3 - Poms In Adelaide

I suggest that you send an e-mail to parents@immi.gov.au An e-mail I had from them on Saturday confirms that the Minister has just halved the quota, so Aged Parent 804 applicants have been reduced to 300 per year. I think that around 5,500 Aged Parent applicants are patiently waiting - for something that is now likely to take over 20 years if the Minister or his successors don't chop the Aged Parents off at the knees first.

Please PM me if you want to know more. From 1st July 2010, the figure might well increase to about $100,000 AUD for CPV couples, I suspect.

I am thanking my lucky stars that my own mother got her CPV when she did, frankly. She sat in the UK with me, dithering and wittering. I told her to shut up, sign the forms and get on with it. Very brutal, I know, but it got the job done and got it done quickly, thank goodness.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Anya
I think that around 5,500 Aged Parent applicants are patiently waiting - for something that is now likely to take over 20 years

Gill

My in-laws would be batting past a century by then, so no point even thinking about it then ...lol

My in-laws are both aged (dad-in-law is 80, mum-in-law 70) and suffer from several ailments. They receive excellent medical care in India for which they have to pay nothing (my b-i-l is in the armed forces), so even if they do get a CPV visa, not sure they'd like to move here. Their medical bills would be enormous/crushing given that they will get neither medicare nor any health insurance..

Guest FruitBat

Hi have just called a few solicitors about certifying docs. I then rang the local Magistrates Court who said someone there could do it and would not charge. This sounds a bit suspicious to me so just thought I would check if others had gone that route, and what should I check for when I go?

Thanks

FB

Guest FruitBat

Thanks Joanne, will go down in the morning and see. Will let you all know how I get on because once that's done its book the courier!!!!!x

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi have just called a few solicitors about certifying docs. I then rang the local Magistrates Court who said someone there could do it and would not charge. This sounds a bit suspicious to me so just thought I would check if others had gone that route, and what should I check for when I go?

Thanks

FB

Hi FB

The legal situation in E&W is that anyone who is an Officer of the Court can certify documents. Therefore solicitors and barristers can do it but so can Clerks to the Magistrates and suchlike.

In practice, anybody working for the Court can certify copies because they will put the Court's stamp on the thing and nobody will look further than the stamp, frankly.

Almost every solicitor is willing to deal with certifying documents. The problem is only that the dragons working in Reception say "no" because they don't understand what it is about so they insist that the firm "doesn't do it." The solicitors would do it like a shot - for the beer money and because it is an excellent way of attracting new clients.

If you do not manage to sort it out, please send me a PM and tell me where you live. All that someone in your local law firm needs is some arm twisting. I'm good at that....!

Cheers

Gill

Guest FruitBat

Thank you!! All done! I opted to be safe rather than sorry and contacted a local solicitor who did the job within the hour for the bargain price of £5 for the first doc and £2 each fore the others. £23 for 10! Did a couple of extra things just in case as well as one for my sponsor!!

All done! Booking courier. Feeling very positive!

Can I just say a BIG thank you to Gollywobbler/Gill for all the support and encouragement over the past few weeks. What was initially quite a daunting take was changed into manageable bite-sized chunks! Very, very much appreciated!

FB

Well i fell utterly dispondent now after reading some of the posts on this thread! This thread has some very useful information albeit some that i'd rather not be true! We'v recently been granted our 175 visa and had hoped for my parents to eventually join us but this is looking less and less likely. There is no way they can afford the fee for the CPV especially if the fee is hiked up in July and now it looks like it will take about 20 years for a non CPV to be granted!!!

Its just so unfair. I desperately want my parents with me and my family but just can't see any way round it:cry:

Guest Gollywobbler
Well i fell utterly dispondent now after reading some of the posts on this thread! This thread has some very useful information albeit some that i'd rather not be true! We'v recently been granted our 175 visa and had hoped for my parents to eventually join us but this is looking less and less likely. There is no way they can afford the fee for the CPV especially if the fee is hiked up in July and now it looks like it will take about 20 years for a non CPV to be granted!!!

Its just so unfair. I desperately want my parents with me and my family but just can't see any way round it:cry:

Hi Laura

I've moaned about this on the National Interest radio programme feedback. I had an e-mail from Peter Mares this morning, saying that he wanted to ask Mark Webster about non-contributory Parents and Aged Parents on the programme but that there wasn't time.

