Road Trip

nik_kershaw

I have bought a motorbike up in Brisbane. As I live in the Canberra area I have to get back home, so I am going to do a ROAD TRIP. I am looking to set off on Friday (18/09/09) and travel down the coast on a big yellow bike. I am going to take my Camera and take some happy snaps, stopping off at Coffs Harbour with my brother-in-law for the night before carrying on. I'm looking forward to it but also worried as it is a really long way.

I'll let you know how I get on

Good luck with the trip, I hope you have got your NRMA badge with you......... Make sure you don't ride at night (too many trucks) and your off the road at dawn and dusk.... kangaroos, but i guess living in the ACT you would know that already.....

All the best

Geoffrey

erm not many highlights, i ran over a dead snake and almost hit a dead roo on the freeway, I passed the big banana, prawn and monareo as well as a service area called the rock, which is a miniture Ayers Rock on the highway. I was trying to get home rather than taking in the views etc

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Toorak Trev
I have bought a motorbike up in Brisbane. As I live in the Canberra area I have to get back home, so I am going to do a ROAD TRIP. I am looking to set off on Friday (18/09/09) and travel down the coast on a big yellow bike. I am going to take my Camera and take some happy snaps, stopping off at Coffs Harbour with my brother-in-law for the night before carrying on. I'm looking forward to it but also worried as it is a really long way.

I'll let you know how I get on

Tasmania too Broome via Cairns/Darwin is a long trip. Canberra Brisbane is a weekend jont.:laugh:

But have a good ride - Take it your brother is driving you up? Why not go up inland ie via Moree (thermal baths) and then come down the coast road?

Guest The Pom Queen

Oh I just love road trips and I am desperate to get out there again, unfortunately don't think we are going to get a holiday for another 12 months but the next one will definately be another road trip round Oz.

No i flew up to Brisbane then a train to Ipswich to buy and pick up this bike. Once on the thing I road all the way down the pacific highway and stopped off in Coffs harbour overnight. I know it was only a small trip compared to a Hobart to Broome run but I am only on a bike and have 2 maybe 3 days in which to do it in. My main priority was to get back to Queanbeyan and sleep. If i had more time it would have been better, but as it was I enjoyed it!

Guest Toorak Trev
No i flew up to Brisbane then a train to Ipswich to buy and pick up this bike. Once on the thing I road all the way down the pacific highway and stopped off in Coffs harbour overnight. I know it was only a small trip compared to a Hobart to Broome run but I am only on a bike and have 2 maybe 3 days in which to do it in. My main priority was to get back to Queanbeyan and sleep. If i had more time it would have been better, but as it was I enjoyed it!

Another ride you might consider (obviously with some more time) is going to Darwin via Alice Springs.

My brother and about 7 of his mates did it on harleys a few years back (ie the 80's)

Guest scouse Alan

lovely bike I bet you had a sore back in the riding position on it after that distance . Yes to do the road trips that what life in oz is all about, the wide open spaces, this road trip is 1 of my things to do on my list, again not every 1's cup of tea but for the scouse lad its heaven. Alan

Done that a few times myself..... But my stop would only lasted 20 minutes :wideeyed:

Yes Geoffrey, same here for me, stopped for 30 minutes at McCafe to get their yummy coffee but had to drink it in the car, as driver had bet on with brother on whose Mercedes would get to Brisbane faster (er...same car silly boys, same speed limit boys, aagh!!). Long night, kangaroos jumping out in front of us, etc.....olly needed to:SLEEP:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bob Tonnor
erm not many highlights, i ran over a dead snake and almost hit a dead roo on the freeway, I passed the big banana, prawn and monareo as well as a service area called the rock, which is a miniture Ayers Rock on the highway. I was trying to get home rather than taking in the views etc

The prawn is soon to be an ex prawn, the big merino is not in its original place, the rock roadhouse is small and has been renovated and is what sent the leyland brothers bust and the big banana aint that big, big fibreglass things aint what they used to be!

Archived