Page 102 of 1233 FirstFirst ... 252921001011021031041121522026021102 ... LastLast
    Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 12325
      pommepaul
      Thanks everyone. My mum is not eligible for the Aged Parent Visa and we don't have the money for the CPV which is why we are trying to see what options we have. Going to read the links and post again soon

Title
      Sirmatt101
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      The exchange rate is rapidly heading towards a below 1.5 figure, help!!

Matt
      CPV 143, Application Lodged 1st May 2008, Permanent Residence 29/01/2010, Made the final move 23/01/2011

Title
      Liked
      46 times
      Rep

CPV - Exchange rate

Quote Originally Posted by sirmatt101 View Post
      The exchange rate is rapidly heading towards a below 1.5 figure, help!!

Matt
      This is not good at all. One small transaction we did yesterday was at 1.49ish. The pundits speak of a correction but it involves factors (a deflating of the Chinese property bubble for example) which are themselves uncertain. And we do need UK interest rates to start coming back to normality, a move which may not happen until the impact of the VAT rise has been assessed. We have to grin and bear it for now, but it is painful.

Cheers

Steve
      CPV 143 - Visa granted 4 May 2009, Permanent resident from 31 August 2009
      Tracker

Title
      CandB
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Hi everyone,

There you all are - thank goodness for that! The exchange rate is awful but we have our visas peeps just think of Audie and eat bread and jam and live in a caravan
      if you have to. Seriously it will get better and a HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Title
      CandB
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by BandC View Post
      Hi everyone,

There you all are - thank goodness for that! The exchange rate is awful but we have our visas peeps just think of Audie and eat bread and jam and live in a caravan
      I was so happy to find familiar friends forgot to ask the question. How do you get Senior Card and does that give you discount towards medication?

Title
      Sirmatt101
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      I was so happy to find familiar friends forgot to ask the question. How do you get Senior Card and does that give you discount towards medication?
      Depending on which State you settle in, you have to apply, (online, or an application form) to the State Government.

If you Google, Google Australia and then look up Senior Card, it will take you to where you want to be.

We applied for our Seniors Cards (for Queensland) a month ago, using our daughter's address and they have been delivered, ready for when we arrive next month. The ones I applied for have the seniors card one side & the Go Card (for bus travel) on the other. I am not sure if you get discount on medication, I don't think you do. Maybe someone else can answer that?

Try one of these:-
      http://www.communityservices.qld.gov.au/seniorscard/
      http://www.seniorscard.nsw.gov.au/
      http://www.dpcd.vic.gov.au/seniors/seniorscard/
      http://www.communities.wa.gov.au/ser...s/default.aspx
      http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/seniors...Seniors%20Card
      http://www.actseniorscard.org.au/

Cheers

Matt
      Last edited by sirmatt101; 30-12-2010 at 08:38 PM.
      CPV 143, Application Lodged 1st May 2008, Permanent Residence 29/01/2010, Made the final move 23/01/2011

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep

Smile

Hi everyone,

.................I was feeling quite sad and depressed and your note helped me no end! - yes, please think of me - but I am not down to bread and jam yet! but vegemite yes!

we have not made any decisions

we have two options

1. to appeal to the Migration review board - cost approx $2000, more medicals and doubtless large migration agent or lawyer fees - it will take well over a year and absolutely no guarantee at the end of that period.

2. I can cancel the present application completely. Go to Oz for Easter and the birth oif second grandbebe and stay on a visitor's visa until September (we already have a house sit on the gold coast for three months which is great, on the water) and whilst there check on lawyers and migration agents near Brissie and completely reassess. Cost of this - lawyer or agent fees, another application fee, more medical fees and police records etc. and no guarantee.

After all the legislation has not changed and actually one of my concerns is that we should never have been able to apply and go through all this. The legislation is clear. No disabled people may be granted permanent resident status, and during this process I have met or spoken with many people who have had experience with this situation and a great deal of money, patience and stamina is required. I am getting short of all three.

I am now 69 and have been in the process for over two years. I am very healthy and fit, play a lot of tennis etc. BUT it is all getting me down.

Last week I went to our local retirement home. Catherine is going to work there with the activity director. I have also spoken to the management about the possibility of Catherine living there should I die before the immigration people make up their minds.........(hopefully not, but we have no relatives here, or anywhere else for that matter) and Catherine would be able to live and work there. Not ideal- but the best so far. Heather would make sure that she, Cat, would visit yearly to oz and there are friends.

BUT we want to be in Oz. the cost is a huge factor and reading many posts on the subject, is becoming an even bigger factor.. I wonder if some people are finding it too hard to do. Our ages are a factor and actually I have been very depressed over the holidays and for some strange reason your post dear BandC mentioning me has got me up and moving finally................something I have been trying to do all week so a big THANK YOU!

we are on the site often and are so very happy that so many of you are getting a CO - we are so lucky with ours - she has been so caring........we wish everyone a speedy immigration experience and thank you so much for thinking of us and your thoughts. we will continue to visit the site regularly.

Let us hope that everyone has a happy and prosperous new year

audie and catherine

Title
      Sirmatt101
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi Audie, great to hear from you again, but not so great to read your post! We really do feel for you, as you do have a greater need than most of us to get to Oz. We can take care of ourselves ok, but quite obviously your daughter Catherine needs long term security which I think is your aim here?

I don't know if in Canada your can do as we can in the UK and approach your local member of parliament for help, even on emigration matters. My wife some years back wrote to our local MP on matters regarding the CPV and we got a reply from the Chief Migration Officer at the UK OZ High Commission, London, enclosed with the MPs reply.

My thoughts would be to keep fighting until all avenues are exhausted, they cannot be completely inhumane!

Good luck & let us know when you are back on the GC , we would love to meet up with you, we can always put another prawn on the barbie and a couple of beers in the chiller.

The exchange rate is worrying us at the moment, but I will be looking for a job as soon we arrive (actually applying now for some), and will have to work for some time yet (at least until I am 102!).

All the best

Matt
      Last edited by sirmatt101; 30-12-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Title
      Liked
      177 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by sirmatt101 View Post
      I am not sure if you get discount on medication, I don't think you do. Maybe someone else can answer that?

Cheers

Matt
      G'Day

No I THINK that for medication discounts you need the Commonwealth (ie Federal Govt) Seniors Medical Card, and I THINK you have to wait 2 years for that. I don't know the details you'd better Google it.

Best, Mike

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      41 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by MikenSueNW3 View Post
      G'Day

No I THINK that for medication discounts you need the Commonwealth (ie Federal Govt) Seniors Medical Card, and I THINK you have to wait 2 years for that. I don't know the details you'd better Google it.

Best, Mike
      As well as 2 years resident you must be of 'pension age'.

Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

or

Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

•