When to get a TFN and open a bank account?

Jim bob

Hi all,

We were granted our PR visa 28/5/09, we are going over in October to validate visas, we will only be there about 3 weeks.

My question is this when would be the best time to open a bank account and get a TFN, due to my commitments here in Portugal & UK (I have a company to close or sell in Portugal and a house to sell in the UK) we maynot be going for good until September/October 2010. However if everything goes well it could be about May next year.

From my understanding you need an address in Australia to get a TFN and also to show the bank.

Very gratefull for any help, we are very excited about the move and are fast becoming snowed under with everything we need to get done.

Once again thanks in advance for any help.

Jim Bob

Guest Stefan Watts

Jim Bob

You can open a bank account before you go and you will activate it when you arrive in Australia. A number of the Aussie banks have offices here, try Commonwealth

Senator House

85 Queen Victoria Street

London EC4V 4HA

Tel +44 (0) 20 7710 3999

Fax +44 (0) 20 7710 3939

Regards

Stefan

Hi

We went for a reccie in March and are moving in July. It was reallt easy to open an account as you just need to take your passport with you. You can open an account in this way even while you are not living in Australia and you don't need any utility bills or proof of address. We opened an account with internet access so that we can set up any transfers from here. Really easy.

TFN can only be set up once you arrive in Australia I guess it should be possible when you visit, as you already have a visa number!

Good luck

Ulrike x

TFN are an easy process - from memory you can gointo a centrelink place and register there and then. Nothing to it really - you just logonto aterminal plug in a fewdetailsand gofrom there.

More info can be found here;-

Online individual tax file number (TFN) registration

Infact ypu can doitonline!

Same with banks they can be done online to - take you pick - westpac, commonwealth or you could try someone like HIFx who will offer the service along with currency exchange etc.

Hope this helps

Tim

• 1 month later...
Guest sazzle76

Hi.

Does anyone know how long it takes to obtain your TFN, we are going to apply online as soon as we arrive in oz but wondered how long it will take to come through?

Archived