What was your academic IELTS test result?

mr luvpants

Hi

If they've only just introduced it for nurses, I'd be interested to know why anyone would have had to sit it before, as the general one is needed for the extra points, and is also an extra requirement for accountants which is why I sat it, and quite a few other accountants on here.

I havent heard of any other occupation requiring it, and definitely not the academic one. Nurses is the first as far as I knew. Wonder why they feel nurses have to do the academic one?

Good luck with it anyway, the practice ones I sent you have both on it.

Shaz

Guest eurosyl

I did the Academic test as more tests were available for that (tho I only needed General).

English is not my first language but I had no troubles sitting the academic test (see results in sig) and succeeded the first time.

It depends on the familiarity with scientific articles / report structures whether the test is perceived as hard. The writing test was for me to describe a graph (trending) and the essay was about migration to cities and the effect of that on agricultural communites. The reading part was boring, boring, boring. It is supposedly an increasing level of difficulty between the 3 texts, but as the first part was about mimicry as used by rainforest butterflies (how can anyone relate to that) and the third text was about surveying (which is something I can relate to a bit more) I did not find that true at all. Time was my biggest enemy. I had not practised for IELTS (been using english for over 9 years professionally) and that was stupid. I had no idea how many lines were required for the number of words in the essay, I ran out of time and I got a mark reducted for shortage.

Just make sure you familiarize yourself with the structure of the texts, the expected formats of the writing parts. You cannot really prepare for listening (to my opinion) but know that between each listening segment there is a short time to review the upcoming questions, so you know what to listen for. The speaking may be hard if you are not able to hold a monologue (after a short dialoge with the examinator he picks a subject where you are expected to talk about for about 1-2 minutes). My subject was time management (after a question ' have you ever been late for something important and how did that affect you?). I just kept talking and tried not to use to many uhhhm's. It worked out fine, even with my funny accent.

And remember the test is aimed to test people that use English as 2nd language. Don't try to find deeper meanings behind questions/answers. If the information is not in the text, don't second guess.

Good luck,

Sylvia

Guest guest17301

OMG that sounds really hard? Will I have to do one as part of my modified skills assessment for my PR visa? (on 457 now-nurse)

I havent heard of any other occupation requiring it, and definitely not the academic one. Nurses is the first as far as I knew. Wonder why they feel nurses have to do the academic one?

There are other (mostly health-related) skilled occupations for which (usually academic) IELTS 7 (or an equivalent grade on another designated test of English) is a prerequisite for a pre-migration skills assessment.

There are other (mostly health-related) skilled occupations for which (usually academic) IELTS 7 (or an equivalent grade on another designated test of English) is a prerequisite for a pre-migration skills assessment.

Yes Social Workers will have to take it from later this year and get 7. Which wont include me as I'm not going on a skills visa and I'm glad because I'd prob fail, though I hate admitting it, being from Liverpool and all :embarrassed:

• 1 month later...
Guest Lyndhurst
What was your academic IELTS test result? How many attempts did you take to pass?

JOHN

Hi john

have you looked at the academic revision.... i have just graduated from uni.. as i know your OH will have too... and TBH the reading for academic IELTS looks really hard.

i will let you know how i get on but i would say to start revising or sitting the first one now...:arghh:

why do they always change things.... just when we think we have got over one thing, here comes another....:arghh:

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have just sat the IELTS for the second time. The first time my scores were Listening 8.5, Reading 9,Speaking 9 but 6.5 on writing. I must admit I was absolutely gutted and pretty :embarrassed:

I think I was a bit arrogant about it all(until I took some of the practice tests),

I mean academically I thought I was fine, I have written many assignments throughout my years as a nurse and even had a book published, yet still couldn't get sufficient scores.

It is harder then people think, so the best advice I could give would be plenty of preparation and focus. I think the reason I didn't get a 7 on my writing was because I waffled,although saying that I waffled on my speaking and managed to get a 9. The examiner did say after our 'chat' she had an interesting afternoon, which had been different to usual, I suppose most people would understand a small shop as being a 'local corner shop' but not me....I interpreted a small shop as the Disney Store and harped on about that for two minutes(well in my defense,my local Disney Store is small)

(you can't tell I am a waffler can you? :biglaugh:)

Hopefully, I will have done better this time but if not, I will keep trying... I don't mind jumping through hoops of fire to get the ultimate dream for my family.

Pam

x

• 6 years later...
Guest jetandspade
What was your academic IELTS test result? How many attempts did you take to pass?

JOHN

Its a shame that we need to talk about how many people fail the IELTS test. The company makes so much profit. You can search "ielts complaint guide" online and there is a good blog that explains how to complain about your IELTS score.

Its a shame that we need to talk about how many people fail the IELTS test. The company makes so much profit. You can search "ielts complaint guide" online and there is a good blog that explains how to complain about your IELTS score.

Is there a reason why you are bumping really old threads eg from 2009 and 2011. Not trying to promote your own blog are you?

Archived