Hi!!

Guest gemmaallison118

Guest gemmaallison118

Hi All!!

I'm new to this so please excuse me if I do anything wrong.

I have been advised to come on to this site for help and advice. My partner and I are in the process of moving over to Tasmania next year and would really love some advice from anyone on anything and everything.

We are coming over blind (so to speak) to Tasmania as we have not visited before however we have travelled around Australia for 12 months. We have done research on the interent and through guide books etc but would really like to know how some of you went about what you did in your first few weeks after arriving in Tasmania.

We are looking to live in Horbart and surrounding suburbs, where is the best place for a young couple to start a new life. Can anybody recommend estate agents to look up with rentals, is there a local group for new expats.

Many thanks

Gems

• 1 month later...
Guest Mandymil

Hi Gemma, we have just come back from a visit to Hobart, like you we were going to move over "blind" 18 months ago but the sponsor got cold feet & pulled out. Have stayed in contact with the office manager Vickie (we met her 18 mths ago when she was here visiting her Daughter) Just emailed her about 6 weeks ago to inform her that we were going out for a holiday in jan, & we had an email back asking us for a number so she could call us! lo & behold my Husband was re-offered the job & they wanted us to go out for a visit & they would pay his air fare. We did of course, we loved it, it will take abit of getting used to as the pace of life is much slower & they don't have shops like ours. Hobart is a great place for young couples, lots of bars & restaurants, but be warned mon- weds most places close by 8pm but open late the rest of the week. pros are: fresh air, fresh fruit & veg, beautiful scenery, never far from a beach-heaven!!!!!!!!

Let me know what you decide.

Guest siamsusie
Hi All!!

I'm new to this so please excuse me if I do anything wrong.

I have been advised to come on to this site for help and advice. My partner and I are in the process of moving over to Tasmania next year and would really love some advice from anyone on anything and everything.

We are coming over blind (so to speak) to Tasmania as we have not visited before however we have travelled around Australia for 12 months. We have done research on the interent and through guide books etc but would really like to know how some of you went about what you did in your first few weeks after arriving in Tasmania.

We are looking to live in Horbart and surrounding suburbs, where is the best place for a young couple to start a new life. Can anybody recommend estate agents to look up with rentals, is there a local group for new expats.

Many thanks

Gems

Hi Gems, welcome to PIO. We have a home in the north of Tasmania but my OH's family are all in Hobart. You couldnt pick a nicer state, its stunning and I personally have no regrets living there. Please feel free to pm me for any details and I will be glad to help:wubclub: ss x

PS Gems... Happy Lass is also living in Hobart, I am sure she will be pleased to help as well xx

Hi Gems, welcome to PIO. We have a home in the north of Tasmania but my OH's family are all in Hobart. You couldnt pick a nicer state, its stunning and I personally have no regrets living there. Please feel free to pm me for any details and I will be glad to help:wubclub: ss x

PS Gems... Happy Lass is also living in Hobart, I am sure she will be pleased to help as well xx

Hi Siamsusie,

We are also moving to Tasmania (as soon as the exchange rate improves that is). But, although I am an Australian citizen, my husband has never been to Australia, and I have never been to Tasmania.

We chose Tassie as it will be an esier climate for us to adjust to (I have been back in the UK for 11 years now) and my husband hates intense heat. It is also a new place for us both, and far enough from my huge family to give us a chance of time for each other.

We are looking at areas, but will probably rent for a short time to get to know the area before buying.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. I am so excited about coming home! But I would love to make a few good contacts before we move over.

Wishing you a fantastic Sunday,

Sharon

Guest siamsusie
Hi Siamsusie,

We are also moving to Tasmania (as soon as the exchange rate improves that is). But, although I am an Australian citizen, my husband has never been to Australia, and I have never been to Tasmania.

We chose Tassie as it will be an esier climate for us to adjust to (I have been back in the UK for 11 years now) and my husband hates intense heat. It is also a new place for us both, and far enough from my huge family to give us a chance of time for each other.

We are looking at areas, but will probably rent for a short time to get to know the area before buying.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. I am so excited about coming home! But I would love to make a few good contacts before we move over.

Wishing you a fantastic Sunday,

Sharon

Hi Sharon welcome to PIO. I am more partial to a cooler climate so Tasmania suits me well but summers I have found to be wonderful in Tasmania so it probably will suit your husband fine. It's a stunning state, I knew after travelling a fair bit of Australia this was where I wanted to be coupled with the fact that my husband is a Tasmanian he wanted to transfer from the mines of WA after 20 years.

