should we stay or should we go!!??

Guest themussonsUK

Guest themussonsUK

I saw the ITN news last night and watched afghans climbing over barbed-wire fences in a Greek port on their way to Patros where they were stowing themselves in lorries. One who was interviewed said they were all coming to England....not the UK....England! There were thousands of them trying to get here and I don't suppose Greece is the only place there coming from. They are all seeking a 'better life' which I can understand....but the better life here for them consists of free money, food, housing, cars etc etc....something that me and my OH have been paying for out of our own pockets for years. This is what grates at me and this is why we are looking to 'better our lives' by going to oz. However, I am still feeling scared to do this, because if Im honest....I don't want to be pushed out of my country, which is what I feel is happening. It is breaking my heart to see what is happening here because 20 years ago it wasn't like this and I worry what it will be like in 20 years time, when my kids are all in there 20's. I have family and friends I love here, a nice house, good schools around us....yet I am still feeling pressured into making a huge decision because of the state this government has let OUR country get in....and I don't know that it will ever get any better. If i knew the answer to that it would make my decision for me. My 7 year old goes to a predominantly christian/catholic school and i have NEVER seen her in a nativity play....and when your kid starts school, thats' one of the things you would treasure to see. But I've not had that opportuntity becasue of all this red tape c*!p and that saddens me beyond belief. She goes into Juniors this year wher we'll have Diwali day and all the rest of it, which i agree is fine for them to be educated about, but NOT at the expense of our 'christian' days, such as the xmas nativity. I don't want this to become a religious dispute but lets face it ..... the whole of the UK IS a religious dispute and the real British people are the ones suffering.

PLease will someone tell me .... with all this in mind... will mine and my families lives be better in OZ? We work hard, are NOT spongers and want the best possible future for ourwelves and our children. Is OZ the place for this?

There are things that are good in th UK of course there is...but how much longer will the good things last??? :unsure:

With those kind of values you'll be fine anywhere.

Whilst nobody can actually answer your question for you there's only one more question to ask yourself... At the end of your life do you want to regret the things you did? or the things you did not do?

Great honest post and I for one wish you all the best.

I lived in a small village in Suffolk as a child and I remember the first door to door migrants coming to sell stuff and we all went and hid as we wondered who they were.

Now there is no doubt who they all are.

I used to feel like I was pushed out but you know perhaps its a good thing because apart from the Aborigines we are all migrants here so on equal footing.

No where in the world is perfect.Australia has its problems too. The grass is greener on the otherside for some but not for everyone. Its a big move you have to really want to go to make it work.Only you can decide missing family and friends is harder than you think it will be.

sarah

Guest cctxt

If it's a mono-cultural "christian" society your looking to live in, then Oz will be far too multicultral for you !!!

And incidently, wasn't it emmigrants FROM the UK and europe that "destroyed" the original, ancient and highly valuable culture of Australia ?????

I'm sure the BNP will be proud to have you as a member of their political party with views like yours!!!

I suggest that perhaps you should put yourself in the position of an African parent living on a dollar a day and ask yourself if you would want something better for your family - but then isn't that why you're thinking of going to Oz?

Guest Magnetic6
I saw the ITN news last night and watched afghans climbing over barbed-wire fences in a Greek port on their way to Patros where they were stowing themselves in lorries. One who was interviewed said they were all coming to England....not the UK....England! There were thousands of them trying to get here and I don't suppose Greece is the only place there coming from. They are all seeking a 'better life' which I can understand....but the better life here for them consists of free money, food, housing, cars etc etc....something that me and my OH have been paying for out of our own pockets for years. This is what grates at me and this is why we are looking to 'better our lives' by going to oz. However, I am still feeling scared to do this, because if Im honest....I don't want to be pushed out of my country, which is what I feel is happening. It is breaking my heart to see what is happening here because 20 years ago it wasn't like this and I worry what it will be like in 20 years time, when my kids are all in there 20's. I have family and friends I love here, a nice house, good schools around us....yet I am still feeling pressured into making a huge decision because of the state this government has let OUR country get in....and I don't know that it will ever get any better. If i knew the answer to that it would make my decision for me. My 7 year old goes to a predominantly christian/catholic school and i have NEVER seen her in a nativity play....and when your kid starts school, thats' one of the things you would treasure to see. But I've not had that opportuntity becasue of all this red tape c*!p and that saddens me beyond belief. She goes into Juniors this year wher we'll have Diwali day and all the rest of it, which i agree is fine for them to be educated about, but NOT at the expense of our 'christian' days, such as the xmas nativity. I don't want this to become a religious dispute but lets face it ..... the whole of the UK IS a religious dispute and the real British people are the ones suffering.