The weird thing is that Minister Evans was the bloke who doubled the quotas for the 2 non-contributory Parent groups, so why on earth has he suddenly halved them again?

Your Parents would not be able to apply until you have become "settled" in Australia in any case and by then, the whole thing might have altered again.

The other thing to bear in mind is that my mother was rejected for a Parent visa in 1993. She eventually succeeded getting a CPV instead in 2006. Never, ever give up hope, hun. We had been told "No" so often that when I decided to take one, last look at the situation for Mum in 2005, I really didn't expect to find that anything had changed so I didn't expect that she had become eligible. But lo and behold. The law had been changed and Mum was clear to go ahead and apply again.

So PLEASE, do NOT abandon hope because things can and do change. My family are the living proof of that.

Hugs :hug:

Gill

Thanks for your kind words Gill. I do try to stay positive but sometimes its hard especially when they change the goal posts so often!

I'll just have to hope that in a couple of years time things have changed for the better for us (either that or we win the lottery!!!!)

Thanks again :wubclub: x

Hi Gollywobbler

Do you mean $100,00 per couple for everything, including the Assurance of Support? Or do you think they might increase the Assurance of Support as well and you mean that the second VAC will be $50,000 per person? We are wondering if there is anything to be gained by switching now so that we could then fix the second VAC. However, not much point if we then have to pay a much increased Assurance of Support. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gollywobbler

Do you mean $100,00 per couple for everything, including the Assurance of Support? Or do you think they might increase the Assurance of Support as well and you mean that the second VAC will be $50,000 per person? We are wondering if there is anything to be gained by switching now so that we could then fix the second VAC. However, not much point if we then have to pay a much increased Assurance of Support. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Hi Linday

I've made nothing more than a very rough assumption about the likely future costs of the CPV scheme and my figure of $100,000 or so for a couple includes all possible costs. Even if my figures are slightly too high, they are not that far out and an over-estimation prevents somebody from doing their sums too minutely and ending up with a nasty fright.

My figure assumes and includes a cost of $10K for a single person or $14K for a couple for the Bond which is associated with the Assurance of Support.

Centrelink work out how much the Bond ought to be. It is based on the idea that during the 10 year period of the AoS, x% of CPV holders will claim Benefits from Centrelink. The AGA's Report in late 2008, which was published sometime during 2009, assumes that very few CPV holders will actually claim any recoverable Benefits such as Special Benefit.

http://www.aga.gov.au/publications/comm_expenditure/downloads/Report_CPVCI_Final.pdf

I think the AGA's assumptions are likely to be accurate so (according to me) there shouldn't be any reason to increase the amount of the CPV Bond any time soon. But hey! I didn't even bother to take a Maths O level because I am so hopeless at anything to do with numbers, so an Actuary, I'm definitely not!

I can do basic sums, though!

Year 2nd Instalment in AUD$

2003/4 25,000

2004/5 26,475

2005/6 27,850

2006/7 29,330

2007/8 31,555

2008/9 32,725

2009/10 34,330

The figures above are the actual 2nd Instalment charges for CPVs, which were new visas on 1st July 2003. How much the 2nd Instalment for a CPV would be in your own case depends on exactly when you applied for your Parent sc 103 visas.

Does this help, at all?

Cheers

Gill

Yes, thanks Gollywobbler

We were considering switching to the CPV next year after putting our house on the market to raise the necessary funds. However, we were concerned that a considerable increase in the second visa application charge in July might make this out of our reach.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi FB

The increase in fees for CPVs has now been announced.

For the CPV 143, the increase is $30 for the 1st Instalment, which we could all live with. That will go from $1,705 to $1,735 for a couple from 1st July 2010.

However the 2nd Instalment will rise to $37,965 per parent, up from its present $34,330 per parent. Excel says that that is an increase of $3,635 per parent or $7,270 for a couple.

Please make sure that your courier can find his way to the correct address in Perth and don't forget to offer the money for the 1st Instalment with the application, please.

The CPV figures really are getting scary. Mum applied for her CPV 143 in November 2005, so her 2nd Instalment was $27,850. The latest increase amounts to a hike of just over $10,000 per parent over the last 4 years.

Minister Evans, dear. If you milk the cash cow too hard, the milk is likely to curdle, mate.....