Its difficult to recommend north or south, city or countryside, it is all so varied. Hobart is stunning with a lovely cafe culture, markets, harbour, mountains etc. and a 15 drive to the rainforests access to Mount Wellington.Launceston being the north enjoys a milder climate , (Hobart being closer to Antartica) surrounded by victorian houses, the River Tamar and wine growing regions which is where we are. Houses prices are excellent (I find) for eg. we paid just under $600,000 (all inclusive with stamp duty& solicitors costs /surveying etc )for a 4 bedroomed, 2 bathrooms, lounge, kitchen, rumpus room and 3 acres on the River Tamar. You can buy beautiful miners cottages for anything around $175,000 upwards (north), it really is dependant where you want to live., and where the employment is I guess (thats if you require employment lol)

Renting Hobart Rental Properties - realestate.com.au seems to be around anything from $275 upwards. Both cities enjoy an airport, Devonport is where the Spirit of Tasmania docks from Melbourne, (Devonport has an airport as well.)

Shopping wise, it satisfies my needs but being a shorts/jeans person I am not one to miss "haute couture" lol. The fresh produce is awesome, fish, meats excellent. My kids are adults now but I never have a problem occupying friends and family's kids with camping, fishing etc. although young adults on the island apparently do get bored and yearn for the mainland lol., but apparently always come home eventually lol. The Tasmanians are extremely hospitable some say its backward well if thats the case then I am enjoying "backward", its a nice slow quality pace of life and its green, it reminds me so much of Scotland in many ways with better weather.

I love the 4 seasons, the log fires in the winter, spring and the long summers, and for me Tasmania ticks all my boxes.

If you want to pm me I will gladly add you to messenger/skype. There are a few other posters namely HappyLass on this site whom I am sure will be glad to you information as well.

Give us a shout and a big welcome ss xxx PS "Itcouldbeworse" has some stunning photography on Tasmania, I am sure he could oblige xx

http://www.discovertasmania.com/about_tasmania/moving_to_tasmania

http://www.discovertasmania.com/about_tasmania/climate

http://www.tascamper.com/our_rate.htm (an affordable way of seeing the island)

http://www.lifestyle-tasmania.net/

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel/tas/directory/accommodation

some beautiful areas like Richmond http://www.discovertasmania.com/destinations/hobart_and_surrounds/richmond

and campbelltown http://www.smh.com.au/news/tasmania/campbell-town/2005/02/17/1108500205687.html

just in case your Oh gets homesick for historic buildings lol

Have a lovely weekend Sharon xx

I'd be glad to :smile: Hobart's a fantastic place to live and it's also very beautiful here. Susie's already given you a comprehensive list of links and I can't think of anything that I could add to that. :) There are a lot of nice places to live in Hobart and the surrounding areas but I'm afraid I don't yet know the area well enough yet to make a solid recommendation but can certainly ask the DH and my in-laws for their advice so if you have any questions, you're very welcome to PM me.

Guest guest30038
PS "Itcouldbeworse" has some stunning photography on Tasmania, I am sure he could oblige xx

Hi Sharon,

Take a look here THROUGH MY EYES for what you can expect to be surrounded by in Tazzie. The landscapes there are stunning as are the beaches that often you can have all to yourselves. I would live there tomorrow, if I could, but my wife prefers warmer climes due to her Raynaud's disease.

Despite it being a small island, you really have so much varied and wonderful scenery that I'm sure, could take a lifetime to explore............wilderness on your doorstep practically. The locals are wonderful warm people, once you get to know them.

Enjoy and good luck

Hi Sharon,

Take a look here THROUGH MY EYES for what you can expect to be surrounded by in Tazzie. The landscapes there are stunning as are the beaches that often you can have all to yourselves. I would live there tomorrow, if I could, but my wife prefers warmer climes due to her Raynaud's disease.

Despite it being a small island, you really have so much varied and wonderful scenery that I'm sure, could take a lifetime to explore............wilderness on your doorstep practically. The locals are wonderful warm people, once you get to know them.

Enjoy and good luck

I really appreciate you taking the time to show me your impressions of Tasmania. I am sorry your wife's health stops you from living there.

Thank you once again,

Sharon

I'd be glad to :smile: Hobart's a fantastic place to live and it's also very beautiful here. Susie's already given you a comprehensive list of links and I can't think of anything that I could add to that. :) There are a lot of nice places to live in Hobart and the surrounding areas but I'm afraid I don't yet know the area well enough yet to make a solid recommendation but can certainly ask the DH and my in-laws for their advice so if you have any questions, you're very welcome to PM me.

I am in the US right now, but will certainly take you up on the PM offer as soon as I return.

Thanks again,

Sharon

Archived