PLease will someone tell me .... with all this in mind... will mine and my families lives be better in OZ? We work hard, are NOT spongers and want the best possible future for ourwelves and our children. Is OZ the place for this?

There are things that are good in th UK of course there is...but how much longer will the good things last??? :unsure:

Ok...i'm playing devils advocate here. You say you live in a nice area, nice friends, home etc. So exactly what is making you feel pressurised, is it from personal experience or is it the media telling you that the country is going to pot by sensationalising stories?

Of course not having a nativity play would wind most parents up but i have to say where i live this is unheard of, do parents not have a say in things at the school? Personally i have all the nice things you describe in the UK and i also want the best possible future for my children but i want to go to Australia,having lived there before as a teenager,because me and my husband see it as a bit of an adventure.

I view it as a move for life, whereas my husband see's it as a great place to bring the kids up for a few years in the sunshine so i i suppose we'll just have to see how that one pans out!

To feel pushed out of your country to me is such a sad thing,don't believe everything you read and please don't take this in a patronising way, but i do think the British media have a lot to answer for and you are certainly not alone in your views.

Australia is a fantastic country but it's not Utopia.

Natalie x

Guest gadgetman

I have a number of sympathies with the original poster. I think what people are missing is the fact that this has nothing to do with racism, its to do with unfairness and inequalities in the system.

Why, for instance, should an immigrant from the EU be entitled to come to the country and claim extensive benefits, pregnancy grants etc and be provided with a house and never work a day? Regardless of where they come from, why if they have never contributed a penny should they be entitled to these benefits which we have worked hard to pay for?

You can't blame these people for coming over, its the system which is fatally flawed. Where else in the world would you get all these handouts having contributed nothing?

I have worked all my life, mainly as an independeant IT contractor running my own business and never claiming any kind of benefit. If I was out of work I would be entitled to nothing because my wife works and I own a house. Its this kind of injustice which is fuelling the current unrest.

When there was the original referendum on the EU it was all about an Economic Community i.e. about harmonising taxes and free flow of trade. How and why was this extended to cover everything else?

I also agree about the massive, unwanted push for policitical correctness which has eroded a large slice of what being British used to be.

A simple example: nine years ago we moved to the US for a couple of years and over there its almost a crime to mention "Christmas", it was all about "the holidays". We used to laugh at this but Brtiain is edging ever closer to the same thing.

I quote from another forum that the ethos of the UK seems to be "Reward failure and dependency. Punish enterprise and self-sufficiency.".

All of these factors played no small part in our decision to leave and we haven't regretted it one bit.

Guest tenpounder

We feel the same way in Aust for the most part, and I for one am wondering if you would be coming here for the right reasons, we welcome people coming here because they love Australia and it's lifestyle, but thumbs down to the whingers coming here because they are disilusioned with their own countries.

Guest themussonsUK
If it's a mono-cultural "christian" society your looking to live in, then Oz will be far too multicultral for you !!!

And incidently, wasn't it emmigrants FROM the UK and europe that "destroyed" the original, ancient and highly valuable culture of Australia ?????

I'm sure the BNP will be proud to have you as a member of their political party with views like yours!!!

I suggest that perhaps you should put yourself in the position of an African parent living on a dollar a day and ask yourself if you would want something better for your family - but then isn't that why you're thinking of going to Oz?

Im sorry that it would seem you have clearly taken my original post the wrong way. I am far from racist and have much empathy for those people from wherever that are suffering and genuinely looking for a better life. Where you seemed to have missed the point is in the fact that thousands and thousands of people are coming here fo rthe sake of it to 'claim' whatever they can (and thats best part of everything) NOT to work hard and make a better life as we have done for years. We are the only country that LETs this happen and consequently why they are all coming here. We have a Romanian family that live next door to us who are very nice people.....we hardly see the husband as he is constantly at work. They wanted to come here to WORK for a better life and that is what they are doing. We have learnt a lot about their culture and what their life was like before and are in awe of the decision they took to come here and what difficulties they faced in doing so...yet they have done it the right way and settled here nicely. They also share our views on the spongers that are coming here.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a multi-cultural society...as long as the original culture isn't forgotten and Im afraid my friend you are clearly very naive if you think that that isn't happening here in the UK at an exceedingly fast rate. The difference is when we do make the move, we will respect the countries rules & religions and if we don't like it.....we'll go home!

