Singapore Airline Luggage

Les Avalook

Hi, Has anyone flown this year with Singapore Airlines and what did they find they were allowing as luggage allowance.

Last year when we went out to see our son we took 20kgs each but was told that they do not charge up to 25kg, but they do not publicise the fact. We go in August for another visit and have both got 20kg plus.

Just wanted to know if they still have a flexable rule on normal flights.

When our son and wife emigrated last year they went with Singapore Airlines as they do the double allowance, but they went 10kg over that:shocked: and it cost them over £200 extra. Singapore Airlines said the double allowance is the one weight (40kg each) that they do not allow extra on, even on a half full flight! Be careful on that one.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Les

Sorry don't know for standard fares, maybe Nigel can help as he is a travel agent. Just want to wish you a lovely holiday.

Kate

Guest slipshot

Much depends on where you fly from. Heathrow as an airport will allow up to 25kg on Singapore without any cost or issue. They just keep it quiet. 26kg would possibly be OK but any more and you'd be charged I'm sure. I've had a few suitcases at the 25kg mark and it's been fine...

Guest slipshot
Thanks slipshot, it appears OK to go up to 25kg from other replies I have had, so looks like our son can have his goodies and we will have something to wear.:biggrin:

I suppose that all depends on how much your son would like his goodies versus seeing his parents walk around without any clothes on! :smile:

On second thoughts, use the full 15kg!

Guest proud2beaussie

Hiya,

My advice to you is not to assume anything regarding baggage allowances with any

Airline .

I have been a qualified agent for 12 years now and in that time I have had countless

Discussions with airline staff about consistency in charging for excess baggage and

I have got precisely nowhere.

Most airlines will allow a couple of kilo’s over the limit without charging but it’s not

Publicised because they don’t want every passenger turning up with 25 kilo’s and expecting to get away with it,it’s pretty much down to how good a mood the check in agent is in on the day,one day they will let it go,the next they will charge the fee,so it’s best to err on the side of caution and try to stick as close as possible to the published allowance.

Agree with you NigelinOz, because Singapore do not make the extra allowance offical you either, like for us last year feel p$%^&d off that you could of taken more, or you gamble on taking a few kilos extra then sweat at the checkin desk. Maybe they should copy Cathy and go for 23kg.

I suppose that all depends on how much your son would like his goodies versus seeing his parents walk around without any clothes on! :smile:

On second thoughts, use the full 15kg!

Well the first thing to go would be his 3kg of Whittard's White Hot Chocolate:shocked:

Guest proud2beaussie

I have found most airlines that I have flown with to be generally lenient when it's only a matter of 2 or 3 kilos extra but they certainly can get nasty if it's more than about 5 kg's over,although as I said it really depends on what sort of a mood the check in person is in on the day,some days they will let someone with 28 kg's on with no problem,the next day they will crack it and want to charge yu excess baggage for 5kg's-there is very little consistency,I can speak with knowledge of this because as part of getting my agents qualification I did 4 weeks work experience at the Qantas desk at Melbourne Airport and came face to face with the inconsistency,one person I worked with was always easy going the other person was very strict !.

So best to use caution if at all possible,failing that beg for mercy.

Archived