Shared container

lynne1266

Hi Everyone,

My OH has just been offered a job with a company in Melbourne and will be making the move on a 457 visa around June next year.:biggrin:

At the moment I am looking at removal costs and to be honest I don't think we'll have enough things to fill a 20ft container as we're getting rid of a lot.

What I would like to know is who has used shared container and how much it cost them just so I can get an idea.

Thanks

Lynne xx

Guest littlesarah

Hello Lynne

The cost depends on the volume of goods you want to ship. It cost us 2.5 grand for 470 cu ft, in May this year. Prices vary between different companies - we used Dorere Bonner, who weren't the cheapest, but we're pleased with how things went (and more importantly, arrived!).

Hope this is of some use to you - I'm sure there are other threads on this topic, have you tried searching the forum?

Good luck

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply.

I did do a search but no-one seamed to mention the amount they paid, I have emailed PSS who have given me a cost for a shared which wasn't too bad but its good to know what others have paid with other companies.

Thanks again, Lynne xx

• 2 weeks later...

hi lynne

we too are hopefully moving to melbourne next year jan/feb. also on a 457 as just finalised a job. if you don't mind me asking what were you quoted on a shared container as that is the route we are looking at. going to have a serious spring clean before we go, so also believe a full container would be a bit much.

thanks jim & nic

hi lynne

we too are hopefully moving to melbourne next year jan/feb. also on a 457 as just finalised a job. if you don't mind me asking what were you quoted on a shared container as that is the route we are looking at. going to have a serious spring clean before we go, so also believe a full container would be a bit much.

thanks jim & nic

Hi, I emailed PSS but they were a bit vague the cost of a full container was £3358 and when I asked them for the cost of a shared container they sent me this email,

Hope it helps abit !!

Lynne xx

"Thank you for your email. You can send any volume within a shared container, it generally becomes more cost effective to have you own container when you reach about 700cuft. The costs can range from approx £700 to £2800 – dependent on volume. You would be charged on the space that you use in the container.

We offer a free no obligation visit from one of our estimators to assess the volume to be moved."

We used PSS from croyden and found them very good. We had a sole use container as i my mind i didn't want loads of other peoples stuff in with mine. And they leave straight away so get there quicker. Why are you throwing loads of stuff away, do you not use it. If you do you will need it over here! just a thourght as the £1000- £1500 you save on sharing a container is soon eaten up buying stuff you threw away in uk.

You have to think about the time without your stuff as well they say 6-8 weeks but customs/quarentine etc we sent ours 2 months before we arrived and still had to wait 4 weeks when we got there.

Congrats on the job, becoming a grandma etc. Hope all goes well.

hi lynne

thanks for that i have them coming to give me a quote on the 25th, so will be able to shed a bit more light on costs for items etc. we are only taking our sofa's, tv's, couple of units and beds. fingers crossed will be able to tie them to an exact figure.

jim

• 2 weeks later...
I'd be interested to hear your final quote from them, as I've had a quick estimate off them for a full 20 ft container, with a car and household stuff and it was just over £3k.

Julz

hi julz

they are coming on the 25th to give the price, i will be after a quote for both shared and single container, so should hopefully be able to give you a full breakdown of what they say about costs then.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd be interested to hear your final quote from them, as I've had a quick estimate off them for a full 20 ft container, with a car and household stuff and it was just over £3k.

Julz

hi julz,

i have just had a gentleman from pss around to quote on our forthcoming move. he was very professional and spent a long time talking me through all the available options etc.

i will get a full quote emailed through within a week but he has measured up and says we will need 515 cu feet. which will be a shared container. he estimated our costs to be £2500 plus a fee of 250-350 ausd for aus inspection fees. he explained the cost could go down dependant upon the volume actually collected for removal as we pay for exactly what we ship. ie voulme. so if he over estimated then after collection the price will drop. he has allowed for a few extra boxes etc as stated it is better that prices come down than go up.

although we haven't had the final qoute from them yet i was very impressed by the professionalism and knowledge that he provided me with. the service is full day packing, shipping customs, delivery and unpacking at the other end.

hope this helps and will give full qoute when available

jim and nic

Hi folks,

Thanks for that - its most helpful. I've got them coming round on the 7th. Thought I'd better start having a sort out then they can see what we'd like to take. If they came round now, they'd have a dicky fit with all the stuff!!