Funny you should mention the BNP - are you in OZ or the UK?

I am of the understanding that Oz has strict policies on refugees and illegal immigrants entering their country - isn't that what the BNP are looking for here????

Guest Carrie

Hi

Interesting post. I'm a Teacher, been in Oz almost 5 years. I had to ask permission from Management to even mention the Nativity to my class last Xmas. I wanted to teach them a song related to the Christmas story and was considered a 'freak', so I wouldn't be so sure that England is the only left-wing PC place!

Guest SO,DIZZY
We feel the same way in Aust for the most part, and I for one am wondering if you would be coming here for the right reasons, we welcome people coming here because they love Australia and it's lifestyle, but thumbs down to the whingers coming here because they are disilusioned with their own countries.

WHO THE F*** IS "WE", STOP SPEAKING FOR THE WHOLE OF AUSTRALIA, AND IF YOU NO LONGER LIVE IN THE UK THEN YOU DONT GET TO DICTATE TO OTHERS HOW THEY SHOULD FEEL ABOUT LIVING HERE, AND THERE REASONS FOR WANTING TO LEAVE.. :no:

Guest themussonsUK

There are many factors in our decision to come to Oz. The main being my OH mother & sisters and brother live there and we love the way they talk about their lifestyle and their country compared to here. We are under no illusions that Oz has its problems too, but i really do not believe they are as bad as here in the UK. Whinging?? NO-just trying to be honest about my feelings!

There are many factors in our decision to come to Oz. The main being my OH mother & sisters and brother live there and we love the way they talk about their lifestyle and their country compared to here. We are under no illusions that Oz has its problems too, but i really do not believe they are as bad as here in the UK. Whinging?? NO-just trying to be honest about my feelings!

I'm not saying it is the wrong thing to do but, if you can, dont move close to the inlaws! About 6 hours away is probably about right. The reason for that is that if one of you has all "theirs" close at hand and the other doesnt then that has the potential to set up a them against me scenario. Far better for both of you to be out on your own, making your own lives here so that it is you both against the world. It can be very stressful and the resentment can bubble to the surface if it is always his folk who get to see the new baby, his folk who do the baby sitting, his folk who see the kids at Christmas, his folk that he can head off to if you have a barney, his folk who tell you that your curtains need replacing (I am sure you get the picture here!) And once you sense that you are isolated with none of your own around you then you can be quite vulnerable. You need to look after yourself in this regard otherwise you could find yourself out on a limb no matter how well you get on with his folk in general. Bear in mind too that their agenda is to entice him back into their fold so take what they say about lifestyle etc with a pinch of salt

As for the expectation that Australia is going to be any different PC wise - not in this lifetime. I know that Canberra is the most extreme PC but we have tin pot meetings where we have to sit and contemplate for 10 minutes the contributions of the indigenous elders and their graciousness in allowing us to have our tin pot meeting on "their" land. A meeting, may I add, which has nothing specifically to do with indigenous people. Also, spending hours on a plan to involve the CALD community in a particular activity in an area where the CALD community is next to zip.

Actually, I would like to think that the British worm is going to turn sometime soon and for the betterment of the country. My son certainly thinks so and he does tend to keep a finger on the political pulse.

Guest Three Lions
I'm not saying it is the wrong thing to do but, if you can, dont move close to the inlaws! About 6 hours away is probably about right. The reason for that is that if one of you has all "theirs" close at hand and the other doesnt then that has the potential to set up a them against me scenario. Far better for both of you to be out on your own, making your own lives here so that it is you both against the world. It can be very stressful and the resentment can bubble to the surface if it is always his folk who get to see the new baby, his folk who do the baby sitting, his folk who see the kids at Christmas, his folk that he can head off to if you have a barney, his folk who tell you that your curtains need replacing (I am sure you get the picture here!) And once you sense that you are isolated with none of your own around you then you can be quite vulnerable. You need to look after yourself in this regard otherwise you could find yourself out on a limb no matter how well you get on with his folk in general. Bear in mind too that their agenda is to entice him back into their fold so take what they say about lifestyle etc with a pinch of salt

As for the expectation that Australia is going to be any different PC wise - not in this lifetime. I know that Canberra is the most extreme PC but we have tin pot meetings where we have to sit and contemplate for 10 minutes the contributions of the indigenous elders and their graciousness in allowing us to have our tin pot meeting on "their" land. A meeting, may I add, which has nothing specifically to do with indigenous people. Also, spending hours on a plan to involve the CALD community in a particular activity in an area where the CALD community is next to zip.

