chain store ripping off customers!?

tracy123

And they say POM’s can whinge.

Went to a big chain store today that has 70% off some products and bought a knife that was 70% off bargain right? Wrong! The knife’s original price was £28 and as all tickets say % off ORIGINAL PRICE I paid £8.40, so far so good.

I met Tracy in town as she had just finished a meeting and wanted a top so off we go in this store, while I’m sat waiting for her outside the change room (men always look pathetic when waiting for there wife’s and partners) so I’m looking at my knife and start peeling off the price sticker labels it turns out the ORIGINAL price was only £26 so they are ripping people off………. What they have done is up the price then give the % off!!!!! Naughty if you ask me. So off I go to sort it out all they would do is price it at £26 and give the 70% off (saving of 60 pence) not interested in if any other knives were about at the same price! It felt like you have caught us out so we’ll fix it for you and you only.

Not happy there I rang up this chain store when getting home and was told they were well in there rights to change the price (fair point) and it was common place to just add a sticker over the old one. To me no matter what they say if the original price is still on the product the original price stands. (All the code numbers matched on every sticker) I was also told that it would take to many man hours to take the original price off!!!!

So again not happy there with her explanation I rang up Trading standards who told me that they are breaking the law if what I say is correct and they will investigate and prosecute if found to be doing wrong.

So again I ring back the store and tell the woman what I’ve been told and tell her that I’m not impressed with her for trying to fob me off so on top of calling the trading standards I was calling my local paper which I did.

They can’t do anything until trading standards make a report but are going to chase it upon my behalf.

What annoys me is if I was caught trying to rip off a store I would get prosecuted but when a store is ripping off it’s customers, a customer has to cause a right fuss to get something done.

Now some may say all that for 60p why bother? But imagine all those extra 60p they are picking up off customers not to mention any other products they are inflating prices on when sales come along not to mention over how many years……

My advice is to check the original price when getting your discount!

LMAO Geoffrey, I do that here in Perth with my shopping, for instance say they mark down all there bread and rolls later in the day and they scan at the normal price and not the marked down price, well I always check my receipt and will go back to customer service and they will give me the difference no problem it might only be a $1 but hey it all counts.:yes:

Fair Play to ya though sometimes you have go so far for the right thing to be done

Good Luck with the outcome

Cheers Laney:smile:

Guest jodie_dirk

i was in woolies in wa and coco pops were on offer, 2 for a reduced price. the till scanned them at the original price. the policy is that they have to give one to you for free and the 2nd one at half price, bargain. i did ask if i could go back and get some more but they didnt see the funny side of it. always handy if the scanner hasnt been ammended to store discount price ;)

Coles and Woolies supermarkets are signatories to the scanning code of practice if an item is scanned at the checkout higher than the advertised price you receive the item for free. Coles tend to offer it for free where as Woolies are a bit tighter and only offer the difference back or a percentage off so we shop at Coles waiting for a slip up...lol

On the subject of UK supermarkets Tesco offer the same service as Asda I know this because my mate paid £299.99 for a playstation 3 and it was advertised in store for £299.98 (1 pence difference) so he went to customer services desk and if you look at the board behind the desk in very small writing it mentions about overcharging for items and getting the item free, he brought this to their attention and walked out the store with a free playstation 3 and a £300 refund, obviously I shot down there ten minutes later to try the same stunt and they had rectified their mistake, still cursing to this day, bl**dy Tesco's...

Guest LondonGal
And they say POM’s can whinge.

Went to a big chain store today that has 70% off some products and bought a knife that was 70% off bargain right? Wrong! The knife’s original price was £28 and as all tickets say % off ORIGINAL PRICE I paid £8.40, so far so good.

I met Tracy in town as she had just finished a meeting and wanted a top so off we go in this store, while I’m sat waiting for her outside the change room (men always look pathetic when waiting for there wife’s and partners) so I’m looking at my knife and start peeling off the price sticker labels it turns out the ORIGINAL price was only £26 so they are ripping people off………. What they have done is up the price then give the % off!!!!! Naughty if you ask me. So off I go to sort it out all they would do is price it at £26 and give the 70% off (saving of 60 pence) not interested in if any other knives were about at the same price! It felt like you have caught us out so we’ll fix it for you and you only.

Not happy there I rang up this chain store when getting home and was told they were well in there rights to change the price (fair point) and it was common place to just add a sticker over the old one. To me no matter what they say if the original price is still on the product the original price stands. (All the code numbers matched on every sticker) I was also told that it would take to many man hours to take the original price off!!!!

So again not happy there with her explanation I rang up Trading standards who told me that they are breaking the law if what I say is correct and they will investigate and prosecute if found to be doing wrong.

So again I ring back the store and tell the woman what I’ve been told and tell her that I’m not impressed with her for trying to fob me off so on top of calling the trading standards I was calling my local paper which I did.

They can’t do anything until trading standards make a report but are going to chase it upon my behalf.

What annoys me is if I was caught trying to rip off a store I would get prosecuted but when a store is ripping off it’s customers, a customer has to cause a right fuss to get something done.

Now some may say all that for 60p why bother? But imagine all those extra 60p they are picking up off customers not to mention any other products they are inflating prices on when sales come along not to mention over how many years……

My advice is to check the original price when getting your discount!

Hope you put your 60p to good use when you get it. :wink:

Enjoy the 70% off sales while you can. The average here is 10 or 20% off. I've even seen adverts offering 5%!!!

If you are really lucky you might get 30 or 40% but it's normally only the crap that no one wants.

Enjoy the 70% off sales while you can. The average here is 10 or 20% off. I've even seen adverts offering 5%!!!

If you are really lucky you might get 30 or 40% but it's normally only the crap that no one wants.

I'm not as tight as Geoffrey but I missed the special offers 3 for 2 and stuff from asdas.. and the ques!! I know the Brits have a good name when it comes to queing but the aussies super markets are a nightmare, talk about slow (opps i mean "laid back")

It's not about the 60p My point was they are inflating prices before giving the discount and if they are prepared to do it with 1 item and think it's ok I wonder how many other items they are doing this with across their stores (i would guess it adds up to a pritty penny). If being ripped off doesn't bother you, you must have too much money and wouldn't really need the sales so why moan for?

As for Australian discounts I have lived there before and do know this :yes:. I was very luckly living in Victoria doing the jobs i did I always knew where the bargains were and on Average would get 25 to 50% off the retail price for most things.

doing the jobs i did I always knew where the bargains were and on Average would get 25 to 50% off the retail price for most things.

Did you stack shelves?:biglaugh:

(nowt wrong with that)

Coles and Woolies supermarkets are signatories to the scanning code of practice if an item is scanned at the checkout higher than the advertised price you receive the item for free. Coles tend to offer it for free where as Woolies are a bit tighter and only offer the difference back or a percentage off so we shop at Coles waiting for a slip up...lol

On the subject of UK supermarkets Tesco offer the same service as Asda I know this because my mate paid £299.99 for a playstation 3 and it was advertised in store for £299.98 (1 pence difference) so he went to customer services desk and if you look at the board behind the desk in very small writing it mentions about overcharging for items and getting the item free, he brought this to their attention and walked out the store with a free playstation 3 and a £300 refund, obviously I shot down there ten minutes later to try the same stunt and they had rectified their mistake, still cursing to this day, bl**dy Tesco's...

Wow.... how very lucky and well observed of your friend!!!!

Archived