Cheers

Gill

Guest FruitBat

Thanks for that Gill.

$7,270 per couple really IS a scary increase! Underlining your wise words for us to get cracking a few weeks ago! Our application is being collected in the morning. DHL doc service booked via Interparcel.

Checked. Checked! Double checked and then checked again!

I think I'll go have a lie down. (I'll get up to re-check I know! Have to seal in front of driver so the temptation will always be there....) :)

FB

Hi Linday

I've made nothing more than a very rough assumption about the likely future costs of the CPV scheme and my figure of $100,000 or so for a couple includes all possible costs. Even if my figures are slightly too high, they are not that far out and an over-estimation prevents somebody from doing their sums too minutely and ending up with a nasty fright.

My figure assumes and includes a cost of $10K for a single person or $14K for a couple for the Bond which is associated with the Assurance of Support.

Centrelink work out how much the Bond ought to be. It is based on the idea that during the 10 year period of the AoS, x% of CPV holders will claim Benefits from Centrelink. The AGA's Report in late 2008, which was published sometime during 2009, assumes that very few CPV holders will actually claim any recoverable Benefits such as Special Benefit.

http://www.aga.gov.au/publications/comm_expenditure/downloads/Report_CPVCI_Final.pdf

I think the AGA's assumptions are likely to be accurate so (according to me) there shouldn't be any reason to increase the amount of the CPV Bond any time soon. But hey! I didn't even bother to take a Maths O level because I am so hopeless at anything to do with numbers, so an Actuary, I'm definitely not!

I can do basic sums, though!

Year 2nd Instalment in AUD$

2003/4 25,000

2004/5 26,475

2005/6 27,850

2006/7 29,330

2007/8 31,555

2008/9 32,725

2009/10 34,330

The figures above are the actual 2nd Instalment charges for CPVs, which were new visas on 1st July 2003. How much the 2nd Instalment for a CPV would be in your own case depends on exactly when you applied for your Parent sc 103 visas.

Does this help, at all?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

Looks like your instincts were right then. So we have a decision to make. I have just been rereading this thread as when I posted before I had just returned from hospital after a small routine op and was still a bit under the influence I think!

Can I just please check something in your above post? You were saying that the second visa application charge would depend on when we applied for the Parent Visa 103, which we have done this year. So even if we switched to the 173 or 143 next year we would still only pay this year's second VAC charge? I always thought it would depend on when you applied for the 143 or 173?

Linda

Guest wennie

Hi Gill and All,

My mum and Dad applied for non-contributory subclass 103 back in 2005 and been allocated queue date Mar 2006. There are 5600+ ppl in front of us but with the new cap of 700, it may take us 7-8 years.

This government is disgraceful & they are definitely not getting my vote! but what can you do? we now have to cough out $$ to switch to 143 as parents are getting old, and we have waited enough.

In your previous post Gill, you mentioned the 2nd Vac instalment amount will depend on when you lodged 103. In our cases, we will subject to 2005/6 $27,850 each. I have tried to ring up the perth parent visa centre this morning, but the guy answered our phone knows nothing. His advice is to wait for the CO. ??! I have gone through Booklet 3 and couldnt find any thing on the 2nd instalment cost when you switch. Can you pls any reference e.g. immi website quote etc?

Many thanks!!

Wennie.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill and All,

My mum and Dad applied for non-contributory subclass 103 back in 2005 and been allocated queue date Mar 2006. There are 5600+ ppl in front of us but with the new cap of 700, it may take us 7-8 years.

This government is disgraceful & they are definitely not getting my vote! but what can you do? we now have to cough out $$ to switch to 143 as parents are getting old, and we have waited enough.

In your previous post Gill, you mentioned the 2nd Vac instalment amount will depend on when you lodged 103. In our cases, we will subject to 2005/6 $27,850 each. I have tried to ring up the perth parent visa centre this morning, but the guy answered our phone knows nothing. His advice is to wait for the CO. ??! I have gone through Booklet 3 and couldnt find any thing on the 2nd instalment cost when you switch. Can you pls any reference e.g. immi website quote etc?

Many thanks!!

Wennie.

Hi Wennie

The authority for the proposition is in DIAC's Policy documents, known as the PAMs. These are published on line but they are not available to you for free unless you go to your local State Library and ask one of the librarians to help you to access the PAMs via Legendcom.

