Character requirement - Help!

Guest ElisaMA

Guest ElisaMA

Hi everybody,

I've just been informed today that there is a CO processing my application but hasn't contacted me yet. I thought about starting to get the police checks to speed up the process as much as I can.

I've checked the website of immigration about "Character and Penal Clearance Requirements" but I am not sure how many certificates do I need to get...

In Spain we have:

- Local police check

- National police check (1 month to get it!!)

- Penal check (1 day to get it)

Anybody knows if I have to provide all of them? because it's a hell of procedures... :confused:

Thanks!

You need to provide police certificates from every country where you have lived for 12 months or more over the past 10 years. If you are British you need to get your police certificate from the ACRO: Association of Chief Police Officers Vacancies

As far as I know it's the same for all visa applications for Australia but it's always worth checking the small print for the one you are going for.

Edited to add that somewhere on that character check page found on the DIAC's Web site is another, PDF form that contains the names and addresses to contact for police checks world-wide. I can't find the link at the moment but I remember it being fairly easy to find (just not late at night it seems!) :)

Good luck :smile:

Guest ElisaMA

Thanks Happy Lass,

I'm from Spain and i haven't live in other countries. I found that list with all the offices around the world in the immigration website, but that is only for the penal clearance (expedited by the ministry of Justice).

What i'm not sure is if I need also another check from the police itself, which also exists, and they even have 2 different certificates, from local and national police... or just with the penal certificate will be enough... I know it's a tricky question, as it's probably different in each country.

Ah I misunderstood. I found the document I was thinking of which seems to have changed since I last looked. The document itself is here: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/character-penal.pdf and was found on this page: Character Requirement - Applications & Forms I found the following information on page 29 and hopefully it might be of help to you:

SPAIN

Relevant document – ‘Certificado de Antecedentes Penales’

Apply Residents in person to the Ministerio de Justicia or Ministerio del Interior, in most provincial capitals in Spain

Non-residents using form 80

At the departmental office/post processing your application

Website: http://www.mju.es or .: Ministerio del Interior (España) - :.

Provide: National Identity Document (DNI) or passport

Fee nil

Form form 80 available from the department or website Department of Immigration & Citizenship

Guest ElisaMA

Thanks Happy Lass,

So you think that should be the only document i have to provide. That's good news then. Thanks for your quick answers

I've just realized that you got the visa las friday! Congratulations :wink:

It looks that way to me but there should be a way to verify that with the police or with your nearest Australian embassy.

Thanks :smile: I still keep checking my passport just to be sure :) I wish you much luck with your application and hope that you too get that positive answer as quickly as possible :hug:

• 2 years later...

hi

again, I found this info very contradictory. does it not state on the immi homepage that 'you do not need to provide this information if you are applying from outside of australia'?? now, does that apply to the police certificates or to all these statement and personal info forms? or does it not apply to either, since everybody here seems to get the police certificates...? :/

hi

again, I found this info very contradictory. does it not state on the immi homepage that 'you do not need to provide this information if you are applying from outside of australia'?? now, does that apply to the police certificates or to all these statement and personal info forms? or does it not apply to either, since everybody here seems to get the police certificates...? :/

Your question is a bit confusion.

Certian visas require Police Clearence Certificates from evey country that you have lived in during the last 10 years. This usually applies to PR visas/Partner visas/and some temporary residency visas, depending you your past circumstances and what you will be doing in Australia.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/79character.htm

that's exactly what I mean by contradictory information...on some of these pages it states 'all persons bla bla' and here http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/ it says 'If you are applying outside Australia, you do not have to provide this information when you apply. You will be advised when it is required.' as this is stated under the heading 'Meeting the character requirement for temporary and permanent migration' it looks to me as if any form of character requirements are not required...

Archived