I'll let you know how we get on.

Julz

hi julz,

i have just had a gentleman from pss around to quote on our forthcoming move. he was very professional and spent a long time talking me through all the available options etc.

i will get a full quote emailed through within a week but he has measured up and says we will need 515 cu feet. which will be a shared container. he estimated our costs to be £2500 plus a fee of 250-350 ausd for aus inspection fees. he explained the cost could go down dependant upon the volume actually collected for removal as we pay for exactly what we ship. ie voulme. so if he over estimated then after collection the price will drop. he has allowed for a few extra boxes etc as stated it is better that prices come down than go up.

although we haven't had the final qoute from them yet i was very impressed by the professionalism and knowledge that he provided me with. the service is full day packing, shipping customs, delivery and unpacking at the other end.

hope this helps and will give full qoute when available

jim and nic

We used PSS and i would recomend them but the company they used this end where basically a bit lazy. They didn't want to unpack, they weren't that careful. In the end i got them to unpack all the fragile stuff as it had the most packaging around it but they don't put away they just left it where the boxes were. I got the right hump with the blokes.

One thing i did do over here was hassle the company about getting my stuff through customs, as our container arrived on christmas day and it took 4 weeks to get our stuff delivered and then it was only because someone dropped out at the last minute and i was ringing everyday.

hi andy

thanks for that, the guy that came around today did say it was only flat suracface unpacking, which to be honest suits me fine. nicolla would like to choose a home for all our possessions, you know what women are like. i can't put a bottle of sauce away without it being in the wrong place. interesting to hear about the delays in customs though.

cheers

jim

hi andy

thanks for that, the guy that came around today did say it was only flat suracface unpacking, which to be honest suits me fine. nicolla would like to choose a home for all our possessions, you know what women are like. i can't put a bottle of sauce away without it being in the wrong place. interesting to hear about the delays in customs though.

cheers

jim

I am glad it is not only my wife that does that. The UK packers were very good, we didn't have one breakage which the way the aussies handled our stuff was a miricle. We lived in Horsham so the men were from Croyden. There is always room for negotiation as well.

Just another thing to check is if you have the bikes/ garden stuff sprayed make sure they do it, They didn't do mine as the men forgot, they put it on the customs sheet they did but i refused to pay for something they didn't do.

Would still recomend them thou.

thanks again andy. will take that on board when the final quote comes through. he didn't mention spraying the bikes. guess my golf clubs would need that also. will mention it to him.

jim

• 1 month later...

hello again

Well, furniture has now been collected. and as andy stated the guys this end were absolutely fantastic. it'll be like christmas at the other end opening all our possessions. on the whole so far i have been very impressed with the service that i have received from pss. However the only advice i would give is to ensure you check with the guys collecting your things to get an approximate figure of the space you will use. (obviously shared container only). i did this and was advised they guessed it to be about 350 cubic feet but my things would get measured properly in the warehouse. great i thought as i was quoted for 470. (we did a lot of thinning out). a few days later my final invoice comes through for the initial amount quoted of 470, i called them immediately and got them to "look into this". they called back apologized and gave me a new figure. when this arrived by email i compared it to my previous quotes and was still unhappy. when i contacted the point of contact i had with the company via email. he immediately looked into the problem and agreed with me that it wasn't correct. long story short they have finally given me the correct price and all is well. i have been assured by my point of contact that wrists have been slapped and the relevant people in the finance department spoken to. it was a shame as from the start they have been brilliant. my designated point of contact has always bent over backwards to help with any issues. the guys who collected the stuff were brilliant. just the finance department weren't on the ball..... or is that common practice if you don't check with them?? on the whole though, would i reccomend them. YES. just check your invoice.

Archived