The quick and easy way for you to get the confirmation that you seek is to send an e-mail to parents@immi.gov.au giving them your Parents existing file reference number, full names. dates of birth etc.

If the same twit who answered the phone answers your e-mail and claims that he still doesn't know which way is "up," please let me know. In that event I will give you the direct contact details for the Manager of the Parents Visa Centre, who definitely does know which way is "up." However an e-mail to the general parents@immi address for the PVC ought to produce an intelligent reply within 48 to 72 hours.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Khadine

I haven't been on here for a while, but i just wanted to let you how my parents are going with their Visa application as i have asked quite a few questions on here and you have all been so helpful.

I am an only child and have I've lived here with my australian husband for over 7 years now and i went through an immigration agent in Perth to migrate. We have used the same agent as we were so thrilled with their commitment and communication for my parents migration. We submitted the Contributory Parent subclass 143 visa application in on the 10 November 2008. We did not hear anything back until May of this year (19 months) when i had to give the Assurance of support - $14000 to the commonwealth bank in a term deposit (6.25% interest which is pretty good!). I had to be earning at least $38,000 in the last financial year to be able to qualify as the assurer. The interest which accumulates in the term deposit will be put in an account i opened for my parents when they can over in 2008, they will receive $460 every 6 months in their account which is better than nothing! At the same time mum and dad also had to have their medicals done in the UK, got their police clearances done, and had to give an update of moneys and assets that they currently have. Bear in mind mum and dad are both 65 and both with various aliments and conditions but still passed the medicals with flying colours.

It has been 2 weeks since Sydney received the medicals and the Assurance of support confirmation, our agent called me this morning to arrange for the 2nd payment to be made which is a total amount of $65,450 ($32,725 each). I have just emailed my payment through and will expect an answer within the next week or so. My agent is now arranging with the Australian embassy in London to issue the visa within the next month or so, so very exciting news and i will keep you updated.

Khadine:biggrin::jiggy::yes:

I haven't been on here for a while, but i just wanted to let you how my parents are going with their Visa application as i have asked quite a few questions on here and you have all been so helpful.

I am an only child and have I've lived here with my australian husband for over 7 years now and i went through an immigration agent in Perth to migrate. We have used the same agent as we were so thrilled with their commitment and communication for my parents migration. We submitted the Contributory Parent subclass 143 visa application in on the 10 November 2008. We did not hear anything back until May of this year (19 months) when i had to give the Assurance of support - $14000 to the commonwealth bank in a term deposit (6.25% interest which is pretty good!). I had to be earning at least $38,000 in the last financial year to be able to qualify as the assurer. The interest which accumulates in the term deposit will be put in an account i opened for my parents when they can over in 2008, they will receive $460 every 6 months in their account which is better than nothing! At the same time mum and dad also had to have their medicals done in the UK, got their police clearances done, and had to give an update of moneys and assets that they currently have. Bear in mind mum and dad are both 65 and both with various aliments and conditions but still passed the medicals with flying colours.

It has been 2 weeks since Sydney received the medicals and the Assurance of support confirmation, our agent called me this morning to arrange for the 2nd payment to be made which is a total amount of $65,450 ($32,725 each). I have just emailed my payment through and will expect an answer within the next week or so. My agent is now arranging with the Australian embassy in London to issue the visa within the next month or so, so very exciting news and i will keep you updated.

Khadine:biggrin::jiggy::yes:

Useful imformation Khadine, but your agent appears to be in no hurry, is that your wish too?

Why does the agent want/need to know an update on your parents money and assets?

We came out here on a CPV in November 2005. We are both in our fifties and did not have jobs pre arranged, despite two years of trying. By the time we take into account loss of earnings, removal fees, bond money, visa and other costs the whole experience has probably cost around 100KUKP.

I would say to anyone contemplating doing this not to underestimate the financial and emotional costs. It is a long and difficult journey. However, as of April we are finally Aussie citizens and my daughter has presented us with a wonderful little grandson, so we are feeling better about it lately.

Everyone is different, so it is hard to generalise, but many times during the journey we really regretted having started it. Of course, once you are 'in' and have spent a shed load of money, its much harder to back out.

The best bit of advice we had was from my best friend as we waited to get on the plane. He said 'look after and be kind to each other'. Wise words indeed.