Page 12 of 1233 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422621125121012 ... LastLast

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi Pam
      Good to hear from you.
      We had to make sure our daughter was coming out before emigrating ourselves - we could
      not have left her behind.
      It seemed we looked all over inner west for a place to live before finding this, we still get flyers
      from estate agents claiming to have cash buyers were we to consider selling ..... (just like UK).
      Weather wise I think it could take a while, when we registered with doctor he said you grandparents had better watch out for summer, they all end up in hospital with heat stroke!
      Luckily, being here from Jul we coped quite well with rise in temp/humidity until the red dust,
      the 40 plus and much the same at night sometimes. W

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi again Pam

Got cut off in reply

.... We can only suggest take it easy during daytime, pace yourself and drink loads of water
      all the time. Keep topped up with sunbloc if you need to be out and don't forget that hat.
      Keep the blinds etc shut during day at home - does make a difference. Our house is sometimes
      too warm in summer but now during winter its so chilly we need to rug up and
      put some heat on.
      I suppose from July onwards we'll feel that little more acclimatised ..
      Enjoy your trip - looks like warming up next weekend

gramanne

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi Mike

Thankyou, lets hope your move goes as smoothly as our seemed to.
      Also have friends in Mosman etc but usually travel by ferry so have never
      actually been through the harbour tunnel.

regards
      gramanne

Title
      Liked
      164 times
      Rep
      Hi Maisies, i am a newbie on here but was really interested on your post about applying onshore in OZ, does it depend on which state you are going to as to how quick the process might be? I was going to apply onshore but as i was told like you the wait was 12-18mths i was put off by the fact i would have to support myself as i wouldn't be able to work. I would be interested how you went through the application while there, did you use an agent at all to assist you with the paperwork? Good luck with the next stage, won't be long until you will be with your family. Ann

Title
      Liked
      302 times
      Rep
      Thanks for your replies Gramanne and Mike.

Seems really strange skyping my daughter last night, for her to be shivering in front of a fan heater, when last time we were there we were baked in the middle of the night!

Again thanks for your replies, maybe I will swim by you without knowing at Leichard or drive by you in the very well used tunnel.................

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Hi Audiopop,
      That sounds great, we are just at the CO stage anytime now and hoping to make the jump in about 18 months if exchange rate allows. We are coming over in Jan/Feb hopefully to validate. We know where Sandhurst is, nice area, so hopefully we will meet up
      regards
      Sandy

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Hi Phoebe,
      Definately, somedays I feel 18 again, then again some days it is 90 !! Is it my computer, but I am having trouble replying with quote and also putting a thanks up. Is anyone else having the same trouble ?
      Sandy

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      41 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by yomvard View Post
      Hi Phoebe,
      Definately, somedays I feel 18 again, then again some days it is 90 !! Is it my computer, but I am having trouble replying with quote and also putting a thanks up. Is anyone else having the same trouble ?
      Sandy
      No

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by liverpoolloo View Post
      Hi Maisies, i am a newbie on here but was really interested on your post about applying onshore in OZ, does it depend on which state you are going to as to how quick the process might be? I was going to apply onshore but as i was told like you the wait was 12-18mths i was put off by the fact i would have to support myself as i wouldn't be able to work. I would be interested how you went through the application while there, did you use an agent at all to assist you with the paperwork? Good luck with the next stage, won't be long until you will be with your family. Ann
      Hi Ann, Yes we did use an agent, I think you really need one to see you quickly through all the stages. We applied in Perth. I think our situation was a bit unique in that we had been coming to Perth at least once a year for the last 10years or so, since our son married an ozzie girl and emigrated. Then about 5 years ago we were in a position to (in our sons name as wasn't allowed to buy in our names) buy a small place here. Although we thought it would take 12-18 months for the visa to be granted as my husband is retired supporting ourselves wasn't a problem. We lodged our application on 2nd February had medicals etc went back to the UK end April. Our agent let us know that she has been informed visa would be granted in June. Arrived back in Oz 2nd June, paid the finally payment on the 3rd visa was granted on the 4th. Our house in the UK is still not sold so my husband will be going back to the UK soon to sort our furniture out. Hope this helps. Be pleased to answer any other questions you have. Maisies

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      4383 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by yomvard View Post
      Hi Gill,
      Sorry, I have just found your thread, but don't panic. WE ARE NOT PULLING OUT!!! Definately not. Just panic regularly, but hey, as you have said, our boys are there and tell us it will be okay. We are ready to make a lot of compromises to be with them, and they assure us we won't starve !!!
      its always the unknown and leaving a safe job etc. it is scary that at our age, it wont work, but your Mum is brilliant, wish we were going to Perth as a lot of PIO's are going in that direction. But there will be lots of people in Mornington of our age and position so will get out there and find them. i would love to get a job, so maybe I can do what Mum does !! Thanks for your brilliant support as usual
      regards
      Sandy
      Hi Sandy

I know that it sounds harsh to say it, but my feeling is that your sons are right, hun.

Something that might suit you is 'respectable child minding' during the day? When my sister's first child was a baby, he went to a child minder every day till he was 3 because Elaine was working full time for the AWTA and she did not give that up till shortly before her second son was born.

We had no idea that he might have been mistreated by the child minder. We only know tiny bits and pieces, I suspect. We did learn that if this woman considered a child to be naughty, she pushed the child into the cupboard under the stairs, locked the door and the child was left in the dark.

When Peter was about 5, he developed a stutter. He was frightened of the dark for years if he was alone in the dark. He wet the bed intermittently till he was 12. He is now 15 and he developed asthma about a year ago - which does not run in either family.

I suspect that bad things might have happened to him when he was too small to speak up and too small to tell his Mum. Maybe he was threatened with the idea of bad things if he told his Mum, but who knows?

The child-minders on here (the Chlld Care Co-ordinators with degrees in the subject etc, plus they are mothers themselves, which I'm not) were horrified when I told them the little that I know. Their reaction was far more protective of the child and extreme than I had expected. I merely asked them whether part-time trauma in childhood can produce such effects later, when the child seemed perfectly happy when he was very young?

They said that it is completely wrong to frighten a young child, no matter what he might have done - which I can readily understand. But because it also never happened to me, I find it very difficult to imagine the effects - why does it cause apparently un-related symptoms, if you see what I mean. It is impossible to understand the subject when I know nothing about it, I think.

Cheers

Gill

•