Actually, I would like to think that the British worm is going to turn sometime soon and for the betterment of the country. My son certainly thinks so and he does tend to keep a finger on the political pulse.

This is definitely true! I have had to spend the last 4 years seeing my wife's family constantly (literally daily) and never seeing my own family or friends at all. It does, as Quoll rightly states, start to make you feel quite isolated. You feel like you are on your own (probably because you are) and it can make you feel almost resentful. You do get a sort of ''them against me'' thing building up in your mind even if you are not aware of it. NEVER being around ''your people'' is very hard; you yearn for contact with people who are ''on your side''. The reality is that members of your OH's family are never going to care about you like they do about your OH!!!! Don't delude yourself on that issue!!!!

Also, don't be too easily persuaded by Aussies and some expats talking Australia up. As Quoll has said, they are bound to do that because a) that's the Aussie way - everything is always best in Australia. Everything is cheaper and fairer and sunnier and lovelier and bigger and all that any sane human being could ever want and b) because they want your OH to move out here!!!! It's selfishly motivated at least in part and so don't take what they say literally!

I have to agree with an earlier post - if you are coming to Australia for negative reasons (leaving something bad, not liking the present, fearing something) then you are going to have a harder time. It may be OK, but you are coming for the wrong reasons. Many such immigrants will find themselves unhappy here, and far from home. If you, on the other hand, are seeking to come here because of the positives you are seeking, then it will be easier for you.

Guest Andy

This is typical of Britain today, the mussons post was giving their thoughts on the state of the country which happen to be fairly spot on and they are shouted down as racist. It was not a racist post in any way shape or form so stop trying to distort it.:mad:

Guest Count Zero

HaHaHaHa!!!!! The highly valuable culture you speak of was not even capable of building a shed! Highly valuable my ar-e, the best thing that ever happened to Australia was Captain Cook and his men landing here, shame he didn't do it sooner. Its like Britain being proud of cave men!

Australia is a great country thanks to the many hard working immigrants that came here.

Guest themussonsUK

Great advice - Thanks! Yes am already aware of this, which is what is rather selfishly I admit, making me 'dither' in my decision. My family have always been around and have been good to us....his hasnt....and I do believe that I will be in a situation at some point where i will feel very vulnerable due to this. BUt I keep telling myself he should have the opportunity to get to know his family properly...but then i think i could be setting myself up for a fall!!! I cant keep dithering though...its driving me mad!! x:arghh:

We got married in a third country so that there would never be any bickering about who could go or not go to our wedding - none of them came - problem solved!!!

Also Australia is a third country for us so we'll both be immigrants together - can't get a more even playing field!!

Sue x

HaHaHaHa!!!!! The highly valuable culture you speak of was not even capable of building a shed! Highly valuable my ar-e, the best thing that ever happened to Australia was Captain Cook and his men landing here, shame he didn't do it sooner. Its like Britain being proud of cave men!

Australia is a great country thanks to the many hard working immigrants that came here.

You will find the portugese wqere her a couple of hundred years earlier mate

Guest tenpounder
Hi

Interesting post. I'm a Teacher, been in Oz almost 5 years. I had to ask permission from Management to even mention the Nativity to my class last Xmas. I wanted to teach them a song related to the Christmas story and was considered a 'freak', so I wouldn't be so sure that England is the only left-wing PC place!

Hi Carrie

I migrated to Aust in the 60's and although Aust was advertised as a christian country at that time no one worried about what his neighbors religion was or how they worshipped, now so many years later with the coming of 'Multiculturalism' and 'political correctness' Christians are made to feel like a minority here, with the making of Xmas cards in schools, Xmas celebrations, and Xmas decorations in some shops etc frowned upon in case it upsets members of other religions, we always thought there was room for 'all minority groups' here in Aust, now we are feeling that the 'minority groups' in this country are not tollerant of us, why do people leave their own countries for the freedom of Australia only to try and change our way of life to what they left behind?

I hope I haven't put anyone off with this observation, Australia is still a great country but sure needs an overhaul.

Archived