Page 11 of 1233 FirstFirst ... 91011121321611115111011 ... LastLast

Title
      Liked
      177 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by gramanne View Post
      Hi MikenSueNW3

Read your post with interest - we are similar in visits/anniversaries/lived NW4.
      We planned to emigrate once I retired Dec 06, we applied for a 143 through Go Matilda
      (Alan/Lorraine) in May07, visa grant Feb09 and finally arrived Jul09. Both children in Lilyfield
      and we bought in Liechhard Sep09. Happy to pass on experiences

Graham and Anne
      Hi Graham and Anne

You have no shortage of local delis, then!

Our unit – brand-new build, to comply with FIRB rules for non-resident property-buyers – is in Cremorne, very near the wonderful Orpheum Picture Palace, and we have lots of friends in the Mosman – Cremorne – Neutral Bay area, plus some farther up the North Shore. Our family rents on New South Head Road, Double Bay, just a couple of hundred metres from the Woollahra Library, where we used to go with daughter Emma when she was age 10 in the mid-80s! But now, having built up a solid group of good friends in the area, they can't afford to buy there. Ho Hum.

So most of our connections are with the Lower North Shore and Eastern Suburbs, and as a result we know the inside of the Harbour Tunnel only too well!

Hope you are settling well in Leichhardt.

All the best, Mike
      Last edited by MikenSueNW3; 30-06-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      238 times
      Rep
      Hi Lindsay (and audiopop)

Thankyou so much for clearing that up for me. Yes is was the RRV I was concerned about I had it in my head that we would need RRV (even if we were granted the 143) just to come back to see my son, obviously I see now thats not the case.

This forum has been fantastic so far, my daughter recommended it very highly as she used it when they emigrated in August 2007, hence the reason I'm here now

PhoebeW

Quote Originally Posted by Linday View Post
      Hi again PhoebeW

I am not quite sure what you mean by 'attachments'? However, are you referring to the 'Resident Return Visa'? When you are granted your CPV143, you are given a date by which you have to validate your visa. This is usually a year from the date of the police checks or medicals, whichever is earliest.

Once you have validated you get five years (from the date of the grant letter, I think - I am sure someone will correct me if not) to come and go as you please. You need to settle permanently in Oz before the five years are up to avoid the complications I think you are talking about.

Assuming that you went over to Oz immediately, after 4 years you could then apply to become Australian citizens. and would be able to come and go as you please on your OZ passport.

However, if you came and went frequently before the five years are up it becomes a bit more complicated. As already explained, the CPV gives you freedom to come and go for five years. After the five years, unless you have become a citizen, if you want to leave the country for any reason, in order to be allowed back in again, you would need to apply for a Resident Return Visa - not in itself complicated. BUT, in order to be granted the Resident Return Visa, you need to have spent at least TWO of the five years in Australia, obviously because Oz want to know that you are committed to settling there. This means, that in order to avoid complications, it is really advisable to move to settle permanently in Oz within THREE years of the CPV being granted. I hope this makes sense!

You can find more details here:

Category:Australia : British Expat Wiki

With regard to the two years, I am not sure if this would need to be a continuous period, probably not, so it may not be affected by holidays and such. I do know that when you apply for citizenship, which my daughter has done, they simply deduct any periods of time spent outside Oz, for holidays etc.

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Linday View Post
      I aree, this pensions lark is a nightmare. I have seen lots of threads for younger people re pensions and transferring to Oz and it seems fairly straightforward in that your employer can get involved in the transfer, but maybe we could start a new thread for us oldies, some of whom will probably not be working. We could share any information, recommendations etc. I know everyone's case is different but there must be some general tips and info we could share. Incidentally we ae also headed to Perth.
      I have to agree that it would be good to have pensions thread for us oldies. We will be retired by the time we go though we are already drawing various pensions anyway. I have no idea how we should go about having our pensions paid to us in Oz or ensuring that they are paid gross. Aside from the fact that our UK state pensions are frozen the moment we leave these shores I know nothing about the rest. We will have to do something about getting further information soon but at the moment it's enough that we have to cope with selling the house and moving our goods and chattels.
      Arrived in Perth November 2010 and still here so it must be okay!

Title
      Liked
      46 times
      Rep

New currency exchange rate

For those contemplating paying at the High Commission in London; from now (1 July Canberra time) until 31 December 2010 you'll get a rate of $1.5760 = 1.

That should put paid to that payment method for the forseeable future.

Best wishes

Steve
      CPV 143 - Visa granted 4 May 2009, Permanent resident from 31 August 2009
      Tracker

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      41 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by sandch View Post
      For those contemplating paying at the High Commission in London; from now (1 July Canberra time) until 31 December 2010 you'll get a rate of $1.5760 = 1.

That should put paid to that payment method for the foreseeable future.

Best wishes

Steve
      That should put pay to immigration to Oz, but I guess we will think it's worth it.

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Hi Gill,
      Sorry, I have just found your thread, but don't panic. WE ARE NOT PULLING OUT!!! Definately not. Just panic regularly, but hey, as you have said, our boys are there and tell us it will be okay. We are ready to make a lot of compromises to be with them, and they assure us we won't starve !!!
      its always the unknown and leaving a safe job etc. it is scary that at our age, it wont work, but your Mum is brilliant, wish we were going to Perth as a lot of PIO's are going in that direction. But there will be lots of people in Mornington of our age and position so will get out there and find them. i would love to get a job, so maybe I can do what Mum does !! Thanks for your brilliant support as usual
      regards
      Sandy

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      238 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by yomvard View Post
      Hi Gill,
      Sorry, I have just found your thread, but don't panic. WE ARE NOT PULLING OUT!!! Definately not. Just panic regularly, but hey, as you have said, our boys are there and tell us it will be okay. We are ready to make a lot of compromises to be with them, and they assure us we won't starve !!!
      its always the unknown and leaving a safe job etc. it is scary that at our age, it wont work, but your Mum is brilliant, wish we were going to Perth as a lot of PIO's are going in that direction. But there will be lots of people in Mornington of our age and position so will get out there and find them. i would love to get a job, so maybe I can do what Mum does !! Thanks for your brilliant support as usual
      regards
      Sandy
      Hi Sandy

It certainly give us all hope dosent it. When we have been on the Gold Coast we have seen a lot of 'older' people working. A lovely couple around age 70 had a little 'tinnie' rental business(small fishing boats to you and I ) might as well start learning the lingo hubby and a couple of friends hired one $50 for 2 hours so if they enjoy it and it helps them out.........good on them I say

Lets face it if 60 is the new 40 then 70 is the new 50 right....

Phoebe

Title
      Liked
      164 times
      Rep
      Wow, that is quick, i thought if you applied on shore you had to stay until the visa is granted. Did you have an agent in OZ? I did consider doing it from OZ but worried about using my savings to support myself thinking it would take 12-18mths as you would not be allowed to work. I would be grateful to hear how you went through the process in OZ.
      So pleased for you, it won't be long before you will be joining your family........ lovely!

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      so, does that mean you can work as soon as you apply?or do you have to wait untill your visa is granted ?

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by yomvard View Post
      But there will be lots of people in Mornington of our age and position so will get out there and find them.
      regards
      Sandy
      Hi Sandy, Not sure when you hope to arrive but you are always welcome to look us up.
      We are at Sandhurst, which I guess is on the start of the Mornington proper.

Good Luck!

•