Any bad experiences with PSS?

Guest bentkitty

Guest bentkitty

We are about to pick a shipping company, have had all the big ones around (John Mason, Dorree Bonner, Pickfords, Anglo, White) and the best quote so far is PSS which is actually over a £1000 cheaper than the next nearest quote. I have been warned to watch out for them underestimating the volume, as if they have done that the actual volume and therefore cost can turn out to be much higher than their quote. Their volume estimate is pretty much in the middle of the range we got from all the shippers so dont think that will be much of an issue, also we will be really brutal with thinning out our possessions anyway.

Before I sign on the dotted line was just wondering if anyone had any major problems with breakages, delays in shipping, or indeed anything else that I should be wary of or check with them?! Tx in advance!

Guest 5x4_inches

We used PSS back in January and they were excellent - first class service both ends. In England the guys who packed up for us were superb and got everything packed up very efficiently, and didn't make a mess of the new carpet we got laid before we rented the house out even though it had been snowing outside.

Over here they partner with Kent removals and they were very good as well - we didn't suffer a single breakage and everything arrived in good time.

Ditto here, we were utterly delighted with PSS in the UK and happy with Kent in Perth.

If you do a search on here you will find it isn't the same story for everyone though.

The only thing I would say was the date they quoted was arrival in Perth and no-one explained to us it takes 2-3 weeks to clear customs (ours was over Christmas which made it worse)

Guest slipshot

We used PSS in January and siffice to say major amount of damage to goods both in the UK packing end and KLent delivery here. To the extent that we made, and received a claim for insurance at well over £4,000. That's a ton of damage.

PSS never seemed to care - they never got in touch to apologise or anything so from our perspective, they were pants...

Friends of ours used them and had a few broken picture frames where they wasnt wrapped properly and then the guys this end dropped the TV right outside their door , it was hard work for them to make the claim but they eventually got the money back.

It's a gamble who you use really it depends on the team on the day.

Good Luck

Guest slipshot

Very true - pot luck in my book...

That said, the claim was sorted very efficiently for us, and we had to show an assessor everything, negotiate as we did and then receive what we wanted but all very professional. Would rather have had undamaged goods than a decent claim though...

Guest bentkitty

Actually they misquoted as it turns out, their quote did not include our car!! They are saying they have to split our possessions across 2 20ft containers (as we dont fit in one), one of which will come several weeks after the other one, as they do not do shared container basis on a 40ft (everyone else does??!)

so looks like we are going with Simpsons!

Guest ozmove

Hi my name is Nick and I work for PSS, my email is nick@p-s-s.co.uk or phone 020 8686 7733.

Benkitty I would like to contact you because what you have said on the forum does not make any sense to me. PSS have operated a shared container service to all Australian ports for 27 years and I would like to look into your file to discover what went wrong because you said we forgot to quote for your car?

There are many options to combine cars with household goods or to send them seperately so I don't understand why you would say that they would be shipped weeks apart?

The only time this can happen is when someone has more than a 20' container load but a lot less than a 40' in which case you can either have your entire consignment as a shared container in a 40' or take the vast majority in your own 20' and then the small part that was left would go in a shared container and yes it can take longer to arrive than the 20' sole use container'

I do hope you will contact me so I can have a look at your file

regards

Nick

Guest bentkitty
Hi my name is Nick and I work for PSS, my email is nick@p-s-s.co.uk or phone 020 8686 7733.

Benkitty I would like to contact you because what you have said on the forum does not make any sense to me. PSS have operated a shared container service to all Australian ports for 27 years and I would like to look into your file to discover what went wrong because you said we forgot to quote for your car?

There are many options to combine cars with household goods or to send them seperately so I don't understand why you would say that they would be shipped weeks apart?

The only time this can happen is when someone has more than a 20' container load but a lot less than a 40' in which case you can either have your entire consignment as a shared container in a 40' or take the vast majority in your own 20' and then the small part that was left would go in a shared container and yes it can take longer to arrive than the 20' sole use container'

I do hope you will contact me so I can have a look at your file

regards

Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for the response. More than happy to talk to you. The salesman who came around to do the survey was very good, we received the quote a few days later, the price was great, but when I called to clarify what was included I was totally unimpressed by the attitude of the person I spoke to (he was just not interested, and declined to get us a 40ft shared container quote). Will PM you my contact details and maybe you can give me a call? Was almost set to go with PSS so bit disappointed it didnt work out to be honest!

Guest Redaussies

Before I sign on the dotted line was just wondering if anyone had any major problems with breakages, delays in shipping, or indeed anything else that I should be wary of or check with them?! Tx in advance!

Hi Hope your plans are going well.

The Move, is I think one of the most important parts of the whole migration process as your entrusting your life's possesions, some of which are irreplacable to total strangers. It's a strange feeling. On here you will have many opinions about each Operator, good and bad for each one guaranteed. Personally I prefer a company that operates under its own control both sides of the Move, that is UK and Australia. For example I read a few posts here aying a company called Kent partner with P.S.S in Perth. Well in Brisbane it was O.S.S. They, O.S.S came to us in Brissy and did a survey. The lady was excellent, and passed it to P.S.S to do the quote. Never got the quote.

I'm biased now towards Crown, who operate both ends of the journey. They are responsible for your move from start to finish, no passing the ball to a partner type of thing. Did you get a quote off them? Not always the cheapest, but I have to say their service for us, after a problem initially was great, but like I say it is luck of the draw. We had a bad experience with them initially all caused by one employee who didn't want to work. But they more than made up for it in the end. I don't know what part of Oz your off too, but I'm sure they could give you a good quote. If I can offer you some help on any of this having just done the move all be it into storage in Australia, please Pm me and I will reply.

Good luck with it all,

RED'S:wink:

Guest the stanleys

Hi there

We have not had a quote from PSS but have had 4 others. Pickfords are looking pretty good so far. Does anyone have any experience of them as a company? We don't necessarily want the cheapest (although it would certainly ne nice!!) but we want a good reliable service. Any thoughts?

Karen

Archived