Port Macquarie

Guest woods99

Guest woods99

The missus and I moved to our present address on the Gold Coast a couple of years ago, we were living just north of Sydney. We enjoy the warm winters, but we miss the natural environment that abounds further south, but which is just absent here in South East Queensland, near the coast (unless you count palm trees and concrete as natural).

We are thinking about having a look at Port Macquarie, as possibly a good compromise - better winters than Sydney, and a better natural environment than the Gold Coast.

Anybody care to comment?

Guest littlesarah

I have never lived in Port Macquarie, so cannot comment with any authority on what it's like to live there. However, I love the area around there - we used to go camping at Point Plomer, & I have very fond memories of it. We considered moving there when we came over here this time, but decided to settle closer to my in-laws.

Good luck with your decision - no doubt someone better informed than I will be along shortly.

Sarah

Guest woods99
I have never lived in Port Macquarie, so cannot comment with any authority on what it's like to live there. However, I love the area around there - we used to go camping at Point Plomer, & I have very fond memories of it. We considered moving there when we came over here this time, but decided to settle closer to my in-laws.

Good luck with your decision - no doubt someone better informed than I will be along shortly.

Sarah

Thanks for your comment, Sarah. Yes, it is a beautiful part of the world indeed.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for your comment, Sarah. Yes, it is a beautiful part of the world indeed.

Bit late with a reply - but just saw your post.

Originally - after 3 recce visits we had decided to move their as it ticked 99% of out boxes. The missing 1 percent was distance/time to travel to Sydney.

After looking at rentals and properties for sale in our bracket..... we set off back to Sydney and diverted to The Entrance for dinner.

Taking the long and winding road back down to Gosford we saw some nice places.

The short version is after a couple of failed house purchase enquiries....we went back upto The Entrance and found the house we now own.

Port is nice and if our need to trip down to Sydney every 4 weeks or so was not a consideration...we would have settled there. As it is we have found a nice quiet place at the right price and within 100 klm of Sydney.

But if you if travel back to Sydney is not on your list...its a nice place to be.

best Wishes

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nikkers

I can't comment on what it's like to live at Port Macquarie, but I recently went there for a work trip and loved it! What I loved about it is that it's not Sydney. My cab driver told me he loved Sydney... in the rear-view mirror :) Even though I'm a Sydneysider, born and bred, I loved that it was away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Guest woods99
Bit late with a reply - but just saw your post.

Originally - after 3 recce visits we had decided to move their as it ticked 99% of out boxes. The missing 1 percent was distance/time to travel to Sydney.

After looking at rentals and properties for sale in our bracket..... we set off back to Sydney and diverted to The Entrance for dinner.

Taking the long and winding road back down to Gosford we saw some nice places.

The short version is after a couple of failed house purchase enquiries....we went back upto The Entrance and found the house we now own.

Port is nice and if our need to trip down to Sydney every 4 weeks or so was not a consideration...we would have settled there. As it is we have found a nice quiet place at the right price and within 100 klm of Sydney.

But if you if travel back to Sydney is not on your list...its a nice place to be.

best Wishes

Thanks for that, sorry I did not respond earlier. We lived at Wamberal for a few years, but my Thai wife got sick of the cold, wet winters, so we moved up to the Gold Coast. But we really miss the beautiful natural environment further south - the Gold Coast is a wasteland in comparison with many parts of coastal NSW.

Port M looks like a good compromise. The only real problem is having to take a small plane to Sydney when we travel OS. My wife likes big planes.:unsure:

Archived